Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs

Old 09-23-2018, 04:47 AM
Planar Protector

Oh and lastly I forgot to add... I take back my suggestion that killing Lenrel/Ren`Rex always causes an insta-pop of Phido/Grisok. Judging by the above comments that isn't the case, it should trigger a pop in the cycle but only with a chance of spawning the high shamans, not a guaranteed trigger.
Old 09-23-2018, 07:51 AM
Planar Protector

I'm reading these posts over again and maybe I'm mistaken on the cycles bit. I can't actually see any pre-2002ish evidence for a Quillmane-style spawn cycle. Just a straight up common/rare spawn system.

It may be that Lenrel and Ren`Rex were simply wandering ph's for Grisok/Phido, with no other mobs involved, until some point in 2002?

That would make FOUR eras:

1) Paw (static)
2) Pre-break (roaming rare/common)
3) Post-break fix (order of Lenrel/Ren`Rex swapped)
4) ??? Spawns inserted into cycles ala Angelfire (and modern EQ)
Old 10-06-2018, 06:14 AM
Planar Protector

Throwing this here to document the break:

Jul 03 2001 at 1:48 PM
Quote:
I stand corrected. According to the Sony Web Site, listed previously, Ester the Tester states:

"Well after much searching and repoping of zones we have finally found that the mobs are completely missing.

One of our developers is working on putting those npc's back. I will post when it will be patched.

Thank you everyone for all the input and information, it made tracking down this problem much easier.

Ester"
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/q...99418611924564

Jun 22 2001 at 10:46 AM
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/q...99322480638588

And the fix:

Jul 12 2001 at 1:11 PM
Quote:
According to the July 10th Patch Message, the quest is now officially FIXED! Happy hunting all!

Swol, Monk on the Erollisi Marr server
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/q...99496148775338
Old 10-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Planar Protector

I've been looking at these posts in chronological order again (yes I know, I'm a loser), and I found this one, post-patch:

Jul 18 2001 at 11:56 AM
Quote:
I spent an hour last night with a lvl 32 ranger, as well as shouting for any sightings, and we didn't see a single shaman or high shaman spawn. I heard that the shamans are PH for the high shamans, but are there PH for the shamans? There weren't any other monks doing the quest, and noone was selling the heads, so I don't think anyone else was taking them, they just never showed up.

I f anyone knows I would appreciate a response.

Zhao Vizier, Xev server 32nd season monk of the silent fist clan
Mystic Healer by heart
http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/q...99547536950603

If the spawn system were still common/rare for Lenrel/Ren`Rex -> Phido/Grisok, we would expect Lenrel/Ren`Rex to have been found by them that night. The only way they wouldn't have found them was if they sucked, and I don't think they sucked that badly.

This points towards the patch being the time of the change to a spawn-table system, and also when Ren`Rex/Lenrel -> Phido/Grisok got reversed.

Three eras then:

1) Splitpaw (Ren`Rex for Phido, Lenrel for Grisok, common/rare, common/rare static spawns) (till Paw revamp)
2) Post-paw (Ren`Rex for Phido, Lenrel for Grisok, common/rare roamers in SK) (till June/July 2001)
3) Post-patch (Lenrel for Phido, Ren`Rex for Grisok, spawn tables in SK) (post June/July 2001)

Am I crazy? Does this make sense? Yes? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Dolalin; 10-06-2018 at 06:21 AM..
Old 05-01-2019, 02:38 PM
Planar Protector

Trawling Everlore on archive.org and found this info on Shaman Lenrel / High Shaman Grisok:

Quote:
Submited by: Wailen On: 1/24/2001 7:45:11 AM

According to the information i have gathered on him, he has a placeholder/trigger to make him spawn. Killing Shaman Lenrel (spawn at loc -6776 x -1535) will make High Shaman Grisok spawn after approximately 18 minutes at loc -6587 x -1452. Both locs are so close that you can almost see from the one to the other.
http://web.archive.org/web/200107022...how&BID=148770

Still consistent with my theory above about timelines.
Last edited by Dolalin; 05-01-2019 at 02:44 PM..
Old 05-07-2019, 04:55 PM
Planar Protector

More info here about how the gnolls in SK worked pre-patch.

Quote:
Submited by: Raveneye On: 10/2/2000 6:39:57 PM

To the above post: someone obviously planted the heads and other loot on Kizdean Gix. He does not drop heads as normal loot, even rare, of that I can assure you.

To all the monks interested in the Red Sash (and the three heads needed to get it) here is what I've seen as a Shadowknight hunting in S. Karana for the last 5 levels.

The Gnoll Shamans that used to hang in PAW now roam freely in SK. There are placeholders, and head-droppers. To get a head-dropper to spawn, kill the placeholder about 4-5 times.

Ghanex Drah (no placeholder) - a level 16ish Gnoll Necro with pet who likes to hang out at the undead ring in SK. He's tougher than he cons, and sometimes the stuff around him will aggro so be careful. He drops the 1st head you need, it's his own!

High Shaman Grisok (placeholder is Shaman Lenrel a level 18ish Gnoll who drops RTS rare and rawhide stuff) - Grisok is about level 20ish (conned blue to me at 24) and is a wanderer. He (or his placeholder Lenrel) can often be found wandering from the Aviak Villiage west all the way to the Hermit's Hut. Most times I've killed them it has been near the Hermit's Hut along the hills. Grisok drops the Head of Shen as well asoccasionaly an RTS or some rawhide.

High Shaman Phido (placeholder is Shaman Ren'Rex a level 16ish Gnoll who drops an RTS rarely and rawhide occasionally) - Phido is the rarest and toughest of the Gnoll Shamans. He is about level 21 or so and also wanders about the zone making him hard to locate. When I've killed him and his placeholder it's usually been just North of the Aviak City near the hill with the lone Aviak guard tower on it. I've also seen him running by the Spires at PAW, so his path seems to be from the spawn point North of Aviak Town then Northwest to PAW. He drops the last head you need, Dareb's Skull, along with mundane loot (at least that's all I ever got off him).

So there you have it, a guide to hunting and killing named Gnolls in SK. There is one other named Gnoll, Gnashmaw, an undead Gnoll Reaver looking guy who is very rare and drops the Serrated Blade (a cool looking jagged scimitar) and a vial of stuff that Rogues can use to make strong poison. Gnashmaw is rare, and a wanderer, so I've no clue where he spawns or where he walks, as the only time I saw and killed him he was near PAW (I thought he was a runner Tsech Mas at first).

Good luck all in your quests!

Disclaimer: The above level information on Gnolls is composite. We all know that mobs usually spawn in a 3-4 level RANGE, so I took the average of what I believe to be the correct range and used it here as a tool to HELP YOU. That said. try not to flame me and look foolish.
http://web.archive.org/web/200112250...ode=35&id=7171
Old 05-07-2019, 05:23 PM
Planar Protector

Tapatalk has helpfully cloned the monklybusiness boards and I was able to locate this gem talking about a spawn-table-based system for the shamans as of October 2001.

Quote:
While wasting hours and hours in SK I came across a interesting fact. Escaped Gnolls are the key link to Rares. They roam along the sides of the zones. Shaman are on the rare spawn along with a big list of others. Even with brother qwinn up all the shaman still spawned. Just keep the named and the Escaped Gnolls clear and you should be in and out of sk in under 2 hours.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/monk...n-sk-t590.html
Old 05-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Three eras then:

1) Splitpaw (Ren`Rex for Phido, Lenrel for Grisok, common/rare, common/rare static spawns) (till Paw revamp)
2) Post-paw (Ren`Rex for Phido, Lenrel for Grisok, common/rare roamers in SK) (till June/July 2001)
3) Post-patch (Lenrel for Phido, Ren`Rex for Grisok, spawn tables in SK) (post June/July 2001)
I am now pretty convinced this is the way things went.
Old 07-29-2019, 06:43 AM
Planar Protector

While crawling for something else, I found a quest listing for this on the EQLizer site that explains how the shamans worked in pre-revamp Splitpaw.

Quote:
Red headband: This headband is awarded by another NPC (not sure of the name) who stands inside the guild courtyard. The requirements all come from the Infected Paw Zone, located in South Karana.

a. head of brother shen: found on a rare spawn in the same room as Shaman Lendril (sp?) This is a room with one elite, one shaman, and shaman Lendril who must be killed over and ovr until the rare appears. You'll know you have the right one because he's a high shaman.

b. skull of brother Dareb: This skull is found on High Shaman Phido, a rare spawn in the spot of shaman Ren Rex. He spawns about every 15 or so ren Rex's.

c. head of Ghanex Drah (sp?) This is a named knoll that spawns in a room at the end of the maze on the entrance level. He almost always drops the head, and has a weak pet with many HP.

d. as usual, the orange headband must be turned in as well.
https://web.archive.org/web/19991013...gheadband.html

Edit: WOAH jackpot, I found a map of the old Paw with spawns and everything!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Paw.jpg (19.5 KB, 2 views)
Last edited by Dolalin; 07-29-2019 at 06:53 AM..
Old 11-18-2019, 05:36 PM
Planar Protector

This page gives spawn locations (I think?) for Grisok, Phido, Ren`Rex and Lenrel in SK:

http://nkeq.tripod.com/html/r_to_s.htm

They seem to match up with the "area" maps on the first page of this thread, they're pretty much dead in the middle of them.

Code:
Name			Zone Name			Level	HP	Race	Class	Position(s)
High Shaman Grisok	Southern Plains of Karana	16	470	Gnoll	Shaman	(126, -5853)
High Shaman Phido	Southern Plains of Karana	18	530	Gnoll	Shaman	(2741, -5668)
Shaman Lenrel		Southern Plains of Karana	15	300	Gnoll	Shaman	(-205, -5952)
Shaman Ren`Rex		Southern Plains of Karana	16	470	Gnoll	Shaman	(1753, -4036)
Last edited by Dolalin; 11-18-2019 at 05:40 PM..