Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-08-2019, 02:12 AM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ2 failed for the same reason that EQNext died: John Smedley.
Shut your goddamn mouth. John Smedley is the only reason you're actually posting on this forum right now and not seeing a "FBI seized this website" message. The guy actually was the driving force that wanted to see EQEmulator live on because he cared about the game. He's met with Rogean and nilbog at multiple EQ-related events in real life, and you better believe he's for the 'common person'. Several Cease and Desist letters would have moved on to action taken against EQClassic, EQEmulator and Project 1999 if it wasn't for him. He's also the reason the Daybreak agreement exists.

The reason why he's not considered a good businessman is because he cared about his consumers too much.

He's had to make some really rough decisions over the years. One of those was shutting down SWG, which was beyond his control. LucasArts actually wanted to kill Star Wars Galaxies because 'it wasn't like WoW' and not bringing in the people that they wanted to cater to. They had a year to shut the game down after NGE failed at doing that. I personally worked with SWG's old community manager during my first job in industry and the horror stories I have heard do not include John Smedley. If there was an example of someone who was an outside-the-box thinker, it would be about Smed.

Smokejumper (Dave Georgeson), on the other hand, was a shady, F2P-snake-oil salesman which is why EQNext never took off.

You take that back about John Smedley right now.

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 10-08-2019, 06:40 AM
Planar Protector

Ogre wizards, dark elf paladins... you name the abomination, you can pretty much create it.

I thought that was an awful start, coupled with the fact that you NEEDED a decent PC to run it at the time...without that, the game was so poorly optimized it just wasn't worth the blocky frame rate losses :/

Then yeah, Timmy the stupid-head dies and everyone loses XP...creating elitism in low level areas.

I lasted a month beyond my free trial trying to enjoy it, then quit... and at some point I went to WoW instead.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastboy21 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ2 failed for the same reason that EQNext died: John Smedley.

The man had no understanding about what made EQ such a success deep down. He flopped like a fish again and again trying to leverage his EQ success into something else...and he just can't do it.

The details matter...but his leadership never produced good results the last decade he was the CEO.

EQ2 has had success, but mostly not from the die-hard EQ folks who flocked to it the first few weeks after launch. The EQ1 players mostly left (either to WoW or back to EQ and later Vanguard)...and eventually some fresh players made their way into EQ2 and liked it for what it is. Most of that generation of players has little or no exposure to EQ1 except on places like p99.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Shut your goddamn mouth. John Smedley is the only reason you're actually posting on this forum right now and not seeing a "FBI seized this website" message. The guy actually was the driving force that wanted to see EQEmulator live on because he cared about the game. He's met with Rogean and nilbog at multiple EQ-related events in real life, and you better believe he's for the 'common person'. Several Cease and Desist letters would have moved on to action taken against EQClassic, EQEmulator and Project 1999 if it wasn't for him. He's also the reason the Daybreak agreement exists.

The reason why he's not considered a good businessman is because he cared about his consumers too much.

He's had to make some really rough decisions over the years. One of those was shutting down SWG, which was beyond his control. LucasArts actually wanted to kill Star Wars Galaxies because 'it wasn't like WoW' and not bringing in the people that they wanted to cater to. They had a year to shut the game down after NGE failed at doing that. I personally worked with SWG's old community manager during my first job in industry and the horror stories I have heard do not include John Smedley. If there was an example of someone who was an outside-the-box thinker, it would be about Smed.

Smokejumper (Dave Georgeson), on the other hand, was a shady, F2P-snake-oil salesman which is why EQNext never took off.

You take that back about John Smedley right now.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 AM
Kobold

God I wish I could play a vanilla eq2 Fury again, with the old graphics/particle effects and sound. Honestly would donate to that project as well.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:57 AM
Sarnak

Never played EQ2, all my friends stuck with original EQ so did I. Plus I was pretty sure my computer wouldn't be able to run the graphics.
Old 10-09-2019, 08:11 AM
Sarnak

I realy like EQ2.
Starting on exile island and then arrive in Freeport.

Getting my first home there and starting to decorate it with items i earned for cleaning out the city from scum.

Pros:
i liked the grafix
lots of very nice quests (not to mention kill XXX mobs, i mean like the one with the woman in the commonlands who fell in love with a ratonga but they weren't allowed to meet each other, or i think, it was a kerran woman)
heritage quests
betrayal quest was great
talking to Nagafen (if he would have known i killed him on EQ1... OMG)
mentor system was great, it wasn't a problem anymore to level out your friends.
always grouping with people you like
nice lowbe dungeons: wailing caves, fallen gate, so beautiful.
nice zones: nektulos forest, Runnyeye and... ahh so many nice zones.
nice raids: Killing Talendor on noob-island.
so many different mounts

cons:
To easy to solo.
button smashing, to much skills and abilities
performance problems with not high end PCs
PvP sucked for casual player. You were ganked from player with AA maxed out but in level range (due to exp locking) plus complete PvP equipped. no chance to survive (EQ1 PvP was more about fighting for spots to camp)
I started on PvE then and had lots of fun.

If there were a freeshard with EQ2 i would definetely give it a try.
Wanted to have a look on EQ2 live but there are some troubles with email adress and account.
(still got emails from them but its not working to contact them with it etc.. weird)

But yes, Freeshard would be great, but we all know thats not gonna happen.

Would be great to play a bit EQ1 and then EQ2, just how the mood is.

Asmodina - Level 39 Wizard << blue >>
Corvinia - Level 51 Druid << green >>
Old 10-10-2019, 11:23 AM
Aviak

All this chatter prompted me to install EQ2 for the first time in many years. Come to find out all my characters have been renamed with an X or a Z due to some merge and the game is nothing like I remember. On top of all that disappointment the game would consistently crash. Was best to leave it where it was I guess!
Old 10-10-2019, 11:38 AM
Planar Protector

iirc the lore for eq2 is spot on but the art and gameplay was not for me.

Edit: lol yeah secrets is right! I love the gif hahaha
Last edited by Jibartik; 10-10-2019 at 11:41 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 03:01 PM
Fire Giant

My roommate at the time EQ 2 launched had a much better computer over mine and had specs that could easily handle what was printed as necessary for the game. And its performance on launch day was absolute balls. It was horrid. He returned it within hours on launch day telling the Gamestop employee that the account code was reading as having been previously used and got a full refund which he put towards a purchase of WoW on release.

My computer at the time had been upgraded as I had played EQ, then DAoC, and then City of Heroes & Planetside, and it was in good shape for other games. The performance issues reported with EQ2 and it being a massive resource hog killed my interest. Then World of Warcraft released and it ate my soul.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:04 PM
Kobold

Maybe I'm in the minority, but as far as the feel of Everquest I think that Vanguard actually did a better job than EQ2 did, though that is about all that Vanguard did better unfortunately.
Closed Thread