Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2019, 04:59 AM
Planar Protector

I estimate that 86% of people making completely unfounded guesses to support some kind of conspiracy theory are delusional and kind of dumb. However, 14% are not correct. Also probably space aliens, that's a thing.
Old 12-15-2019, 05:09 AM
Sarnak

How do we know its not space aliens doing the boxing, we need a history channel documentary on this.
Old 12-15-2019, 06:47 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentEpilot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How do we know its not space aliens doing the boxing, we need a history channel documentary on this.
You meant Hystry Channel. Ahh the good old days when it was the Hitler Channel and there was an entire channel dedicated to Discovery Wings.
Old 12-15-2019, 10:18 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You meant Hystry Channel. Ahh the good old days when it was the Hitler Channel and there was an entire channel dedicated to Discovery Wings.
Funny, I hadn't heard anyone else (but me) refer to it as [All] Hitler Channel. At least it was interesting then.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:29 PM
Planar Protector

"Everyone is doing it" is always a screaming red flag. If someone using this phrase isn't able to name names it means with certainty that person is doing it themself.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kron [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seen the exact same thing on Green. Noticed a strange duo in Highkeep one would pull and the 2nd mage toon would send in pet to attack but never stand up or cast spells.

The puller must be max lvl because he would tank the Guards and the AFK sitting toon sending in the pet was only lvl 23.

I think in 4 days the 2nd toon is now up to lvl 36 so I thought it be funny to PM him (the puller) and said hey your boxing is way to obvious you should try to change it up so people don't report you.

He blew up on me saying it's his friends character and that his just helping him so they can group together.

Grant it his "friend" will sit for hours in the same exact spot and only use his pet to kill the guards while they beat on the high lvl guy.
This doesn't necessarily scream boxing to me. Mage pets are decent so this could be an effective duo strategy IMO. Or, if the puller was much higher level, he could just be keeping aggro on him while the mage pet kills the mob so the Mage gets XP...kind of like a PL (and though the pet would eat XP, it's still theoretically faster XP if the Mage doesn't have to med ever).
Old 12-16-2019, 03:05 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dont resent people who box I understand in earlier PC RPGs and MUDs the player more often than not controlled an entire party rather than a single character and some people prefer that playstyle, but it does ruin p99 when people are boxing and you can't.

The exemptions are just abused at such frequency I think it is irresponsible for them to exist at this point.
I would bet decent money that the majority of boxers on P99 are not using IP exemptions. Maybe I'm completely off base, but with VPNs, wouldn't requesting an IP exemption just put them on the staff's radar to check in that the people aren't boxing? If you were gonna box, why wouldn't you just VPN and try and fly under the radar. I bet the staff checks in on the people with IP exemptions to ensure they aren't boxing.
Old 12-17-2019, 12:51 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by vossiewulf [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I would still be unable to fathom why boxing would be fun in any context
I played on a few servers with boxing rules, and there's usually 2 different rulesets. One is two toons with no MQ2 (Imperium for example) and another is as many toons as you want with MQ2 support (Visions of Grandeur and Casual Dreams, EZ server, and more).

It really comes down to different playstyles. 2-box servers without MQ2 support are basically saying "If you want some extra power, you're welcome to it, but you have to manually play the two toons" so it can make EQ play a little more like, say, Secret of Mana for example.

Unlimited boxing MQ2 servers make EQ more of a "party management" game rather than a heavy roleplay experience. Think Dragon Age instead of Fallout, where you care about multiple characters and the gameplay is more in your ability to multitask. Different playstyles for different people. Most people played EQ for the social and roleplay aspects, though, which is why P99 and its no boxing ruleset makes the most popular server.
Never met a good quest he didn't have to do twice.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:04 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bazia [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
IP exemptions are abused so frequently that they should be eliminated admittedly at the expense of the tiny tiny minority who actually do use them correctly
No
Old 12-17-2019, 02:18 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenspectre [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It really comes down to different playstyles. 2-box servers without MQ2 support are basically saying "If you want some extra power, you're welcome to it, but you have to manually play the two toons" so it can make EQ play a little more like, say, Secret of Mana for example.

Unlimited boxing MQ2 servers make EQ more of a "party management" game rather than a heavy roleplay experience. Think Dragon Age
Thanks for the perspective.
Closed Thread