Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Casters

Closed Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 08:51 PM
Aviak

Red face Mage vs. Necro Pet XP

Mage and Necro are both good solo classes. However, something that bothered me about playing Mage was the pet taking half my XP most of the time. There are ways to get around this but they aren't always viable.

So my question is do Necros suffer from the same problem? Or do they frequently deal >50% damage than their pet?
Old 12-13-2019, 09:23 PM
Planar Protector

Necro's probably have it worse than mages in this regard. They tend to lack efficient DD spells, they don't get a pet with a big damage shield(neutral damage). and if you want to kill off your pet, bone chips are a much bigger PITA than having to buy something cheap off a vendor. You don't mention anything about playing on blue versus green which is a big difference. There are a lot more places necro can charm leveling up in blue.
Old 12-13-2019, 09:35 PM
Planar Protector

Find literally any duo partner and stop having to worry about this.

If you're intent on soloing and having pet engage from the start and don't like pet taking xp mages have it much better. Pet reagents are cheaper to buy and easier to get, the pet spell is faster to cast (i think) and the mage summon lines are frankly just more friendly for it (ie fire pet with big innate DS).

But really ... find a duo partner.

Functionally solo for solo necros have it better. I'd generally just treat my pet like a dot and root the mob with low level, load up with some dots and a baby snare. When low level root dropped fear and send in pet. Straight up fear kiting the pet is fairly likely to steal your xp unless you wait to send it in.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Last edited by Troxx; 12-13-2019 at 09:41 PM..
Old 12-13-2019, 10:20 PM
Planar Protector

I found this less a problem with necro. Pre-root, I would snare/dot/fear until mob is 60% ish, then send pet. After root, Id just park and dot the mob and set pet for the second half to mop up. Mage doesnt have reliable CC so you're basically reclaiming your pet at end, or pet chaining if you want full xp.
Old 12-13-2019, 10:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMN [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Necro's probably have it worse than mages in this regard. They tend to lack efficient DD spells, they don't get a pet with a big damage shield(neutral damage). and if you want to kill off your pet, bone chips are a much bigger PITA than having to buy something cheap off a vendor. You don't mention anything about playing on blue versus green which is a big difference. There are a lot more places necro can charm leveling up in blue.
I disagree. Necros can't race their pet straight up like a mage can by nuking hard, but with snare and root and fear, necros have options to damage a mob safely while pet is not doing damage.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tethler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I found this less a problem with necro. Pre-root, I would snare/dot/fear until mob is 60% ish, then send pet. After root, Id just park and dot the mob and set pet for the second half to mop up. Mage doesnt have reliable CC so you're basically reclaiming your pet at end, or pet chaining if you want full xp.

That's just wrong if you are in a place where you can actually fear kite a mage can chain fire pets and finish mob with 1 nuke. Easily more mana efficient and certainly faster kill rate than waiting for 60% to send a pet in. And mages shouldn't care one bit about having to reclaim pets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tecmos Deception [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree. Necros can't race their pet straight up like a mage can by nuking hard, but with snare and root and fear, necros have options to damage a mob safely while pet is not doing damage.
Who cares though if you can just reclaim your pet or chain them? You think those necro spells are going to be more efficient mana per damage than a full life, damage shielded fire pet? Puuuhlease. killing efficiently is something a mage excels at. Way more efficient and faster than necros using their class pets for sure.
Old 12-15-2019, 03:32 PM
Fire Giant

Mage's are much less efficient without focus items, namely the fire pet isn't nearly as good. I would say mage's have the edge early on while necro's definitely have the edge at higher levels.

[ Kurrat - Arch Mage ]
[ Kurrate - Crusader ]
<Legacy of Fire>

Old 12-18-2019, 05:53 PM
Kobold

At lower lvls as a necro its more efficient to just let the pet take 50% rather than burn mana trying to compete. Eventually spells surpass the pet and its not a big deal to out-dps them. I would test out what it took to do over 50% of the damage (dark + fire + 2 nukes, for example). After that I'd make sure I did that on each mob.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Fire Giant

You'll deal with it for awhile until your dots begin to do more damage. Us mages have a hard nuke that handles it for us.

Find a duo until your in mid 20s
Closed Thread