Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 01:07 PM
Orc

Stein of Moggok quest without ports makes for a great walking tour!

Erudin -> Erud's Crossing -> South Qeynos -> North Qeynos -> Qeynos Hills -> Surefall Glade -> Qeynos Hills -> West Karana -> North Karana -> East Karana -> Highpass Hold -> Kithicor Forest -> West Commonlands -> East Commonlands -> West Freeport -> East Freeport -> Ocean of Tears -> Butcherblock Mountains -> Greater Faydark -> Lesser Faydark -> Steamfont Mountains -> Ak'Anon -> Steamfont Mountains -> Lesser Faydark -> Greater Faydark -> Butcherblock Mountains -> Ocean of Tears -> East Freeport -> West Freeport -> East Commonlands -> West Commonlands -> Kithicor Forest -> Rivervale -> Misty Thicket -> Runnyeye -> Gorge of King Xorbb -> East Karana -> North Karana -> West Karana -> North Karana -> East Karana -> Highpass Hold -> Kithicor Forest -> West Commonlands -> East Commonlands -> West Freeport -> East Freeport -> North Ro -> Oasis of Marr -> South Ro -> Innothule Swamp -> The Feerrott -> Oggok

Whew. I've done that quest a dozen times or so but never realized how vital the ports (or at least binding/gating) really was...
Old 05-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Planar Protector

Coin of Tash enchanter spell quest is probably up there with Stein of Moggok. You visit ten old world cities and then have to go back and forth across Norrath for the final steps.

The quest takes about 2 hours with druid ports. On foot it's a lot longer.

Retouched all faces for the EQClassicHD Texture Pack
Retired from p99
Old 05-17-2017, 02:42 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by planarity [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Route unnecessarily long:

The Hole > Neriak > Nek > EC > WFP > EFP > OOT > Butcher > GFay > Lfay > Steamfont > Ak'anon
Thread is Wedar approved for Hole Teleporter awareness.
Old 05-17-2017, 02:52 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder73 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The most classic Everquest experience for me happens when a Qeynosian decides to leave the quiet hillside of Qeynos and travel to the big city to buy gear (Freeeport).

The most epic trip, and what really made me fall in love with EQ, was when me and a couple of my friends got tired of hunting wisps in Eruds crossing and killing kitties on Kerra Island and started our trip to the big city.

Kerra Isle - Tox - Erudin - Erudin Docks - Eruds Crossing - South Qeynos - North Qeynos - Qeynos Hills - West Karana - North Karana - East Karana - HH - Kithicor - West Commons - East Commons - West FP - North FP

Young adventurers in Qeynos naturally explore Odus because its close, and they naturally want to get to Freeport at some point. So to me this is the most classic trip in all of EQ for a little Monk.

17 zones of glory and danger and one of the best times I have ever had in a video game. No SoW, no Ports, exploring everything along the way. I think it ended up taking us a week to get from Qeynos to FP due to stopping down in some zones to hunt along the way.
Stories like this remind me of those good times we all had way back. I remember me and my friends all bought EQ together on the first day Kunark came out, and it taking hours to figure out how the hell to find each other's characters. We were all calling each other on the phone. One of my friends managed to get his character stuck inside a wall in Felwithe, a GM had to come by to get him unstuck. We eventually managed the trek all the way to Butcher's Block and took a boat across OOT to East Freeport. That was just magical. We knew about UO but we never thought there could be a 3D mmo, especially one that huge as EQ.
Last edited by Sage Truthbearer; 05-17-2017 at 02:54 PM..
Old 05-17-2017, 03:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastagoog [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Yep I remember the Qeynos to Freeport run.
By far an epic adventure when blackburrow ran out of merbs that gave xp.
I missed the quiet life in Qeynos Hills tho.

Had the most unorthodox group too...3 random stangers starting off in Qeynos: me a paladin, a wizard and a bard. We seemed 2 play the same times so we hung out alot and explored the shit outta Blackburrow/Qeynos Hills. We we're even aware of the Karana's so was our immersion levels in Blackburrow.

We we're all nubs and grinding low con mobs didnt mean shit aslong as we saw that "you gained experience" message.

One day we logged in and the bard was online but not in Q Hills or Blackburrow. He had met some other people and travelled to Freeport and the surrounding xp zones. Finally after a week or so the Wizard and I decided to make the journey. We met another guy who said he knew the way and off we went.

Fuck it was a journey. So much being lost, so much running in circles, those cliffs as you head up to highpass hold were epic.
Then Kith Forest. Finally arriving in freeport for a bind then heading to EC tunnel....holy shit never seen so many toons trading and batering going on.

We joined orc groups and hunted in befallen...shit was epic!!
We died to Griffins before we knew about /loc so you would look for a land mark as you died to try find your corpse. Sometimes it'd take you 30 mins, sometimes 5 mins. But no one cared it was to epic of an adventure to care.

Sadly our bard pal enjoyed some good xp and leveled ahead of us. Velious had just launched and he bought us velium weapons that had a "nuke proc". He told us about Giants....and wolves...(Greater divide)...we never exp'd with him again... He was deep into the 40s by the time we broke the 20s.

By the time I hit level 28 I had /played 30 days, had 2 jagged bands, 2 orc fang earnings, a black bastard sword from Runneye, and a set of bronze. I still remember buying my 2nd jagged band thinking I had made it...2x 5ac 3 str rings...so good.

No one cared back then about meta paths, or BiS.
People just had fun.
I miss the days before meta play.

All these adventures came from getting outta Qeynos Hills to freeport.

Post if the year. Making me reminisce on the glory days.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 05-17-2017, 03:39 PM
Planar Protector

So here is my 'from Qeynos' story. We were like level 10 and decided to leave Qeynos / Blackburrow and find somewhere else. Keep in mind this was like day 4 or 5 of live or whatever, wasn't a lot of resources.

So we unfold our CLOTH MAP that came with the box, and we see a village in one of the karanas. No maps, no locs, just running around to find these 'hut landmarks' that were on the cloth map, surely they were of significance.

So we're just running around this huge zone, no idea where to go, taking forever, fearing for our life from all the red cons around us and there.... we find it! Huts in the distance atop large tree trunks! Just like the map indicated!

Surely this was an important city where we could bank, bind, etc. Nope, it was aviak village. All these dubious birds running around, we're like, WTF? Wound up dying eventually, at which point we did the impossible Human run to Freeport.

Keep in mind, this was back when a 15" monitor (not widescreen) was a luxury, we may have been playing on a 13" monitor. And this was when humans were blind as hell without a light source and we didn't know what the hell the gamma setting was. I remember we'd run in the dark doing F8 and the second we picked up a target and it conned red we panicked. I think we untargeted it, and then clicked at certain spots on the screen with the mouse to ensure the beast wasn't right before us, and maybe take a route around it.

Was fun as hell! I miss those days before meta play too. I thought I was a boss when I saved up my cash to get a Shiny Brass Halberd on my human warrior (16/48 2hs... MAGIC so i can kill wisps and ghouls).

Eventually found out about the Langseax of the Wolves quest (19/44 2hs, +5 str / +5 dex I think) and did the run back to Halas. Probably gave frostbite like 10 shirts before leading me to Paglan or whatever his name was, was a tough fight for me... but ooooooh man, I thought I was real hard wielding that sword.
Old 05-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rygar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I remember we'd run in the dark doing F8 and the second we picked up a target and it conned red we panicked. I think we untargeted it, and then clicked at certain spots on the screen with the mouse to ensure the beast wasn't right before us, and maybe take a route around it.
This is actually how Wedar still plays the game.
Old 05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samoht [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This could have been shortened by going Kith > High Pass > EK.
That was my initial route, but at a lower level I was advised to go around. Not sure if it's faster, but it's safer than Highpass, and I avoided the EK ramp at the same time.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:26 PM
Sarnak

If anyone cares, I finally got around to timing the trip from Kith to EK. I started at the EK bridge, ran to the RV zone line in Kith via High Pass, then back to the same spot on the EK bridge via the Gorge. I had high level SoW for the entire duration, didn't stop for anything other than a 1-2 second stop at the RV zone to note the time, and didn't get lost or suffer similar delays.

The trip via High Pass took 8 mins, 21 seconds. Via the Gorge was 6 mins, 51 secs. So even with SoW, it's quicker to avoid High Pass and the dreaded ramp.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:50 PM
Planar Protector

Thats interesting for anyone doing Norrath races, make a note [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread