Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 11-25-2019, 01:33 AM
Sarnak

Default Melee Shaman?

So is this the new craze? I can't tell you how many shaman I have been grouped with lately that do nothing but melee. No buffs, rarely cast spells, never medding, just melee. If you didn't know any better you would swear they were a rogue or warrior.

So is melee shaman the new black? Have people been doing it wrong all these years?
Old 11-25-2019, 03:03 AM
Banned

Some people use groups to up skills. I remember twink warriors on live in SolB that were constantly changing out weapons and if you turned weapon damage on, they weren't doing much...
Old 11-25-2019, 03:54 AM
Sarnak

I'm a shaman and I can tell you I hate these people... but it gets better as you level once they realize their melee damage is bad. HOWEVER, shamans actually make okay tanks for pugs... you can pull with slow to keep agro and if you're a troll/ogre with banded you should be able to take some hits. I did a lot of tanking while grouping in the low 20s mainly because there are no tanks available. I also find a lot of times meleeing can be useful soloing low blues/greens, mainly so you can save your pet and also increase its damage by turning the mob away from it.

But yeah, the melee shamans are a problem in the lower levels.
Zekdos - Troll SK
Old 11-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Planar Protector

Imma let it pass long as it ain't a barb.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Kobold

With a decent weapon they melee really well at lower levels. Solo or in duos melee is a decent option. Past 40 or so, not so much, but until then, it works well.

They should be hasting and slowing as well though.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:17 AM
Planar Protector

What level are you talking about op?

Before 8 shams have basically no mana regen and will melee as well as a warrior. After that if they have a few spells to cast they might as well stand next to the mob and get a swing in between spells. Despite being loaded with buffs, many of those buffs aren't worth the limited mana a sham has when you're lower levels. Dex when there are no procs? Stam without CH? Agi? +20 hp +3 ac inner fire? Short durations? Talisman won't stack with shielding nor IF with courage/skin spells, and ac buff is lower than cleric. It isn't a terrible idea to just buff melee with str and tank with ac imo before like 20, fire off a drowsy or a nuke, heal a bit.

24 and regen is cool. But you still don't likely need to be casting it on non melee (unless shams or necros). You still don't need to use most stat buffs. Max hp even on the tank isn't too big deal before CH. And again, depending on group many of the sham spells are overwritten anyway.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:38 AM
Large Bat

Wink

Have you been grouping with me? I'm new to shaman and I do melee quite a bit (only level 16 atm). I get my buffs on tanks and dps, and maybe throw inner fire on the casters. I'll slow the mobs and then melee if I'm above 60m.

Most groups I'm in have another healer and we pull 2-4mobs at a time. I'll grab one with a slow and let it beat on me for a bit (full banded). Then because my heals suck I'll cast inner fire 15 times to get my hp back up.

I know this won't last. It doesn't work all the time at this level. I was in a croc group where I just slowed and healed and I was happy with that. I honestly thought there was more healing in shaman class as I always roll healers.

I also do switch out weapons to keep all the skills up, but I ask the group if they mind, and never during dangerous spots.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

After 35 shamans can make a macro that allows them to melee while meditating so if they are visibly stabding and not just showing melee damage while sitting and you cant see the attacks as another player those are two different things.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:11 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After 35 shamans can make a macro that allows them to melee while meditating so if they are visibly stabding and not just showing melee damage while sitting and you cant see the attacks as another player those are two different things.
Then again, so can all casters.

Fucking slacker int casters not meleeing between med ticks. SAD
Old 11-25-2019, 11:02 AM
Banned

I have personally seen this over the weekend a few times with a few different shm.

I think its a combination of the fact that you have to cani dance and catch server ticks to continue to med.

[I have played a shm to 60 so I know those feels.]

But since this is classic you have to press meditate every time you cani and try to catch the server ticks. A bit more work. So most of these players are just lazy assholes thinking they can just melle till oom nuke then med up or just melle for days. Subpar dps.

You will see more shm medding prob past 35 when you can just sit to auto meditate. I don't remember pressing meditate pre 35 on blue99 till they patched it into this server I was like "wait wut".
Last edited by silo32; 11-25-2019 at 11:05 AM..
Closed Thread