Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 08:56 AM
Kobold

^ all of which other classes are better at doing while also bringing actual dps or other benefits to the group. OP, get click staff. Get jboots. Quad. Get 60. Be valued by a raid group.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:24 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buriedpast [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Be more than DPS?

you are shit at DPS. find something else. My wizard is often eye pulling, CC'ing, lining up pulls, kiting stuff etc for group. Active on stuns, mega active on bind sight tracking through to find nameds if no tracker in group, whilst still being very close to as efficient as a sit nuke sit nuke wizard, who is a waste of time.

SO many tools at your disposal.
Even with all of these I feel bad grouping on my wizard because there are so many other classes that can do that stuff more efficiently.

Quadding through the high 50s is painful. 54 right now and each quad in GFay guards is 1% or less.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:06 PM
Orc

On live I used to quad in skyfire. Need a fairly big mana pool though, so might not be viable until higher in the 50's with decent gear. Also pathing on P99 is totality different so may not work out too well. I also think the Chroma Drakes (dispelling bastards) on P99 have a bigger range that they dispell at than on live. I remember them only dispelling in close to melee range, but dotting you with a dispellable dot at range. So avoid those at all times.
Old 03-05-2015, 04:22 PM
Fire Giant

this is not WoW

Wiz is about doing light DPs while maintaining >50% mana pool. then shit hits the fan and BOOM dps up the wazoo and crisis over

they're also good at cc but seldom do you see it
Old 03-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Sarnak

I think one big point that so many miss, is that many times, your group is limited by the number of mobs available.

My point being, in many dungeon groups, like mistmoore, city of mist and KC, there simply aren't enough mobs to go around for everybody because things get crowded. This means that a wizard is just as good as many other DPS classes and in some cases, better DPS and sometimes better utility. That wizard gets to land a big nuke on every single monster and the wizard actually outdamages many other DPS classes. This is only because there isn't an endless stream of mobs and the group is only able to kill X mobs over an amount of time. In these cases, the only thing that matters is 'how fast can we take this mob from full to dead to quicken the time before it respawns' and the wizard who is unable to spend all of their mana due to the lack of mobs, does this quite well.

Are wizards bad in groups that get to constantly DPS and have constant non-stop pulls? Yeah, they are. Again, the point I am trying to make, is that so many times when groups gloss over a wizard, that wizard would provide excellent DPS and utility to their group, because that group is limited by the number of mobs available to them(cuz they are in a crowded KC or CoM), not by how much constant DPS is being done. Could other classes do the job better? Yes, but in many of these cases, where the number of mobs is the limiting factor, the differences are extremely negligible and in some cases, the wizard is the better choice.

One sad thing to keep in mind though, is that if your group IS limited by the number of monsters available and a wizard is able to contribute positively, your group is getting pretty crappy XP overall. The fact is, if your group is NOT killing monsters relatively constantly, the XP is just so crappy compared to soloing for almost any class, or compared to a group that has endless mobs who is able to kill non-stop.

But if you are in a KC RCY group and are sitting afk most of the time waiting for something to spawn because the place is packed, it is probably more detrimental to invite the Hybrid to your group than it is to invite the Wizard.
Old 03-05-2015, 05:33 PM
Sarnak

They're not bad at all it's just that p99 forums are the absolute worst echo chamber to exist

The single target stuns, the pulling, the CC. Eye of Zomm. Bind Sight. Wizards only good (read: the best) at -burst- DPS so don't hang your hat on doing damage. People have this really narrow view on wizards as 'nukers' but they really need to be played as fucking 'sorcerors.' Straight up Gandalf status.

And as an anecdote, if a wizard has any type of mana buff, from breeze to KEI, the 'oom wizard' stereotype is instantly dispelled. A wizard with c2 is straight up good.

"... I don't think I remember him digging for this long..."

The A-Team

twitch.tv/crexxus
Last edited by Waedawen; 03-05-2015 at 05:45 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Sarnak

Best class in the game. Send Redwiz a tell in game if you need help with anything.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:10 PM
Fire Giant

Any 60 wizard who's done HS or Seb knows that the lack of damage from wizards for those zones is palpable and that the "utility" from having a mana reserve, roots and stuns is not worth it, especially given many other classes can as well and their nukes themselves are negligibly better.

Either that or they're in denial.

I've kept the 70% mana reserve, I've kept the seb casters spell locked, I've duck-stuttered evac during questionable times, and I've root CC'd. The effect on the group was still quite underwhelming and a druid can do most of that with only .4 less damage/mana on top of all of their utility.
Last edited by sox7d; 03-05-2015 at 06:14 PM..
Old 03-05-2015, 06:14 PM
Planar Protector

ITT Players determine that Wizards are the new Rangers and that no class is actually worth playing.
Old 03-05-2015, 06:18 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aadill [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
ITT Players determine that Wizards are the new Rangers and that no class is actually worth playing.
My main was a wizard, retired at 60 because my excel spreadsheets had just confirmed their worthlessness in traditional groups. Not to say they aren't good on raids, quadding or chardok.

I now main a ranger, and have nothing but good to say about them. Hell, my ranger had more sustained DPS at 40 than my wizard did at 60.
Closed Thread