Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Old 12-27-2023, 05:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is an unfortunate reality for rangers, no matter how much you spend you will still just get annihilated around lvl 53 when mobs power spikes. I’d be curious going around on a bis ranger to see how they do but sounds like ac is broken for them regardless.
Like soloing low level blues toe to toe? BiS rangers outside bows and BFG’s have access to 91% self haste, 1.18 ratio 2h’s, and two 50% slow proc options you can even root joust until it lands. Later on, in Chardok half the mobs near the ent and zone out can be fear kited.
Old 12-27-2023, 08:57 PM
Planar Protector

Well I’m nearing 54 now and to be honest do not feel weak or underpowered. Certainly it doesn’t feel “too powerful” like the monk did. The total toolkit is good for getting the job done efficiently and without much actual difficulty. What the Ranger lacks in sturdiness it makes up for in the ability to break off direct combat and either heal up or kill by alternate means.

Tankiness: B- to C+
DPS: B
Utility: A-
Buffs: B
Gameplay fun: A+
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 12-27-2023, 11:08 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Well I’m nearing 54 now and to be honest do not feel weak or underpowered. Certainly it doesn’t feel “too powerful” like the monk did. The total toolkit is good for getting the job done efficiently and without much actual difficulty. What the Ranger lacks in sturdiness it makes up for in the ability to break off direct combat and either heal up or kill by alternate means.

I made a post a few years ago about the most fun class at 60 when evaluating All aspects of the game. Interestingly ranger had the most votes followed by bards.
Old 12-29-2023, 10:59 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troxx [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Agreed with this, also playing ranger, also level 54. There's a cool overlap between monk and ranger with gameplay fun, as both are incredibly fun -- and then theres places where the monk shines and the ranger lacks, and vice versa.

Where have you been hunting at? I've been planted in KC pretty much since level 52, log in for an hour or two for a short group. pretty decent exp this way, and fun to pull KC
Old 12-30-2023, 01:15 AM
Planar Protector

I’ve been in the same area. I scored a Tolan’s bracer a while back so I’ve been slumming a lot outside in Dreadlands. A decent group in KC is faster xp but sometimes I enjoy being antisocial and playing a more relaxed pace.

Call me crazy but I actually do enjoy bowing things down … even though it can be slow. It’s a nice change of pace from all the other classes I’ve played.

After this toon hits 60 I’ll have played em all to level cap other than enchanter, wiz, rogue and sk.

They’ve all been fun in their own way. If I’m brutally honest, I think I may have actually enjoyed monk least of all of them so far. This isn’t to say the monk class isn’t really damn powerful, mind you … I just honestly have enjoyed it the least.

Old 12-30-2023, 06:59 AM
Planar Protector

It’s not the fastest but it’s not slow as you pointed out. I definitely found if reliable and refreshing to be able to log on, kill half a dozen spawns, and log whenever needed. The bracer opens up a lot of options. While rotting a 4k+ hp npc isn’t quick it’s easier than meleeing one.

You have a 2h and some SCHW’s or something? Fleeting quiver?
Old 12-30-2023, 08:43 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah I have a seahorse belt for haste, 20/30 Bow of the Huntsman, Fleeting Quiver, tolans bracer from a bow kiting standpoint. Weapons include an Argent Protector, Swarmcaller/Natures-wrath (thanks Jimjam), Wurmslayer, 11/20 1hb and 10/20 piercer. I traded in my monk’s TStaff for an IFS and a Fungi which I gave to the ranger to use.

All in all I’d say my gear is really good for current level as long as you ignore the raid alt twinks out there.

My least favorite part of grouping is loading gamparse. It makes me sad to be doing such “meh” damage. No amount of skill or try-hard is gonna make those numbers be better.

Old 12-30-2023, 11:26 AM
Planar Protector

Ah the AP is good for bowquest. Outside a fleeting quiver if you see a cheap 30 damage velium bow it’s worth picking up to rot stuff just for sake of burning less arrows. I love the Huntsman and other quick ones but every extra stack used is a 30 second click at the end.

At some point parsing won’t be that bad. When you consider the other utility you add. Getting to 60 is the real secret though. Having two solid discs and the spells really makes the class. Even 55+ gets much better with Trueshot and Chloro.
Last edited by Snaggles; 12-30-2023 at 11:30 AM..
Old 12-30-2023, 11:35 AM
Planar Protector

Chloro, skin like nature, thorncoat all amazing spells imo.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 12-30-2023, 11:46 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ah the AP is good for bowquest. Outside a fleeting quiver if you see a cheap 30 damage velium bow it’s worth picking up to rot stuff just for sake of burning less arrows. I love the Huntsman and other quick ones but every extra stack used is a 30 second click at the end.

At some point parsing won’t be that bad. When you consider the other utility you add. Getting to 60 is the real secret though. Having two solid discs and the spells really makes the class. Even 55+ gets much better with Trueshot and Chloro.
Yeah I'm planning on getting one (a 30+ dmg velium bow) eventually. It can be mildly annoying to have that proc break root so much but it does good damage. Roots make up most of my mana expenditure when bow rotting. I know it's not necessary (can always back up and shoot) but I enjoy being lazy.

But yes, I'm a freshly dinged 54 ranger with EC gear. Parsing ain't gonna be stellar in groups. Each level towards 60 should have a big impact ... especially levels 55+ when rangers get some innate attack.

I am curious and will parse it out when i'm 60 whether or not the increased attack compensates for the lack of triple attack with a main-hand 2hander on my 60 war.