Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2014, 11:32 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooj [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I think you're mistaking GMs for developers [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Anyway, for the past 2~ years or so the IRC channel has been overrun with some of the rudest people on the internet. 3 years ago it used to be a happenin' place and the people there were enjoyable to talk to. The channel never really received much moderation, so IRC was basically live R&F. Which is sad because it could be such a great tool for the server.

I did happen to check on it recently. There were very few people in it and no one spoke for a few days. So I'm guessing it's pretty dead now. I'd definitely start hanging out there again if we could get the population up. Need to do some advertising I suppose.
I'm sure if there was a stickied thread or news post and Rogean, etc.. used it and properly moderated it, it would gain traction and be properly used.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:40 PM
Sarnak

I honestly don't think any of the GMs or developers should use it. It's too personal and getting too friendly with staff is not a good thing IMO. Some people would start sending GMs PMs in IRC rather than reporting things through /petition or the forums. People would start being friends with staff and asking for or expecting special treatment. I think it's best that relationships between player and staff in any online game should remain as public as possible. So IMO the IRC channel should be moderated by players in the community who are known for being good peoples.

I've always thought IRC would be a great classic way to LFG. To my surprise it seems to have never been used for that here.
Old 09-09-2014, 05:17 AM
VIP / Contributor

Rooj, it'd be one thing if i was spending RL time ordering room service ice cream sandwiches while laying in bed half naked making jokes about joe namath after smoking in a secret nook with only certain specific people.

but to imply that staff and players should have absolutely no interaction, while it might look pretty on paper, is pretty ludicrous in practice. GMs arent allowed to play on this server, talking with guild/raid leaders and having open lines of communication makes all of our lives easier with figuring out whats going on. just because two people have a friendly work relationship does not automatically make them friends, and furthermore anyone that would ask a staff member for favoritism is not an actual friend to that staff member.

oh and spoiler alert, your EQLive Guild leaders were talking to their server staff if their guild was worth anything back on live.

and if u wanna listen to some player-staff interaction involving GM Events, Spiders, and McDonalds Breakfast with 2 of your P99 GMs - http://youtu.be/kCLwcWKXgJw

<3

Sirken's Twitch Stream - www.twitch.tv/sirken_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uthgaard View Post
Accusing me of simultaneous favoritism for two opposing guilds involves a special kind of stupid
Quote:
Originally Posted by karsten View Post
going after sirken is like going to a cheerleader convention and punching the only one that bothered to talk to you
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogean View Post
I've met Sirken IRL.. he ain't jelly of shit

Old 09-09-2014, 06:33 AM
Planar Protector

I miss IRC trivia
Old 09-09-2014, 06:35 AM
Planar Protector

I dug into the forums a few months ago looking for IRC information. Rogean himself said that the reason p99 IRC was closed was primarily "due to trolling" and people being immature.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirken [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
GMs arent allowed to play on this server
Is this a new policy? For some reason I thought GMs were allowed to play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I dug into the forums a few months ago looking for IRC information. Rogean himself said that the reason p99 IRC was closed was primarily "due to trolling" and people being immature.
Not sure what you're talking about. P99 IRC was never closed in the four years I've been on this server. The information for the IRC channel is still available in the Library section of this forum (see my signature).
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 09-09-2014, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Guides can play. GMs cannot.

The only GMs are Derubael and Sirken.
Old 09-09-2014, 09:28 AM
Aviak

If this channel was properly moderated trolling would not be an issue. Let's make this happen P99!
Old 09-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Project Manager

I think a lot of people do not know what IRC is or how it's used. Might need an install and usage tutorial.
Old 09-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Planar Protector

Derubael plays on PEQ iirc?

All I've seen on it is people getting mad when something gets said in the chat that they don't like. Probably like EQmac, easy to bait the player base there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Closed Thread