Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Enjoy new Freeport with Luclin models and people boxing/afk XP'ing on pet classes all over the place.

Some like it.
You know something is really and truly true when Swish posts it and you still can't disagree. I mean the whole thing about boxing/afk xp'ing with pets... it's like a robot masturbating: amazingly efficient and yet utterly joyless.

I do wonder whether a pet-free server (just disable the relevant spells and songs) could get along with a lot less server-side effort to stop boxers.
Old 03-22-2020, 08:27 PM
Kobold

Personally, I'm all for the QoL changes that don't change the "classic feel" of the game. To me, a large part of that feel includes character inter-dependency.

For example, I'd also love it if Luclin was released on p99, BUT I'd like it if the automated ports to The Nexus were either removed completely, or only ran once every 6 hours or something. I'd prefer it this way so that we'd still largely depend on porting classes to get places, it's part of the class inter-dependency that was built-in in the first place. I also think it'd be bad if we introduced the standard Bazaar, where you can set up shop and go AFK. That removes the actual interaction between real people. I'd be fine if the actual zone was there, but people had to actually /auc to buy and sell. It could very well become the new EC as the go-to place where people actively try to buy and sell. Again, the key is just not implementing the part(s) that detract from the "classic feel" or "classic experience."

In my opinion, dot damage has very little to do with the "feel" of classic Everquest, and it was better when we had it in the game. Same general idea with Keyring. Same with guild management tools.

As much as I'd REALLY make use of the shared bank, it does in fact take away from the class inter-dependency. Safest thing to do on p99 is to ask for a transfer (requires interacting with someone else), or you can risk it and try a drop transfer. I lost a Barbed Dragonscale Pauldrons the other day to a naked level 1 gnome rogue in EC (I should have cast see invis first - I did it after the fact, and there he was, strafe-sneaking directly away, wouldn't respond to my requests/jibes, then he logged). But I don't think that's punishable - it was my risk, I should have done various smarter things, like checking see invis first, or just asked a friend or guildy for a transfer, or tipped a Dial a Port or something.

So anyway, I definitely DON'T think we should just open up the floodgates and true the client up with Live. Hell no, I'd quit. I DO think a select few QoL things could be implemented as long as it doesn't detract from the "classic feel" or "classic experience."
Last edited by Toomuch; 03-22-2020 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: left some things out
Old 03-23-2020, 04:01 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Hefe [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Y’all really should check out Daybreak TLP.

It seems to be exactly what you’re calling for here.
are you sure? there is a lot of caveats with those servers:

What is a progression server?

Quote:
Quite a lot, but in short, your pet will stay with you when zoning, logging out, or if you become invisible. If your pet decides it won't equip an item you give it, it will give you the item back. Additionally, several adjustments have been made to the power curve of pets prior to the release of the Shadows of Luclin expansion.
Quote:
Zones now have a form of load-balancing that can spawn another version of a zone when the current zone gets too full.
Once those zones reach a certain threshold of players (it varies based on the size of the zone), it will spawn another version of itself. You will be able to choose which version of the zone you want to enter upon zoning in, or you will be able to use the /pickzone command to choose another version of the zone you are in. This should let people group up with friends but still be able to find things to kill and see plenty of other players.
We have also enabled technology to dynamically increase the maximum number of characters allowable on a server at any given time. Between these two new systems, we expect to be able to handle most of the players who want to play on the new server on the first day.
Quote:
By most descriptions, a "Classic" server is an attempt to recreate EverQuest exactly as it was at launch, using only assets and content that was available in March of 1999.
A Progression Server is another EverQuest server, and therefore runs alongside existing servers. It contains many changes that have been made to the game since 1999, such as maps, Krono, a more configurable UI, the removal of "hell levels" and race/class experience penalties, custom chat channels and serverwide or cross-server communication, the ability to memorize spells via right-clicks, the ability to "Find" specific NPCs or locations, and many other enhancements.
In cases where we have updated or changed the layout of zones, Progression Servers use the updated version of the zone geometry. In cases where we have changed items or player abilities, Progression Servers use those updated abilities. In cases where items were completely removed, those items will either stay removed or be available for a very limited time on Progression Servers. In cases where zone population was changed, you may not find all of the NPCs you remember in exactly the same places they were before, or you may encounter new NPCs with new loot that wasn't there before.
Quote:
Q: I died but all of my items stayed with me. Is this a bug?
No, you no longer have to find your corpse in order to retrieve your items if you die. If you are level 6 or above, though, you did lose experience and you can be resurrected to restore a portion of that experience.
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This doesn't really sound like the same game....
Old 03-23-2020, 04:49 AM
Fire Giant

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by paronga [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
are you sure? there is a lot of caveats with those servers:

What is a progression server?

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This doesn't really sound like the same game....
Either does the crap people are suggesting here.

In fact, I would guess if you asked ten different people where the “line” was in regards to how much you can change the game before it isn’t P99 anymore: You’d get ten different answers.

Best to just make it as classic as possible so everyone is on the same page.

Find me Monday, Wednesday and Friday @ https://www.twitch.tv/elhefe
Old 03-23-2020, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

No requests for tiered ToFS keys, to free up bag space? Or a nerf to Siren's Grotto? Or additional coldain shawls? These would be easier to make arguments for, but why not just wait and see what's to come? There has been talk of custom content being included possibly at some point. No reason to blur the line between Blue and EZ server.
Closed Thread