Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 05:59 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Videri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks, I’m not offended. Firstly, our opinions should be irrelevant. It’s the rules.

But since you asked, it actually does suck to log into a Tolkienesque fantasy land to roam the wilds, smite evil, or infiltrate the goodly city of Qeynos...and see a guy called Portsfoplat or Sirnobhead or Stabziez Urfacelol. It breaks our immersion. This is D&D, not a Blizzard game.

I still have fun playing EQ, of course, and I’m not freaking out over any name, but I would like to exert an influence on the server in the direction in which I would like it to go. Making the original post will have the effect of encouraging those who value the naming rules and perhaps discouraging those who would flout them. I hope others will also petition bad names. Then it will be up to the staff.
/shrug to each their own I guess. I don't really get bent out of shape about inoffensive names even if they are immersion breaking. It's just a game
Old 01-13-2020, 06:17 PM
Kobold

I don't want to live in a world where I can't create a character named Bud Tocks.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:19 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siege [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't want to live in a world where I can't create a character named Bud Tocks.
Maybe EQ aint for you, Budd.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-13-2020, 06:31 PM
Kobold

Can confirm the devs do change names if you petition. I've petitioned a few that were dumb and not even funny and/or clever, they got changed as per the server rules/naming policy.

If you're going to use a joke/meme name, at least make sure it's good.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:32 PM
Planar Protector

Send a message via ICQ to Uuruk Send a message via AIM to Uuruk Send a message via MSN to Uuruk Send a message via Yahoo to Uuruk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Cutting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Can confirm the devs do change names if you petition. I've petitioned a few that were dumb and not even funny and/or clever, they got changed as per the server rules/naming policy.
i bet you feel better about yourself.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:36 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuruk [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i bet you feel better about yourself.
Yea it was pretty funny, have to admit.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:15 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't really get bent out of shape about inoffensive names even if they are immersion breaking.
Well, that makes two of us. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

I don’t get bent out of shape. I just dream of a more immersive P99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cd288 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's just a game
I and many others envision a Norrath full of appropriate names, a living world of elves and dwarves and dragons, of parties named Jora and Elthil and Ectomus and Drenth. Can you trust Skelthus in his black robe? Would you raise your sword and shield with Tiria the knight? Can you rely on the guidance of old Ander Arrowsight through the woods?

Now, THAT would be a game.
Last edited by Videri; 01-13-2020 at 07:18 PM..
Old 01-13-2020, 07:17 PM
Sarnak

Am I the only one who thinks obsessing over the names of other players is probably the least of anyone's concerns? Why are we wasting the staff's time with this...on a volunteer emulator 20 years later. They didn't even care this much back in actual Classic, because you couldn't swing a rusty longsword without hitting someone named 'Legolasss' or 'Giimli'. I feel like as some players age they've lost the ability to have fun, and just want to shit on someone else's experience to feel validated.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:46 PM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Am I the only one who thinks obsessing over the names of other players is probably the least of anyone's concerns? Why are we wasting the staff's time with this...on a volunteer emulator 20 years later. They didn't even care this much back in actual Classic, because you couldn't swing a rusty longsword without hitting someone named 'Legolasss' or 'Giimli'. I feel like as some players age they've lost the ability to have fun, and just want to shit on someone else's experience to feel validated.
Take's literally 15 seconds for a staff member to check a name and change it to a random.

So much time wasted.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawqueue [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So if no one follows the rules then it's ok to break them. Strong logic from a bunch of 40 year olds
Closed Thread