Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 04:00 PM
Sarnak

Some custom ideas that others may or may not have mentioned:

- Drink and food have different timer effects so a simple muffin does not last as long as Shellcracker's Seaside Salad. Also a separate buff window where drink and food that offer bonuses are in affect _after_ the food is consumed. While the game had limitations for its time, it is a bit odd that food in storage is offering bonuses and once consumed becomes null. "Those bear steaks molding away in my backpack sure were buffing me up - too bad I ate it and it's not doing anything for me now."

- Taking an idea from Eve Online, players can hire a broker to sell their wares in the back part of the tunnel (in the open space around Shady) - thus limited in spacing. Their going rates is based upon the selling prices for what you wish to sell; thus the higher the asking price, the more these brokers demand. And for a further cost, every fifteen minutes they will shout the items they are selling. But this shouting range is limited to an area surrounding the area. Thus the outer edge of Shady's circular area might have someone at the tunnel entrance hear the offers, but those in the forest area would not hear squat. If the player does not claim their selling items back before their payment timer is up, any remaining items would go into a lay-a-way type of holding. Thus a player's delay would cost them to retrieve their items! General standing around and auctioning as it current works would still be free!

- To keep things "grounded" to the gaming planet we are on, add bits and pieces of other expansion zones: Broken Skull Rock zones from Legacy of Ykesha, Jaggedpine Forest, even have the lost dungeons randomly appear in their respected area on a completely random timer. That is, a group of players running across Northern Ro daily might suddenly stumble onto a sink hole in the sand. Until they enter, what level the monsters within would be unknown: might be simple, even par, or outright slaughter. And to add a bit more danger, once you enter, the same sink hold collapses onto itself and the group of players must find another way out (one way directional exit).

- Add the various planes from the Planes of Power expansion to parts of the gaming world that would appear to make "sense". As an example, the Plane of Disease would have an open portal from 10 p.m. to 2 a.m. in the back recesses of the Qeynos Catacombs where all the evil game masters reside. Obviously players as a whole would not have any AA points so entering these planes would be quite challenging. Those players that worship the Plaguebringer would be barred from entering such holy grounds. The monsters within would have to be revised to be appropriate to other planar equivalents. That is (off the top of my head), a mosquito in Disease should not be the same level as Inny in Hate. While the gods and goddesses themselves should be relatively even across the board, at the same time, being deities over mere mortals should (nearly) result in a win for them and not the players! But if the players do succeed in temporarily slaying one, their treasures should be worth the effort!

- And make players' actions have an effect upon other players. A group of good players slaying Bertoxxulous should have a (temporary) negative penalty against players that worship that now (temporary) slain god.

Wishful thinking!
Old 01-10-2019, 05:18 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Has any one said mobs should need LOS to cast heal spells on other mobs?
Old 01-10-2019, 05:29 PM
Kobold

The majority of these ideas you could implement with some learning/effort into EQEmu. In fact a lot probably are developed and being played right now. Weird how everyone wants to change something specifically meant to be immutable. While ignoring where this project sprang out of which happens to cater to all these 'innovations'.
Old 01-10-2019, 06:02 PM
Banned

autism detected.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:01 PM
Banned

Honestly, I think there is SO much content for the sub 50 grind that it'd be cumbersome to add more, aside from some quests to make 'decent' gear more attainable (not everyone can afford to Fungi their main, yet 100% of groups in CoM the other day contained a Fungi monk or tank, and some group members were even dropped from group for being 'undergeared') - maybe thats a generalization though. A lot of the 2018/2019 level 1-50 crowd also has the Nostalgia "bug" in a far-out kinda way, so 'new content' might be a little wasted on people wanting to "finally get their main to level 54" or "finally get their hands on an Epic" - both very 'classic' experiences.

Custom content could greatly benefit the endgamers, though, who have a wealth of knowledge about the game yet tend to drop-off because the Raid scene is so toxic, or they lose interest. I definitely 'cosign' the requests for, I believe it was, "hella Old Sebilises all around Norrath" - this could make the endgame group scene a little bit more viable and exciting, much like the current 30s-40s group scene. On my 'younger' alts, I'm always meeting new people and having a blast in zones I STILL haven't visited, while my 60 Sham is the Ferrari in the garage that only comes out for 'big deal' kinda things... or just farming pixels... or preparks for rare spawns... with the same people, in the same guild, searching after the same damn things. I'd love for my 'main' to feel fun and exciting again, with some addenda to the vast world of Norrath. I want Stella to get her Groove back.
Last edited by Hrothgar; 01-10-2019 at 07:03 PM.. Reason: engrish
Old 01-11-2019, 12:55 AM
Kobold

There have been some really great ideas tossed around over the years. Will try to dig up and link those threads to compile [I think *any* of this is a long shot in terms of ever even being considered, but its fun to imagine.] [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 01-11-2019, 02:20 AM
Banned

Hello reoccurring thread that will never happen
Old 01-11-2019, 06:30 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotton05 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Hello reoccurring thread that will never happen
I do agree, unfortunately. I started back messing around on P99 this week after nearly a year away. I went to the Coirnav TLP server last year when it dropped in March. Have kept up on raid content, but got bored during non-raid times due to the abysmal rate of exp there [I have two raid geared 60s there, but the rate of progress makes you not wanna level a crew of alts.] Then went to live and leveled to 90, then recently rolled on Phinigel when mercenaries became available.. went to 60 and grinded about 50 AAs before I realized I'd rather spend my non-raid hours here.

I love this project. The community is outstanding, A+ and cannot be matched, but the incentive to remain is so poor. This coming from someone who has been here since shortly after launch in 2009. The raid scene here is absolutely atrocious compared to any EQ server. It's 2019. The idea that the only thing to do these days is batphone fuckin' Kunark and Velious mobs is laughable. I've done it multiple times here and its no more fun than it ever was. The level of support that P99 receives deserves something better than the absurd high-end game that's present. Talented dev crew, a hungry player base.. make it great. I think launching that mythic Green server would take pressure of the idea of custom content, but for years I have wanted to see these guys do something more. Having spent countless hours over the last year experiencing EQ beyond Velious its beyond me why there is such a level of hatred for the path the development took. EQ became a much, much better game than it was through Velious. The quality of life changes weren't some kind of EQ killer, they embraced and improved the game in most every way. That said, I know there is some irrational aversion to taking any steps in that direction. So take P99 in a direction that doesn't include that stuff. There are hundreds if not thousands of excellent recommendations that have been presented that would in no way break that classic mold.

Side note, I saw a thread in one of these forums that basically asked GMs to remove themselves from raid policing. If nothing else is done, then at least do that. It is not and was never a GM role, and it ruins the experience once you are sitting at level 60. I cannot believe that staff has wasted countless hours over the years only to make everyone's raid experience less fun and less classic. GTFO with that.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:11 AM
Kobold

Ideally, I would like to see the Iksar epic quests realized and implemented. I would like to see the devs versions of quests that were active in vanilla but never went anywhere. Solutions to the BFG etc.

For the time frame of the server and the fact that the sleeper has been woke? It would be awesome to run an epic quest line to put that cloth hat dropping bastard back into his binding. Or make Kerafyms drop all of the time restricted things that everyone wants. Beat the sleeper, wardens come back etc. It would give the top guilds something to do, the younger guilds something to work towards, and us plebs something to dream about.

Yeah.. It's not classic, but neither is eight years of RoK and SoV.
Old 01-17-2019, 10:11 AM
Sarnak

Vendor in EC who sells guises for 750k