Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 12:03 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Druid Specializations!?

Hey new to P99! I am having a freakin blast playing!! I come from EQOA(Rip CLW) and EQ2. I am level 17 and I am torn on the 3 specializations to choose from. A part of me just wants to go evocation and nuke stuff like my Fury on EQ2. Then i hear that most group arent big fans of druids so we have to solo a lot, so Conjur sounds about right?! and Alteration is just the safe mode and is a easy choice...

I was just wanting to get other peoples perspective / opinion on what they have done or should of done =P

Appreciate the info!

~Hippycheez~
Old 04-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Planar Protector

Alteration is the only choice.

Healings, roots, snares, ports, charms, etc.

Conjuration is DoTs only. In this era, root rotting is an extremely inefficient means of soloing, regardless of your mana expenditure.

Evocation is nukes only. While druid nukes are actually rather underappreciated on this server, there's rarely situations where you will be firing them off one after another. In the situations where you are (burning out a named or a raid mob generally), your mana isn't the limiting factor. It's usually not pulling Aggro or the tank/raid not dying before the mob does. So the only benefit of specialization is moot in this case.

Alteration is the only choice for a soloing druid because charm killing it reduces the only spells you're casting (charm, root, heals). Grouping is the only choice because it fills your primary and utility roles best (backup heals and ports/root CC). Raiding is the only choice because it fills your role as group healer (heals).
Old 04-22-2015, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Alteration is the safe bet and the best long-term. Pick it unless you have some specific reason not to. Evocation can give good service if you like quadding. Most the time you'll switch to Alteration once your quadding days are finished. Conjuration sees mention in some very old guides, but it isn't a great choice. It only benefits one of the damage over time lines, and the more efficient one at that.

Danth
Old 04-22-2015, 12:39 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Evocation can give good service if you like quadding. Most the time you'll switch to Alteration once your quadding days are finished.
^this

dont be afraid to pick evoc if this fits your play style for soloing

quading may be lower xp per hour than charming, but is better xp per min, allowing you to afk med if you wanna do other stuff inbetween

it also allows you to pick from a wider range of solo spots since they dont have to be animals

your never locked forever on a spec, you can do the quest and respec after done quading like danth says
Old 04-23-2015, 09:12 AM
Sarnak

With the speed that I went from 34-46, I wouldn't bother with evocation. At 46, you can save your pennies for a Lumi staff and evocation becomes less helpful.

Alteration fits into all scenarios as Daldaen stated. There really doesn't seem to be much argument for anything else.
60 Iksar Monk
20 Halfling Druid

=== OMNI ===
Old 04-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Alteration is the safe bet and the best long-term. Pick it unless you have some specific reason not to. Evocation can give good service if you like quadding. Most the time you'll switch to Alteration once your quadding days are finished. Conjuration sees mention in some very old guides, but it isn't a great choice. It only benefits one of the damage over time lines, and the more efficient one at that.

Danth
I agree completely. Not really worth the effort Evo wise. Quad Kiting sucks long term. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-23-2015, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

I never regretted Evoc spec.
Old 04-23-2015, 10:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecily [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never regretted Evoc spec.
Cause you don't druid with maximum efficiency.

The only times your evocation mana expenditure outweighs your alteration:

1. Raids, nuking a mob dead.
2. Quadding
3. Weird groups where your nukes outweigh your casts of heals, regens, roots, snares, ports

In case #1 this is how many Kunark dragons are, but in many you need to stop to heal yourself and others from damage. And generally mana preservation is irrelevant. Even with full resist gear and a mana pool of around 2500, the mob should be dead before you're oom.

In case #2, quadding is only a good idea if you need to AFK for long periods inbetween your play to do RL things. Otherwise charming is more fun and better exp for an active playing person.

In case #3, even with a cleric in group you will end up backup healing. Roots are very helpful CC. Group regen helps save mana on healing random over aggroing monks and rogues. Etc.

Alteration is the overlord of druid Specializations. Will be even more so in Velious when druids get better heals.

Basically all priests, Necro's and Ench should go Alteration. Magicians should go Conjuration. Wizards should go Evocation.

Very few situations should anyone deviate from these Specialization choices by class.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:04 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daldaen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
1. Raids, nuking a mob dead.
2. Quadding
3. Weird groups where your nukes outweigh your casts of heals, regens, roots, snares, ports
That's exactly what I play my druid for. Raiding, quadding, agro kiting. All of which involve nuking. There isn't any charm content in the game worth my time atm, and you seriously don't need mana efficiency with charming. It's the most mana efficient method of hunting a druid has at their disposal. Druid heals are horrendously inefficient in Kunark, and I don't consider druids a healing class with their current spells. Once Velious drops, I'll reevaluate. Remember, evoc is for quads, direct nukes, and fire DoTs. I use Breath of Ro quite often. Quadding is my preferred method of hunting.

Considering abjuration for PoTG, honestly. I'll agree that Alt is more appealing in Velious, but Evoc is a good spec for now.
Last edited by Cecily; 04-24-2015 at 08:10 AM..
Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Sarnak

There are very few choices in EQ that are as clear cut as a druid choosing alteration as their specialization.