Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 10-14-2017, 05:38 PM
Large Bat

I would strongly suggest the latest version of wine from their official website, as what comes in the the standard repository is usually outdated.
https://www.winehq.org/download
Old 10-17-2017, 03:43 PM
Skeleton

Guys, first of all thank you for this guide. I have gotten all the way to the character selection screen with your help. Before I can get into Norrath, though, I am getting an error that this puzzling me. The character selection screen says my spells files are out of date (normally corrected by downloading the latest patch and uploading to the /everquest/ folder), but I am using the current version (as of now V45).

Steps taken:
1. reinstalled EQ multiple times
2. downloaded the v45 patch files and modified the /everquest/ folder per directions in "get started"
3. complete removal of all folders and and reinstalling wine.

I am currently running Wine 2.0.2

Any thoughts? Thanks guys.
Old 10-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Planar Protector

Make sure the files are extracted to the right directories and that the permissions allow the wine process to access them. Other than that.. I have no idea.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vriggchan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Guys, first of all thank you for this guide. I have gotten all the way to the character selection screen with your help. Before I can get into Norrath, though, I am getting an error that this puzzling me. The character selection screen says my spells files are out of date (normally corrected by downloading the latest patch and uploading to the /everquest/ folder), but I am using the current version (as of now V45).

Steps taken:
2. downloaded the v45 patch files and modified the /everquest/ folder per directions in "get started"

If you can - the easiest way is to install EQ on windows, get it all working and connecting to p99, then copy the install to linux.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:43 PM
Aviak

Default Random lockups

Anyone having some random freezing issues lately? I have been running on Linux for awhile with no issues but the last months I'm getting intermittent lockups every hour or two. Can't figure out what's causing it. Updated to wine 2.0 but, that did not seem to have any effect, issue persisted.
Old 10-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vriggchan [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Steps taken:

Wasnt there a .dll issue where the file was not named properly that was causing this issue for some folks?
Old 10-17-2017, 05:03 PM
Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izmael [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Make sure the files are extracted to the right directories and that the permissions allow the wine process to access them. Other than that.. I have no idea.
I'm rather new to the Linux OS. Just to clarify, I need wine to have read/write access to these files. any guides on how to validate that it does?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sereal [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you can - the easiest way is to install EQ on windows, get it all working and connecting to p99, then copy the install to linux.

i would love to, unfortunately my gaming rig is in storage while i transit the globe, and i'm leverging this linux book as a stop gap. Plus this is a fun way to learn more about Linux.
Old 10-17-2017, 06:54 PM
Large Bat

Quote:
I'm rather new to the Linux OS. Just to clarify, I need wine to have read/write access to these files. any guides on how to validate that it does?
You should just be able to right click on your eq folder, properties, then set permissions there.

So here's an option that could work for you to install eq then copy the files:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/downloa...-microsoft-si/

Use virtual box and the extension pack(for file share support)
https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

Actually having a copy of xp installed like that can come in handy for many situations.
Old 10-17-2017, 11:27 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kioti [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wasnt there a .dll issue where the file was not named properly that was causing this issue for some folks?
dsetup.dll. The one in the patch package is lowercase, the one from an EQ install may be uppercase (DSETUP.dll). Linux filesystems are case-sensitive by default, Windows is not.

So if you open a terminal in/cd to your EQ directory, run this
Code:
ls | grep -i dsetup
and get more than one result, you are probably still loading the original DSETUP.dll, which needs to be removed or replaced with the new one.
Old 10-18-2017, 04:19 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Probably it would be best for you to get a small Windows partition on that computer and boot to it to play EQ.