Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Server Issues > Bugs > Green Bugs

Closed Thread

Old 10-18-2020, 01:20 AM
Planar Protector

The only way they could have done the "40 damage cap" is if you argue that they didn't know their own damage caps when making kunark....?? I don't even imagine how that is possible? Of course they knew their damage caps... just in kunark they hadn't narrowed it down enough to really have guidelines on a "caster melee weapon" like the rod.

After doing more digging I found this

https://github.com/erfg12/EQClassic/...tack.cpp#L2454

This seems much closer to actual classic EQ damage caps... which... weren't much.

At level 20 the caps get lifted.

The idea that a caster with a staff in classic was MAXING at 6 damage till level 10?? It seems highly suspicious...

But then the real suspicious bit was when they get into higher level damage caps .... classic EQ just wasn't THAT itemized in terms of capping damages (they never thought that far until later ... which is why they were still making a 60/40 caster only weapon in their first expansion.......... and STILL making +40 damage weapons into velious....)
Last edited by Ivory; 10-18-2020 at 01:25 AM..
Old 10-18-2020, 03:31 AM
Planar Protector

The same people weren't in charge of coding as were creating items and zones. Someone made a joke item (which was removed very quickly btw) and didn't know the caster damage cap. It's not hard to believe.

A client decompile is objective evidence. I don't think this is ever going to change.
Old 10-18-2020, 03:51 AM
Planar Protector

Such late era code isn't objective evidence...

I posted EQclassic code though, and it shows the source code from the Everquest Trilogy box (which is exactly the timeline for p99)

https://github.com/erfg12/EQClassic/...tack.cpp#L2454

if(GetLevel() < 10 && max_hit > 20)
max_hit = 20;
else if(GetLevel() < 20 && max_hit > 40)
max_hit = 40;

This seems like a better source than the EQemu code that sources from live client so late. And just seems to fit what we know about EQ much more closely (which is a more broader stroke with things, they only went in and started really refining a lot of exceptions as things went on.... like even stuff like vampiric embrace for necros and SKs were the same at first and then they split it off for balancing reasons as their own versions later).
Last edited by Ivory; 10-18-2020 at 03:53 AM..
Old 10-20-2020, 06:16 PM
Planar Protector

Another "this makes no sense" bit of evidence for the non-classic code in p99 now.

Casters have a damage cap currently of 6 when they are under level 10....

Yet mages can summon a 7 damage staff at level 8?? https://wiki.project1999.com/Summoned:_Staff_of_Tracing

The classic code I posted simply makes much more sense https://github.com/erfg12/EQClassic/...tack.cpp#L2454

if(GetLevel() < 10 && max_hit > 20)
max_hit = 20;
else if(GetLevel() < 20 && max_hit > 40)
max_hit = 40;
Old 10-21-2020, 05:39 AM
Planar Protector

Looking for more evidence tonight (besides, well, that code I posted....which shows the damage cap lifts at level 20, and the damage cap is a blanket rule across all classes)

But, here is some things to back it up.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...#m981694730644

this person says, Feb 09, 2001

Quote:
it won't work, there is a soft damage cap until level 20, othervise, it would be fun to see newbe do 60 damage [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And according to the code, that's right. There is a cap till 20.

https://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/...00894383520402

also!!! from dec 21, 2001

Quote:
My lvl 12 Dwarf cleric now hits for 25 points of damage regularly.
So let's break this down. Currently with the code that says a priest will have 12 damage weapon cap (the brell hammer is 15 damage base)... let's calculate the expected damage.

BUT, a dwarf cleric has 95 starting str, and at level 12 will have 65 weapon skill.

The calculation is (Weapon skill + STR) / 100 = modifier

So with the CURRENT code, they would be expected to hit for about 19 or 20 damage.

BUT with a 15 damage weapon (the code I posted), it would be 1.6 x 15 = 24 damage hits or 25 if that level 12 has any strength (or uses yaulp).

Right where the person is saying it lands.

OTHERWISE you would have a 12 max weapon capped hitting for over 2x damage.... which wouldn't be happening so early with so low weapon skill. Unless they had a LOT of strength to make up for it (which isn't that likely on a cleric).

The other thing that's important to keep in mind... is that if the damage cap works on weapon damage... then that means even at low levels you can get up to some high damage hits.

Again, it's (weapon skill + STR) / 100

So if you gave a level 9 warrior a 10 damage weapon... twinked / buffed to 255 str, they would be hitting for roughly 31 damage a hit.....

Does that seem right to anyone to have a twink be able to do that??? The 20 damage cap on damage being a hard limit (regardless of what you try to twink with) is more more realistic to classic.

Heck, getting an ogre twink to 200+ str early wouldn't even be that crazy... and they could start hitting way over a typical damage cap.

Anyhow, that's what I found today, more looking tomorrow.
Old 10-21-2020, 05:47 AM
Planar Protector

https://www.reddit.com/r/project1999...eb2x&context=3

Oh wait! I found another bit of evidence!

This person is saying he had a friend demo the rod back in the day... and it was hitting for 200ish damage.

At 40 damage cap, it wouldn't hit that hard. Even with 255 str and 110 skill... 40 x 3.65 = 146 max you can hope for

BUT if you are working with the actual damage of the weapon, then you can get to a max of 219.

That's some good first hand evidence of the power of the rod back in the day!!! More evidence supporting the "40 damage max cutoff" isn't classic!
Old 10-25-2020, 02:23 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolalin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The same people weren't in charge of coding as were creating items and zones. Someone made a joke item (which was removed very quickly btw) and didn't know the caster damage cap. It's not hard to believe.

A client decompile is objective evidence. I don't think this is ever going to change.
Pure speculation
Old 11-09-2020, 09:18 PM
Fire Giant

Congrats to Palabin and her guildies for server first Rod of Annihilation! Long live Gnome bone knights! Hope it gets "fixed"!
Old 11-13-2020, 05:38 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarackObooma [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Congrats to Palabin and her guildies for server first Rod of Annihilation! Long live Gnome bone knights! Hope it gets "fixed"!
Thanksa!!

I hope it gets fixed too! I posted so much evidence... and also... after parsing the damage... it won't even break anything.

-wiggles eyebrows at devs- you knows you want tooooo -wiggles eyebrows more-
Old 11-14-2020, 01:18 AM
Planar Protector

Are you seriously arguing the itemisation team cared for stat mechanics in this game where cleric only pants would have +int instead of +wis?
Closed Thread