Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Kobold

Default Upcoming election

It's all over the news, its not too far away and its probably going to lead us into a depression. So who's it gonna be? Republican, Democrat? Or you might not even want to vote! I'd like to get some feedback from you classic EverQuesters, most people I always played with were majorly liberal, although im extremely conservative and far right wing.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:27 AM
Sarnak

tbh, in the end does it really matter? I consider myself independent but lean more toward liberal views on social matters. It really doesn't matter who the president or senate or anyone is, this country is run by one thing.. Money.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 AM
Fire Giant

I'm a spectral syncretic myself, but I'm leaning toward Obama because I hate everything about libertarianism and theocratic conservatism. Fiscal conservatives aren't so bad. Republicans don't have a viable candidate and aren't going to win. "Silent Majority" moderates aren't going to vote for any of them, the only one who had a shot at wooing moderates was Romney but I think Obama is ultimately still more attractive to most moderates.

Romney wants to increase defense spending. Because the USA needs to spend more than the next 20 militaries combined, amirite?
Old 03-25-2012, 02:34 AM
Planar Protector

I'm a Canadian but I've followed the election pretty closely, watched all the debates, etc. I think either Romney or a re-elected Obama would do the best job, whereas the rest of the candidates pretty much have no hope in hell of winning (and if they did win they would be horrible presidents). Newt (who could trust a guy named Newt, anyway?) kind of did "conservative republicans" a disservice by continuing to run and split the vote between him and Santorum. He's always had ups and downs, and every time he was popular he'd act belligerent or say something stupid and kill a lot of the enthusiasm voters had towards him. He also has a lot of political baggage and is hard to take seriously. I think Santorum is extremely ignorant and bigoted, and I know this sounds silly but I doubt people want the united states to be represented by a guy who's name has become synonymous with "the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the by-product of anal sex". His views on gay rights/reproductive rights are frankly just silly, and several times he's been challenged on them only to look like a fool.
Lardna Minch, 18 Warrior

Project 1999 (PvP):
[50 (sometimes 49) Bard] Wolfram Alpha (Half Elf) ZONE: oasis
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 AM
Orc

if you think theres any reasonable likelyhood the GOP will win this election, you're deluding yourself
Old 03-25-2012, 07:41 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
tbh, in the end does it really matter? I consider myself independent but lean more toward liberal views on social matters. It really doesn't matter who the president or senate or anyone is, this country is run by one thing.. Money.
also, this
Old 03-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My take as well.

As far as GOP candidates, it kinda feels like back during the Kerry/Bush run. Kerry was very uninspiring and everyone knew he wouldn't win, but pushed for him anyway. All of the Republicans at this point feel this way or even worse.

Besides that, Democrat or Republican isn't really going to matter this time around. The approval ratings are so low for the house and senate that any incumbent will be at great risk.

I however will not be voting for either Obama or whatever the GOP coughs up. I'm going to take a serious look at the alternatives. I let a lot of little things slide when it came to Obama and overall he represents us well in the global community, however the signing of the NDAA that allows indefinite detention of US citizens without due process is where I draw the line. The economy will get better and worse on its own due to American ingenuity and perseverance. The government can do things to help or slow this, but it will recover for the most part by itself. Civil liberties and the erosion of our Constitution do not recover so easily. Once they're gone, it takes a massive uprising or change in government policy to correct.
Last edited by moklianne; 03-25-2012 at 09:47 AM..
Old 03-25-2012, 09:39 AM
Orc

need some term limits in congress
Old 03-25-2012, 09:49 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince 7th edition [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
need some term limits in congress
Definitely, state governments need them too.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Dunno yet.
I am VERY socially liberal, but somewhat economical conservative.
While the country is run on one thing; which the person up there said is "Money".
A lot of the social aspects affect me directly.
So not sure~