Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 05-13-2013, 03:42 PM
Developer

Unhappy

Changing the FA C2/C4 values on eq Mac only changed direction of particles. The particles still looked affected by gravity. That effect might be outside these files! What exactly would make the particles behave like ribbons during the animation phase?
Last edited by Telin; 05-13-2013 at 03:46 PM..
Old 05-13-2013, 03:53 PM
Sarnak

Send a message via AIM to Furinex

Maybe the spells_us.txt? Ive kinda been suspecting this file might have something to do with it. However, it might be that the game is still calling functions from Spells.eff (Which I would LOVE to know more about and what effect is the shielding effect, or even how to fix origin...) or even the exe itself. Dunno, more testing might tell.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:02 PM
Developer

It does read from the spells.eff file before it moves on to spellnew files, but it says error creating spell table. That file is so much older though, I can't imagine it being necessary to load the spellsnew particles. The classic spells.eff particles I noticed are missing more than just the character hand origins. It doesn't know where the waist or tunic area is, because all target particles work except for those that are supposed to be binding to the center areas. Such as the higher healing ring, the sow particles start at the feet instead of the waist probably for similar reasons.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM
Sarnak

If you delete the 2 new spell files, Spellsnew .edd and .eff, go to 0 0 in the zone, and cast a shielding spell, you will see the spell effects. You'll also notice... the gravity is fine. It looks like the origin is the only thing that is screwed up, and I bet if we found the root of the problem, it would fix the PROPER origins for every spell.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Developer

Yes I've seen the particles fall from the sky Near the east commonlands inn closest to Freeport. Its probably in the exe file and/or the directx 9 dll. It could be as simple as offsets being out of range after changes were made. or worse if titanium had overwritten important parts of it. That would take someone who knew about graphical programming wouldn't it?
Old 05-13-2013, 04:24 PM
Sarnak

I dunno, But Somehow, I fail to see what the issue would be with modifying this somehow to support the DX8 file that actually comes with Titanium as it is the same file and date as the one in trilogy, which I know works. If it used to work, why cant it now with some editing? I dont know jack and squat about this but Im sure someone does and that would be our best bet.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Developer

You can probably recode the dx8.dll file to work with dx9 and use the dx9 file name unless it does a checksum. Ive read where people have done this for other games, but it would have to be specifically done for this file and version of eq. Dx level 81 is probably the most the client needs since we aren't using anything too complex. All this work sounds expensive
Old 05-13-2013, 04:30 PM
Developer

Send a message via AIM to Aeolwind Send a message via MSN to Aeolwind Send a message via Yahoo to Aeolwind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furinex [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If you delete the 2 new spell files, Spellsnew .edd and .eff, go to 0 0 in the zone, and cast a shielding spell, you will see the spell effects. You'll also notice... the gravity is fine. It looks like the origin is the only thing that is screwed up, and I bet if we found the root of the problem, it would fix the PROPER origins for every spell.
This has been the thing for a while. If you are going to kick this thing, it is going to be in a dll file. The animations no longer 'tie' to character models. There may be an opcode change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilbog
If all the polls I have done up until now fully counted, you would be playing on some abomination of a PVP server with 2-10 boxing based on votes from people named xcm234nv and adfa234.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:38 PM
Developer

Interesting discussion on another game's particle system that wasnt loading. They figured it out lol. http://irrlicht.sourceforge.net/foru...hp?f=1&t=42084
Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolwind [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This has been the thing for a while. If you are going to kick this thing, it is going to be in a dll file. The animations no longer 'tie' to character models. There may be an opcode change.
Azxten figured this out. He was able to fix the origin with the old file however the direction wasn't right. I'm still waiting to hear back from him on how he accomplished this. If we can figure that out, we may be able to hack the old particles into this new spell file to call the same effect and get it in the right direction. This Might be the easiest method to fix it however not the best since the gravity is still screwy.