Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 12:17 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default Starting new on green, rogue as first character?

Wanting to start playing on green. Will be starting from nothing, and don't really have anyone already on the server to help out.

I usually play bard but this time around I want to play a bit more casual and go with a class that I also enjoy and is a bit more simple to play. Though I do know that rogues tend to be a bit gear and group dependent.

Am I going to have any issues with finding groups? Being a rogue let alone a geared up one? I am fine with hopping on and waiting for groups and just doing other stuff while waiting. Just wanting to take it slow, meet some people, make some friends, and enjoy the leveling journey.

Should I just fall back and do bard instead? I have yet to master swarm kiting at all and really would like the simple rogue to start with. I am also aware that most people recommend doing something like a mage or druid to start with since it allows you to farm to gear up other classes. I don't really feel like doing that but I get why its recommended.
Old 02-18-2020, 04:49 AM
Decaying Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmirWaylon [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wanting to start playing on green. Will be starting from nothing, and don't really have anyone already on the server to help out.

I usually play bard but this time around I want to play a bit more casual and go with a class that I also enjoy and is a bit more simple to play. Though I do know that rogues tend to be a bit gear and group dependent.

Am I going to have any issues with finding groups? Being a rogue let alone a geared up one? I am fine with hopping on and waiting for groups and just doing other stuff while waiting. Just wanting to take it slow, meet some people, make some friends, and enjoy the leveling journey.tweakbox appvalley https://vlc.onl/

Should I just fall back and do bard instead? I have yet to master swarm kiting at all and really would like the simple rogue to start with. I am also aware that most people recommend doing something like a mage or druid to start with since it allows you to farm to gear up other classes. I don't really feel like doing that but I get why its recommended.

issue solved!!
Old 02-18-2020, 03:23 PM
Fire Giant

Hey Amir, and welcome!

Here are a couple of things to consider.

1. On the green server, while we are starting to see twinks, people are still lightly geared. Not having a twinked character does not put you at a disadvantage when grouping.

2. Gear is pretty bad for rogues in early classic. Get a giant snake fang, then save up for a Dragoon Dirk. After that save up for a Serrated Bone Dirk or something in the 200p range. After that, keep saving for a Polished Steel Dirk, which you should have plenty for by level 27 (you will bag your SBD in groups when it starts proc'ing). Then start saving for an FBSS. You don't have spells, so you can push all of your plat into a dagger/haste fund.

3. Strength gear will come naturally. In groups, you will almost always be able to get an str buff. I wouldn't invest much plat into str, as the return from dagger damage & ratio, and from haste is much greater. If you roll a barb or a dwarf, you'll likely be around 200str unbuffed by the time you're 50.

4. You will likely do little tanking in groups, so armor can be overrated. However you will certainly take hits and having a suit of banded armor early on will help with mitigation.

5. Rogues are an XP positive class, meaning that even a Barbarian Rogue brings a bonus rather than a harsh penalty that hybrids bring. So groups will welcome you.

6. You posted this in the Technical Discussion forum, so you probably won't get many responses here. I would recommend posting in either Green Server Discussion or in the DPS Class forums at the bottom of the Forums List.

Best of luck!