Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Technical Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 11:27 PM
Large Rat

Default Soundfont suggestions

Hey,
I've been using OmniMIDI because I had some issues with my p99 midi files not playing on windows 10.
I've pretty much solved the whole problem with the help of previous forum posts I'm sure a lot of you know about; but my problem now is the "base and background"(idk how else to describe it) noise seems to be off tempo and tune.

I'm using 1mgm.sf2 and synthusr.sf2 but I've heard those two are pretty dated so maybe that's my issue?
any suggestions on newer soundfonts that sound better?
Old 02-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Orc

The off key/pitch sour notes that begin to play after the first initial loop of what ever midi track is playing unfortunately has no current fix. I spent many days trying to figure out or narrow down this problem, I believe it has to do with ether the way the older clients handled midi command messages in the .xmi file vs the titanium client or because most of the midi tracks never stop once they reach the end, they just loop infinitely until you move away from the area that triggers the track to start. Once you come back and the track plays/loops again the notes on certain instrument tracks get misinterpreted. Zoning wont fix it, the only fix i found is restarting the client. Once the track goes through its first play/loop sounding normal, the problem arises once the track stops and starts playing again.

From posts I've read online a few have said the music never looped and behaved differently in regards to multiple tracks playing/triggering from the same .xmi, such as the 3 different combat tracks that exist but we only hear 1. Short of re-coding the games sound engine or switching to the trilogy client, i'm not sure this problem will be addressed easily.
Last edited by System Shock; 02-18-2020 at 02:33 PM..
Old 02-18-2020, 06:49 PM
Orc

System Shock is definately correct, I hate that damn stuck note...

One thing to note with OmniMidi is that it loads your SoundFonts in order based on how you have them listed- you will want to make sure you have 1mgm listed above synthusr to ensure it loads fist.

For a bit of a different midi "taste" I personally like to load up the Roland SC-88 soundfont before the other two, and it seems to work for the most part: https://musical-artifacts.com/artifacts/538
Old 05-17-2022, 10:45 PM
Aviak

I know this is an old thread, but I found it when googling "soundfont p99." It's been a few years since I played P99, and it was on a different PC. So I forget what MIDI software I was using. I do recall that it had a "MIDI Panic" command that you could set to a key binding. MIDI Panic basically sends an "all notes off" signal to the MIDI software/hardware. That will fix a stuck note! Of course it somewhat interrupts your enjoyment of the music, but it will only remain silent for a very brief moment, as new notes will start playing again and the song will be back in full swing in a second or two.

At least until a note gets stuck again later.

But then you just hit the button again. Much nicer than having to restart the client. I'd be surprised if the MIDI software you're using doesn't have a MIDI Panic command. I believe it is pretty standard in the MIDI world. Give it a shot.