Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2017, 11:26 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Default So........off to a ..well.. not so good start

Welcome folks of P1999, I need a little help here. Got em all numbered if anyone cares to answer.

1) I got the EQ client, installed it into its own EQ Titanium directory, followed all the steps to the tee, replacing the EQ files with the Titanium ones, even removing those four mp4 files for nostalgia sake...yada..yada... but.. made the mistake of taking the advice to install and use WinEQ which seems to have FUBAR'd my P1999 installation. First off, don't know if this was intended but this software put the P1999 into too small of a window for my 17" monitor. But meh, whatever. I was able to play and created a couple toons and played a little in Steamfont until dying with them. But the screen was really much too small, and I could not find any way to remedy this despite wasting a half hour looking through the WinEQ help files. Dunno if this is a normal WinEQ thing, I suppose I could get use to it if I absolutely had to. Anyway, after "quitting" the WinEQ client in hopes of ditching the unwanted changes, I found it had somehow ingratiated itself into the P1999 files and the client brought up the same dink-ass window. Apparently something also corrupted some P1999 files because now even after uninstalling the WinEQ client completely and restarting P1999 (again in the hopes of having a normal size window) I get a message at character select screen that all my spells file are outdated.... and to visit the P1999 website for updates.... So I am going back to reinstalling P1999 from scratch. Just thought I'd let you guys know this WinEQ and Lavish software (which explicitly states it is mainly for boxing multiple accounts) seems to have had some detrimental effects on my install. I don't know if others are using this software successfully or not, but it did not work out for me as I like to play in something closer to full screen, not a tiny box taking up a mere 1/3 of a 17" monitor . If someone knows what I can do to use this software and still get a larger window (and not corrupt files) let me know.. Anyway, going to try reinstalling from scratch and see if I can get p1999 working right. Another thing, the red server of P1999 was completely unavailable even though I tried it at least 5-10 times. Just cannot get on it at all although had no problems connecting to the blue server. Both say they are up and available. I don't know if this is a bug or not, just wanted to let it be known.

2) Also, is there a way to remap the keys in P1999? The movement directional keys are for whatever reason the arrow keys which are located on most keyboards to the far right. This makes it virtually impossible to use for right handers like myself (who are I would assume the vast majority of folks). I would prefer to map them to the left side of the keyboard as the standard for most games 'W', 'S', 'A', 'D' keys. Oddly P1999 assigns the 'D' key for crouch which would also have to be changed.

3) Swimming.. I fell in a body of water and ended up drowning because I could not for the life of me find a key that would make the toon swim in an upward direction. I seem to recall doing this same noob mistake back when I used to play in early 2000-2005, so perhaps its just rust, but again, is there somewhere that lists all the keys and what they do for P1999?

4) Channels. Are there standard server channels on either the blue or red that I can join to get help? I asked around and nobody responded. Would be nice to actually be able to ask a question or two and get an answer.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:23 AM
Fire Giant

2&3) you can change all key bindings very easily in the options no problem [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] click on EQ buttons (or alt+o?) and go to the key tab. As for swimming up, just look up and move forward [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] if you're in 3rd person view, you might have to first scroll up back to 1st person (or hit F9 until you go back to 1stP).

4) this forum is usually a good place to ask questions [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 12-15-2017, 07:04 AM
Aviak

1) I can't really help you with the problems that WinEQ2 caused you, as it didn't cause any problems for me.
I can tell you though that i play on Windowed Fullscreen (tiny windows bar on the top of the screen) on a 1920x1080 Monitor.
And afaik lots of people use WinEQ2 without any problems.
The file that is probably modified by it, is the eqclient.ini, so you could back it up before installing WinEQ2. To be safe i would just back up the whole EQ Folder on another drive or at least in another directory, so you dont have reinstall it all again.

It is actually a good idea to keep an "up to date"-copy on an external drive or another computer, because, yeah, getting EQ to run properly can be a bitch.
The upside is, you don't have to put any work into it, once it does, since there are no updates really, except for a few files provided by Project1999, if there is a patch.

4) There are no Serverwide channels on P1999 Blue. If you want to ask questions in game, you can use the /ooc channel.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Planar Protector

Yeah, too look up/swim up PAGE UP, to look down/swim down PAGE DOWN.

Isn't EQ fun [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I miss being a noob, as frustrating as it was.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:56 PM
Decaying Skeleton

Thanks for the tips everyone.. I got the game mostly going okay w/out the WinEQ, got the arrow keys resolved, swimming I figured out.. gotta hold down and not just press PGUP/PGDOWN to get it to work.

Created a Qeynos bard and got him to level 7 using a rusty long sword and some starter equipment from the beginner area in N Qeynos and eventually went off to Qeynos Hills and Blackburrow. Would have liked to seen an upgrade or two drop from either of these zones but absolutely nothing drops from anything that tops the equipment from the starter zone, its literally the exact same stats with a slightly different name. Couldn't find any quests for an upgraded weapon, besides one for a staff for a DRU/RGR from killing rarish gnoll hunters that I found out I couldn't get the quest for after the fact of camping both parts. Doh. Wanting to upgrade that rusty sword I heard P1999 has the old bazaar type thing going on in ECL tunnels so decided to try going there and tring to buy something. Started asking around about directions and found out the easiest path was going through Highhold Keep. After a lengthy journey (with focused Selos mind you), up the longest ramp ever, I finally get to Highhold Keep and guess what? There's high level KOS critters blocking the way. After dying on the way back and doing a prolonged corpse retrieval to some dumb enchanter epic npc that killed me in one shot I tried sailing down to Erudin to see if I could get through that way. I guess I missed a platform cuz I ended up on some Kerra cat island and proceeded to have my head bashed in by some madman and had to do another lengthy corpse retrieval. After consulting even more maps I found a way a super duper DOOPER long way through the Southern Karanas and Feerot and about 5 other long ass zones. I can't even imagine what it must be like for others to do this run without SOW or bard speed. Well as luck would have it a druid happened to be in S Karana so I politely asked for a port. "I can't port individuals he says". Oh sh!t that's right, only wizards get that. Another DOH! About halfway through the zone got ambushed by a werewolf and died in 2 shots. Okay... I give up. Yep, I'm done with this. Good luck to everyone that has the patience to play this game, I tried my damndest but anyone that isn't a druid or wizard is screwed in this gig. Peace, y'all. Thanks for letting me try it out its a great game just wish they would have created a better boat system so knuckleheads could actually get where they want to go. My whole 34 plat I had saved up probably wouldn't have even bought me anything worthwhile anyway.
Closed Thread