Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 04-29-2024, 07:49 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelld52 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i parsed my actions in HoT.

55% of casts were cannibalize 4
10% of casts were torpor
10% of casts were slow
5% malo
20% buffs
Yeah that is about right. Torpor Shamans spend a good amount of time casting Cannibalize.

Shamans are quite active on raids. I'm almost always doing something, unless we are waiting for some reason.

Personally I like that. Getting the Malo/Slow landed in a quick manner can be the difference between a victory and a raid wipe. Same with healing, or removing Disease on a Vulak fight.

Not all classes are as active/useful in raids, so that is something to be thankful for IMO.
Old 04-30-2024, 05:14 AM
Fire Giant

Shaman takes a lot of stuff before the class really comes into its own. Epic, Torpor (or fungi pre-60), Malo, maybe JBB though it isn't as integral, and you also need generally good gear. Meanwhile, enchanter requires next to nothing to be at its full potential, basically just an instant invis clicky that you can get for like 5k or camp at level 20.
Old 04-30-2024, 06:01 AM
Planar Protector

Shaman is super versatile, has some wonderfully thematic race/deity combos, lots of interesting gear options to pursue, but also none of the gear is really ‘mandatory’ to hit 60. It does well whether as a twink or as a self-found toon and can find a role in any group while being a fine soloer or support to lower level toons.

Once 60 the game doesn’t stop, and there are plenty of options to pursue (beyond raiding).

The class is generally very forgiving, can be played active or passive, but equally can be really minmaxed and pushed to it’s limit.

It has it’s own tradeskill line and several racial tradeskill options.

The sheer versatility in play styles, philosophy, goals, etc gives it so much to offer almost any kind of player and can sate any mindset from the most humble to externalised egotist leads me to the conclusion it is the overall best all things considered, even if not quite the best at some/any specific thing.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old Yesterday, 01:43 AM
Planar Protector

No. They are boring, expensive to gear, have a slow casting “good root”, no splitting method. Most the races come severe exp penalties.

They are highly specific and useful tools. I leveled and geared one to help friends. I find the cleric more fun with a bit of practice. Also generally they are harder to find and on raids they have a cumulative benefit that tapers much slower.
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaggles [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
No. They are boring, expensive to gear, have a slow casting “good root”, no splitting method. Most the races come severe exp penalties.

They are highly specific and useful tools. I leveled and geared one to help friends. I find the cleric more fun with a bit of practice. Also generally they are harder to find and on raids they have a cumulative benefit that tapers much slower.
Agrees on all your points, but the shaman does get fun at high skill level. Shaman pacify = root mob in camp, run around corner, root mob, run around corner root mob. Run around corner, camp. Hope to catch one pathing back out of LoS when you log back in

The one thing about shaman is against melee, priest or weaker casters, a shaman has ultimate survivability. With malaise and paralyzing earth only being 200mana per mob, and torpor only being 200 mana - it’s pretty hard to die in most circumstances