Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 12:36 AM
Fire Giant

Some people can copy paste a fancy graph and still not be highly intelligent it seems...
Old 10-04-2020, 12:44 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
You're arguing against how you think a few theoretical people feel about COVID.
You're right, no one is gravely concerned about COVID. I'm glad we settled this.

Quote:
Trumptard
This is where you put your foot in your mouth, I didn't vote for him [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] What is it you clever social media kids say these days, Trump "is living in your head rent free." I think that's the burn. Ohh and another one the clever social media kids on the right say "Trump Derangement Syndrome." Double burn, I suppose. I got one more "facts don't care about your feelings." I actually like that one. It's true.

Quote:
The rest of it is you projecting.
Listen to your own words. You are projecting your projection.

Quote:
If doing those things would make a dent in cancer rates or auto accidents, I'd do it to help save a few people from those too.
Go do it and let the rest of us decide if we want to do it or not [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

You can always do more. Why aren't you? You're probably doing what you believe is 'right and reasonable.' Are you in the camp of people that think 'don't force your beliefs on others.' If so, will you let others do what they believe is 'right and reasonable' for them? I would hope so.

Here's one thing you can do - don't be an ass and make ass_umptions about people. You've made more than a few incorrect ones in one short post. Maybe you can try some questions like I did in my previous paragraph.

Quote:
It's the PJ O'Rourke argument. It works until the point you realize that freedom should not equal freedumb.
What exactly is "freedumb"? Can you describe it in detail? Can you tell us all why we should not do this "freedumb" thing?
Old 10-04-2020, 12:56 AM
Banned

Once covid-19 is gone, society will finally be safe. As of this posting, it is currently .02% unsafe!
Old 10-04-2020, 03:37 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobart [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
The perspective OP seems to lack:

You're arguing against how you think a few theoretical people feel about COVID.

Wear a mask. Social distance. It's not a big ask, Trumptard.

If doing those things would make a dent in cancer rates or auto accidents, I'd do it to help save a few people from those too.

People smarter than both of us (especially you) suggest basic precautions. That's how the majority of people are addressing this pandemic.

The rest of it is you projecting.
You forgot to mention wash your hands...
Old 10-04-2020, 04:04 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You forgot to mention wash your hands...
I would hope that would go without saying. But considering where we are, you're probably right...
Old 10-04-2020, 06:32 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some points:
  • A lot of people die every single week in America (50,000-60,000) from all causes. That's sobering.
  • Corona looks like the +8k/week seasonal change in weekly deaths maybe 2x that at the worst week or two.
  • We're getting back to normal 50-60k levels.
  • Hindsight will show Corona was bad, and bad things happen, but the hyper-ventilating and over-the-top rhetoric was for (1) ratings and (2) politics.

Now who wants to guess how many more deaths and negative health effects due to the lockdown (drugs, alcohol, abuse, suicide, etc.)? There are studies that show a correlation between GDP and suicide. What about quality of life? What about education? "BUT MUH POLITICAL NARRATIVE AND WE AREN'T AT 0 DEATHS YET!!!" Cool story bro - we never reach 0 - that's life, or should I say, death. Keep your narrative.

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ess_deaths.htm

People still get swine flu (H1N1) - it's seasonal (like flu) and is a part of the flu shot. Do we freak out every year about H1N1?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBellamy [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So I fixed that for you but it's ok, I don't think it's going to change your ratio too much.

Of course we're going to suffer more pandemic deaths. It's America, no? I mean this is the land of the free? Who invented the rebel biker guy? Who invented the hippies? Do you cheer for the Empire or the Rebel Alliance? Do you think Happy Days was popular because of Richie Cunningham?

Do you think we follow the fucking rules? When was the last time you drove the speed limit?

Of course we're going to have greater casualties for any event that requires regimented social cohesion. It's built into the system, you can't blame any administration or people for that. We have a federal system, all the governors did their own shit because they could, and half the people said sure and the other half said fuck you, just like expected. Because this is what Americans do.

If you want to live in a society that is more resistant to pandemics you have to change the fabric and the nature of this country's culture. But for every change there are consequences. Disasters have many forms. Right now the US is the major nation best suited to coming back from nuclear holocaust, partly because we're decentralized, federalized, and we have tons of "cells" of inherent authority that can exist without a top-down structure, and also we have a nation of hardy fuck-you survivors. You change that into some tightly regimented nation of cowed retards looking to do what they've been told and you're looking at some unintended consequences down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle2.0 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Let me fix that for statement for you - then we can use our brains and gather more info to understand your statement in context.

US has ~4% of the world's population and ~20% of its reported* COVID deaths

Four points on this:
  1. China has been been cruising at ~80,000 reported deaths for months. The virus originated here. They have lower hygiene and sanitation standards, and their cities have higher population density. Also the government heavily controls information. I know, I lived in China 10+ years. There is no way on God's green earth the numbers they have put out are accurate - which would be par for the course for Chinese gov't stats. I would wager, other countries with big populations are also under reporting (Russia, India, etc.) The US is actually quite transparent on stats. Go us!
  2. The US has a LOT of contact with China - lots of travel both ways. The US being this affected by the virus so much has more to do with mid/end 2019 travel to/from China than it does our reaction to it. It was already here. We just needed to not screw our elderly in nursing homes ala NY/MI
  3. US is over reporting. Part fear, part political - those are related. Dying while having COVID ≠ dying because of COVID.
  4. We got a mixed bag of results of countries locking down versus not locking down. Mask mandates versus no mandates.
Some points, in the USA while led by Donald Trump, positive covid cases are OVER 20% of corona virus cases worldwide, and OVER 20% of deaths from corona virus worldwide have happen to United States citizens =(

Meanwhile, the United States population represents UNDER 5% of the population on planet earth.

Can you in any way explain or justify why people living in the USA are about FIVE TIMES more likely to get COVID and DIE from COVID?
Last edited by JackofSpade; 10-04-2020 at 06:39 AM..
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 AM
Planar Protector

Because covid is not real and all these stats are being used to instill fear (and control) YOU
Old 10-04-2020, 08:24 AM
Planar Protector

Imagine believing "200k+ preventable deaths is no biggie" is a compelling argument to anyone but abject maniacs and fucking dipshits.

Look, the Right turned our COVID response into a culture war battle because the self-serving POTUS encouraged them to and now you're suffering cognitive dissonance and doubling down on beliefs you simply can't admit to yourself are wrong. This is the president's entire political strategy: tell lies which blatantly contradict consensus reality, forcing his followers to hold beliefs which run contrary to what they deep down know to be true, resulting in a cult of malleable zombies. This is basic manipulation and if you don't recognize these tactics for what they are you are extremely susceptible. Sorry that's just how human brains work(or don't).
Old 10-04-2020, 09:41 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barkingturtle [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Imagine believing "200k+ preventable deaths is no biggie" is a compelling argument to anyone but abject maniacs and fucking dipshits.

Look, the Right turned our COVID response into a culture war battle because the self-serving POTUS encouraged them to and now you're suffering cognitive dissonance and doubling down on beliefs you simply can't admit to yourself are wrong. This is the president's entire political strategy: tell lies which blatantly contradict consensus reality, forcing his followers to hold beliefs which run contrary to what they deep down know to be true, resulting in a cult of malleable zombies. This is basic manipulation and if you don't recognize these tactics for what they are you are extremely susceptible. Sorry that's just how human brains work(or don't).
While your post makes perfect sense, the amount of big words you used is going to alienate any Trump supporters that read it.

You have to stick to single (or at most double) syllable words for them to understand. For example, "Make America great again "...they know what that means!
Last edited by remen; 10-04-2020 at 09:45 AM..
Old 10-04-2020, 11:25 AM
Planar Protector

Covid is a huge sham. It's been an opportunity for otherwise weak leaders to take supreme control and ignore the rights of the American people.

When all the dust has settled, we will look back at the highly political response to covid as one of the worst blunders in recent history.

Everything OP shared is true, that's what worries me about some of you. You just want to ignore facts in favor of your feelings.