Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-21-2019, 11:03 AM
Kobold

Default Languages

My memory of this is very hazy, but I seem to recall that languages was a real thing. PCs really did speak in other languages that you had to learn, and we would hold "language parties" at zone lines, constantly zoning after 5 skill points learned, or something like that.

Am I remembering correctly? And if so, will it be a thing again?
Old 10-21-2019, 11:07 AM
Planar Protector

This was only on the RP server, Firiona Vie.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
correct.

Cool server.
Lost but not forgotten.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:15 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustoo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
correct.

Cool server.
It sure was!!!
Old 10-21-2019, 11:17 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrydar [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Makes sense. The only server I ever played on.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Planar Protector

Languages exist but they aren't at all mandatory or necessary, the only place I know of where they ever were was FV. Everyone just communicates in common. The language system is just for fun and flavor.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:10 AM
Planar Protector

Aw man I would LOVE if they made language active on Green.
Giving people a reason to learn languages rather than just for fun.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:21 AM
Sarnak

and when FV first came it , you were limited to one character per server and no drop items werent really a thing. Only a few items were if any. So everything could be traded.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:26 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by magusfire24 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
and when FV first came it , you were limited to one character per server and no drop items werent really a thing. Only a few items were if any. So everything could be traded.
Actually, not sure that FV was my first and only server. My memory of EQ is very hazy, and playing on Blue has helped recall some things. I do remember that, when EQ first came out, we had a very substandard computer and MODEM!, and EQ didn't run very well. But I do remember creating my first character, in Surefall, and everything was very dark, and very confusing. I gave up playing for a few months, then tried again when I got a new system. That is when I remember languages being a thing.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fammaden [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Languages exist but they aren't at all mandatory or necessary, the only place I know of where they ever were was FV. Everyone just communicates in common. The language system is just for fun and flavor.
This! I'm not sure what the rest of y'all are talking about, because languages are totally a real thing on P99 too.

The difference with Firiona Vie was that they removed the Common Tongue. Since we have that tongue, there's very little reason to learn languages here: as Fammaden said, it's just for fun. For instance, if you learn Gnoll, you can read the Tesch Val Scrolls that drop from Splitpaw.

And also, I've done "language parties" here. I would do them while waiting for Shady Goblin or similar mobs to spawn, because you have a bunch of bored people sitting around [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] But honestly I'd forgotten the part about having to zone after 5 skill ups, which explains my lack of skill ups after a point ...

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 10-21-2019 at 12:38 PM..
Closed Thread