Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 02:14 PM
Planar Protector

Default Libertarian Party, why do you FAIL?

So I watched the Libertarian Party debate this weekend hosted by Penn Gillette.

I went into this with the hopes that Austin Petersen was an alternative to Trump, unfortunately I was very much disappointed. Some of his positions I agree with mostly his stance on the constitution and its restrictions on government. That being said, it seems like Libertarians have a disconnect with common sense and national sovereignty. It was a common theme throughout the debate that the #1 issue is drugs and the ability to choose whatever you want in regards to this. I personally don't care whatsoever if adults, who want to engage in this behavior, do so. I must ask the question, is the decriminalization of drugs the most pressing issue in America? I guess if your a drug dealer or a crackhead then yes, but what % of those people vote, let alone take the time to lend ear to the political scene? It also looks like the legalization of Drug use is already moving forward. Why are the Libertarians so wedded to a voting block so minute that it completely alienates any other prospective constituency? It also seems as if you're trying to attract a constituency already entrenched within the "progressive left." Please don't confuse my position with that of a D.A.R.E. Officer cause it certainly is not. I'm just pointing out that the Libertarian Party seems to highlight this issue at the expense of the ideology.

Onto the other issue, National Soveriegnty. All 3 candidates were asked if they would limit the number of immigrants to the USA, and all 3 responded, "no they would not." Austin Petersen also said, "Did the Native Americans limit the colonists, no." Is Austin Petersen correct with his statement, to a certain extent yes, but is he aware that his statement is quite a good counter argument against his own position? Obviously not. If the "natives" had the ability to do so would they? The reason why conservatives believe that we must enforce our immigration laws and even make them more stringent is because we have acknowledged historical events and learned from the mistakes of others. The colonists didn't come from Europe and assimilate the Native Culture and Traditions. Now we can lament about what happened then and tell ourselves were bad people because someone who shares the same gene pool with us did something bad a long time ago, or we can say "yeah, some bad shit went down, let's make sure it don't happen again, especially to us." If we cannot defend our National Sovereignty because of guilts of the past, then we surely are doomed as a Nation, and will be victims of a history we all are aware of.

E Pluribus Unum, my ass.
Last edited by Blitzers; 05-23-2016 at 02:21 PM..
Old 05-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Planar Protector

Libertarians are the party of "fuck you, I got mine". The more extreme they are, the more and more it becomes about rejecting the concept of a society all together. It is just laughably crazy.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Libertarians are the party of "fuck you, I got mine". The more extreme they are, the more and more it becomes about rejecting the concept of a society all together. It is just laughably crazy.
Rejecting government is not the same as rejecting society at all and the only reason I can imagine you think they are equivalent is the Marxist brainwashing you must have received in what we call our educational system.

That being said, the problem with Libertarianism is that you have to have a society that is actually capable of it, i.e. one that is both sufficiently versed in Austrian economics to reject the temptation of more and more government at the voting booth and sufficiently altruistic to maintain a solid sense of community and (voluntary) charities and committees and so on. America actually checked these boxes for most of the 1800s I believe, but no longer.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:02 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Rejecting government is not the same as rejecting society at all
so·ci·e·ty
səˈsīədē/
noun
the aggregate of people living together in a more or less ordered community.

gov·ern·ment
ˈɡəvər(n)mənt/
noun
the governing body of a nation, state, or community.

Learn ....what....words....mean.....
Old 05-23-2016, 03:07 PM
Planar Protector

Libertarianism involves rejecting government. When you conflate that with rejecting society, it means you are the one confusing the two.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:13 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Libertarianism involves rejecting government. When you conflate that with rejecting society, it means you are the one confusing the two.
Herpa derpa, apparently you think a society and country (let alone city or anything else) doesn't need any cooperative elements? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Just "everyone, do whatever you want".

We shall all live naked in the forests!! Singing songs with one another!!! Will be a glorious society!! Who needs roads or anything else which coming together and deciding stuff as a group brings?! Overrated!

Wait...you want to make it a rule no murdering? But....how and where will you decide such a thing? For if you do that....you have formed a government (a body to govern).

Herpa derpa derpa.

Libertarians are laughably naive :P Like I said, the party of "fuck you, I got mine" :P
Old 05-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Planar Protector

If government is the only thing that compels you not to murder your fellow citizens you're a very sad person who probably isn't fit to discuss politics
Old 05-23-2016, 03:21 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If government is the only thing that compels you not to murder your fellow citizens you're a very sad person who probably isn't fit to discuss politics
So your argument is we don't need any rules or laws or any collective agreements in a society....because everyone instinctively knows the right things to do and will always do them?

Sounds legit [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 05-23-2016, 03:22 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriam1066 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
thou shall not murder.

Thank you Old Testament.
Old 05-23-2016, 03:25 PM
Planar Protector

You are simply wrong. For example, here is a quote from 'Democracy in America' written by Alexis de Toqueville after a trip to the USA in 1831.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis de Toqueville
I met with several kinds of associations in America of which I confess I had no previous notion; and I have often admired the extreme skill with which the inhabitants of the United States succeed in proposing a common object for the exertions of a great many men and in inducing them voluntarily to pursue it.

Thus the most democratic country on the face of the earth is that in which men have, in our time, carried to the highest perfection the art of pursuing in common the object of their common desires and have applied this new science to the greatest number of purposes. Is this the result of accident, or is there in reality any necessary connection between the principle of association and that of equality?

As soon as several of the inhabitants of the United States have taken up an opinion or a feeling which they wish to promote in the world, they look out for mutual assistance; and as soon as they have found one another out, they combine. From that moment they are no longer isolated men, but a power seen from afar, whose actions serve for an example and whose language is listened to. The first time I heard in the United States that a hundred thousand men had bound themselves publicly to abstain from spirituous liquors, it appeared to me more like a joke than a serious engagement, and I did not at once perceive why these temperate citizens could not content themselves with drinking water by their own firesides. I at last understood that these hundred thousand Americans, alarmed by the progress of drunkenness around them, had made up their minds to patronize temperance.

They acted in just the same way as a man of high rank who should dress very plainly in order to inspire the humbler orders with a contempt of luxury. It is probable that if these hundred thousand men had lived in France, each of them would singly have memorialized the government to watch the public houses all over the kingdom.
I know this is more than 160 characters and has some big words, but read it. America in 1830 is precisely what you would call Libertarian, and yet the people were tremendously civic minded and constantly forming associations where each citizen would work voluntarily to further the public good. Now we are like his French example: everyone just expects the government to fix everything. Contrary to Marx, Communism is a reversion to baser tribal instincts, not progress to a higher ethical order.
Closed Thread