Go Back   Project 1999 > Red Community > Red Rants and Flames

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2020, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

*server my fingers are faster than my brain appearently
Old 04-09-2020, 04:56 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
They won't be able to cheat on Rise of Zek though. That's not exactly fair to them.
I come from the Ultima Online community.
I have (this is real) Physically attacked in the street by a shard owner.
So Please excuse my extreme comments,.. The UO community of private shard owners is almost entirely corrupt and willing to go to extreme lengths to cover up their finacials dealings. Whether it's Ryan from runuo or other private shard owners... They are money makers not shard makers.

That said and I am thusly paranoid despite using a VPN to protect myself...
P99 is different,.. it doesn't thug it's assets or ban crazy people. It's pretty much on the level as far as i'm concerned.

I've said too much and will be signing off. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 04-09-2020, 05:08 PM
Planar Protector

I had no idea someone in the world still played UO.

(I never played it)
Old 04-09-2020, 05:22 PM
Planar Protector

secrets trolls with runescapes memes that should tell u everything u need to know lol
Old 04-09-2020, 05:32 PM
Planar Protector

obscure ones at that
Old 04-09-2020, 05:53 PM
Planar Protector

Are we 100% sure you can’t cheat on RoZ? I played version 1.0 for a bit and it was pretty shady.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:53 PM
VIP / Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnetaress [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if their serfer is so good why do they have to post 500x on this forums?

oh wait you are staff/moderator/dev over there... makes tons of sense to me

enjoy RoZ secrets, but don't trash rogean cuz he thor smited a bunch of weebs for bein toxic scum on a server

It is GREAT that the devs have showed up at all to show any interest in this box, pras the fuk out of it, and get a grip babe
Few things you're forgetting or not informed about here:

1) I only do anti-cheat for Rise of Zek. That's literally the only reason I'm still 'staff/moderator/dev/virgin smasher/whatever you want to call it' over there. I disagree largely with the notion that EverQuest PvP is worth anyone's time, whether you be a player or an administrator on these servers. That being said, I get off to banning people who are hacking, cheating or exploiting. I have always been interested in ensuring those types are unable to prosper, ever since I started doing emulator stuff in 2007 and to this day that hasn't changed.

2) Rogean and I are good pals. I spend a ton of time talking to him in private, casually and for other reasons, and I am not 'trashing him' by posting on Project 1999 defending my interests, and his interests. I am glad he is taking precautions to protect Project 1999 from false accusations on these forums like the ones posted by The Heretic in the Red Server Discussion subforum. I also would like to mention that I fully respect the project and its many contributors over the years. There is zero need to accuse me of hostility when I have said nothing hostile in this thread, and outside of this thread, I constantly rush to the defense of this server. My words in this thread prior stand, and I will not take them back as doing so would be lying to myself.

3) I like to protect everyone from undesirable players. If someone is acting out on Project 1999, it's within my interest to protect my friends from threats in the same vain that I protect myself. I do not advocate for those players who were banned for cheating to go to Rise of Zek, or any other EQ server. In fact, it would be nice if they went away forever. I have no desire to advocate for those people.

4) I have no financial, physical, or otherwise tangible investment in EverQuest. I have an emotional investment in making sure that this game is available for many years to come and that the playing field is even for everyone to enjoy as long as they play fair.

5) I disagree with how EverQuest is designed fundamentally. I would go as far as to say that the game was only successful because of the lack of options at the time for other games to select from, and is only successful now because of rose-tinted nostalgia glasses that everyone sees the game through. However, classic EverQuest must be preserved so that we learn from the good parts of the game; namely the $15/mo subscription model, the lack of paid options to progress in the game through cash shops or loot boxes, and no time gated progression mechanics that are held behind financial investment.

Project 1999 (and thus EQEmulator) exist so that we may not forget how successful that model was once, and likely still is - had it not been for greed polluting the gaming industry deeming the model financially unviable.

I think I touched on all the subjects here and I rest my case.

Quote:
Are we 100% sure you can’t cheat on RoZ? I played version 1.0 for a bit and it was pretty shady.
I think the assumption of how the EQ community thinks an anticheat works is why they also think Project 1999 or Rise of Zek does nothing to prevent cheats, boxing, or VPN usage. You always hear about people 'bypassing' and having 'undetectable hacks' and such. You hear all about that, of corurse... they're normally loud and dumb, normally to drive sales or usage of these programs. How many people admit to actually getting banned for such a thing afterwards? Probably not that many for fear of community retaliation, especially in a multiplayer PVP game. So the number of people that brag about getting away with it is normally higher than those actually banned.

On top of that, most good anticheats aren't automatically banning for these programs. If you give people a nice notification that they are detected, you simply just have to change the program until they don't get the notification anymore. Doesn't seem very effective, does it?

“Knowing yourself is the beginning of all wisdom.” — Aristotle
Old 04-09-2020, 11:16 PM
Banned

id say secrets did pretty good with anti cheat on roz idk what op is talking about
Old 04-09-2020, 11:19 PM
Kobold

dont be talkin shit about burtbox please
Old 04-10-2020, 12:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secrets [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Few things you're forgetting or not informed about here:

1) I only do anti-cheat for Rise of Zek. That's literally the only reason I'm still 'staff/moderator/dev/virgin smasher/whatever you want to call it' over there. I disagree largely with the notion that EverQuest PvP is worth anyone's time, whether you be a player or an administrator on these servers. That being said, I get off to banning people who are hacking, cheating or exploiting. I have always been interested in ensuring those types are unable to prosper, ever since I started doing emulator stuff in 2007 and to this day that hasn't changed.

2) Rogean and I are good pals. I spend a ton of time talking to him in private, casually and for other reasons, and I am not 'trashing him' by posting on Project 1999 defending my interests, and his interests. I am glad he is taking precautions to protect Project 1999 from false accusations on these forums like the ones posted by The Heretic in the Red Server Discussion subforum. I also would like to mention that I fully respect the project and its many contributors over the years. There is zero need to accuse me of hostility when I have said nothing hostile in this thread, and outside of this thread, I constantly rush to the defense of this server. My words in this thread prior stand, and I will not take them back as doing so would be lying to myself.

3) I like to protect everyone from undesirable players. If someone is acting out on Project 1999, it's within my interest to protect my friends from threats in the same vain that I protect myself. I do not advocate for those players who were banned for cheating to go to Rise of Zek, or any other EQ server. In fact, it would be nice if they went away forever. I have no desire to advocate for those people.

4) I have no financial, physical, or otherwise tangible investment in EverQuest. I have an emotional investment in making sure that this game is available for many years to come and that the playing field is even for everyone to enjoy as long as they play fair.

5) I disagree with how EverQuest is designed fundamentally. I would go as far as to say that the game was only successful because of the lack of options at the time for other games to select from, and is only successful now because of rose-tinted nostalgia glasses that everyone sees the game through. However, classic EverQuest must be preserved so that we learn from the good parts of the game; namely the $15/mo subscription model, the lack of paid options to progress in the game through cash shops or loot boxes, and no time gated progression mechanics that are held behind financial investment.

Project 1999 (and thus EQEmulator) exist so that we may not forget how successful that model was once, and likely still is - had it not been for greed polluting the gaming industry deeming the model financially unviable.

I think I touched on all the subjects here and I rest my case.

I think the assumption of how the EQ community thinks an anticheat works is why they also think Project 1999 or Rise of Zek does nothing to prevent cheats, boxing, or VPN usage. You always hear about people 'bypassing' and having 'undetectable hacks' and such. You hear all about that, of corurse... they're normally loud and dumb, normally to drive sales or usage of these programs. How many people admit to actually getting banned for such a thing afterwards? Probably not that many for fear of community retaliation, especially in a multiplayer PVP game. So the number of people that brag about getting away with it is normally higher than those actually banned.

On top of that, most good anticheats aren't automatically banning for these programs. If you give people a nice notification that they are detected, you simply just have to change the program until they don't get the notification anymore. Doesn't seem very effective, does it?
Thanks for your dedication to these boxes. I disagree, EQ being such a terrible game is why its so good. How do we not get something better than EQ in 20+ years...

Because basically we'd have to go back to the table top roots and make everything insanely complicated and time consuming, a content development team wouldnt exist, everything was built from scratch in EQ from the crownd up, even thsoe horrific lookin trees all over the karanas.

Now of days people just plug in a ton of assets into a shiny game engine with very little customization or its own unique quirks, its all based on the unreal or quake engines of the day and none of it has a ton of hacks coded into it to make it work.

-----------

Since you typed a ton let me try to run up a brief summary of why EQ is nifty:

--------
  • Factions, even useless ones
  • Weird loot tables that aren't showering pixels
  • confusing spawns, some that are really rare and harder to figure out then normal
  • quests that have extra useless, but unique flavorful steps because that was how they were not made cookie cutter
  • NPCs everywhere that respond to faction, class, race, and will kill u even if u are pretty powerful
  • Tradeskills require a lot of time investment, and are not about just farming 1000 of one thing and then clicking autocraft
  • The game can be played with terrible gear without twinking believe it or not
  • The metagaming rotations are not central to the game play
  • You can infact use sub-optimal stats and gear setup, while at the same time having stats and gear matter to those that care
  • Invis
  • Levitate
  • The art is racey as fuck and some real creepy dark shit like dwarfs chopped up everywhere, u will probably never see this ever again in a real AAA game cuz 'kids' and 'jesus (but not really jesus he's not a jerk).

just a few off the top of my head... as a kid i explored the zones endlessly not expecting to hit a quest waypoint or loot something, just because i wanted to see what blackburrow looked like...

When u play skyrim everything is copypasted. In EQ, there is a little of that, but the tunnels are handcrafted, when they wanted them to be all jaggy and slopey they didnt just 'copy sloped tunnel XYZ' they sat there and futzed with the Z axis and chopped it up until they got 'that hallway' the one we know... like safe hall in guk, we all know what the guk safe hall is, the only thing really repetative there is the textures the layouts aren't just randomized loot tubes

No one will ever invest that much dev time into actual content again, its all about greed, and these companies have to feed their starving children so i dont blame em, but i'm satisified with elfquest myseslf.

When people say 'come to RoZ' 'R99 ded' 'Server sux' is what they're saying that this project sux and these people can't run a tight ship? I don't know.

RoZ I am sure is really competative, i am not interested in chainsmoking 20 rogues with my druid/ench box to 'do the 1337 stuff'

i just want elf chat with some gnolls and gnoll fangs, werkz for me, and is not gross looking like elves in santa suits from wow or w/e

P.S. I hope u succeeed in ur programming life and its a good one, just like, why are you so heavily invested in RoZ vs here and promoting it here? You probably downloaded all the files on my puter and know exactly who i am but whatever i dont care, do ur thing, i feel like people who run these sites are more interested in the logistics ans social dynamics then the actual content anyway
Closed Thread