Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 11:44 PM
Planar Protector

Default What's your favorite zone?

My personal favorite is North Karana. I love the Karanas because I love the mortal aspect of EQ, when bears and dogs are the biggest threat. North Karana is chock full of named creatures to hunt that drop rare and cool loot for early EQ too, it's got cool bridges, two of em! Druid circles, gypsies camps, wizard spires and crazy gnome quests. It's just an all around fun zone that is rarely part of the main path.

Im curious and this pandemic got me wanting social interactions with groups of people so can we please discuss this useless topic?
Old 07-15-2020, 12:16 AM
Kobold

Grobb.

It was the first zone I ever saw, when I watched my friends’ brother playing back in 1999. The troll aesthetic appeals to me.

Plus, it’s got dismembered dwarves, two of em!
Old 07-15-2020, 12:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Baptiste Cutting [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Plus, it’s got dismembered dwarves, two of em!
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

heres your quest reward mr troll, one dead dwarf skin

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Last edited by Jibartik; 07-15-2020 at 01:03 AM..
Old 07-15-2020, 02:39 AM
Planar Protector

Neriak (counting all 3 as 1, since it's a single city). Just love the atmosphere in there.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:11 AM
Fire Giant

In classic? That's really hard. So many good ones.

Including Velious, Crystal Caverns. So dope.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:04 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My personal favorite is North Karana. I love the Karanas because I love the mortal aspect of EQ, when bears and dogs are the biggest threat. North Karana is chock full of named creatures to hunt that drop rare and cool loot for early EQ too, it's got cool bridges, two of em! Druid circles, gypsies camps, wizard spires and crazy gnome quests. It's just an all around fun zone that is rarely part of the main path.
The Karanas are really good. They have a really cool frontier AD&D vibe. There is a lot to do and see in them. Also as a whole they have a very diverse geography: rivers, open plains, farms, hills, mountains, forests, towns, outposts, undead haunted battle fields, and monster villages. There is also a lot of stuff going on in them as well. A lot of it I don't know if it has ever been fully explained. Like the cursed gnolls who turn into undead at night, ogre shamans, the undead battlefields in WK and SK, the werewolf infestation, and so many other thing.

There are a lot of great zones in classic EQ. I think over time I've really grown to appreciate Crushbone. Not so much as a leveling zone but because of what is happening there. There is a whole story arc that goes from you fighting off the orcs invading Gfay to liberating the slaves and then finishing the orc threat off by killing Emperor Crush. Killing Crush also ends a plot that the Dark Elves are involved in that has something to do with the Deathfist orc tribe. Although EQ doesn't really have a progressive timeline, I like to think the Orcs that are in Lfay are the remnants of the Crushbone army who manged to retreat into the forests.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neno [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
]There are a lot of great zones in classic EQ. I think over time I've really grown to appreciate Crushbone. Not so much as a leveling zone but because of what is happening there. There is a whole story arc that goes from you fighting off the orcs invading Gfay to liberating the slaves and then finishing the orc threat off by killing Emperor Crush. Killing Crush also ends a plot that the Dark Elves are involved in that has something to do with the Deathfist orc tribe. Although EQ doesn't really have a progressive timeline, I like to think the Orcs that are in Lfay are the remnants of the Crushbone army who manged to retreat into the forests.
I almost feel the way you feel about the karanas, about crusbhone, when I was a kid and leveled there for the first time I thought the village camp in the back was basically about as big as kelthin, the zone is just layed out in a way that makes it feel like a massive city, even though its actually a tight dungeon, the cabin makes it feel like there is a whole urban area, just on the other side of the village, which is just around the corner through the tunnel to the castle, all surrounded by quarries and slave pits. Its a super deep zone.

its cool how you point out the orcs that lead into the stronghold. It feels like the crushbone leveling path is like the "joining the elvish militia against the horde" story line and like, I love how you start literally battling orcs at the front gate invading the city, until you work your way through them into the heart of their stronghold where you slay their leader. Like you're a conscript joining the live battle that's waging that very moment.

It's like a scripted event before scripted events exited. That whole story is told just by doing it too, no need to do any quests, if you just kill orcs to level up starting at the orc camps and into the castle, you just naturally grind through that story. Pretty cool.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:11 AM
Fire Giant

Kerra Isle, peaceful, quiet, tropical, naked furries. What's not to love?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:35 AM
Planar Protector

Although it seems like I'm biased, green was my first ever halfling character, but I've always been in love with rivervale and misty. I love north qeynos the hills qrg and blackburrow too
Old 07-15-2020, 10:05 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Splitpaw is my favorite classic zone. To me it looks cool. It is a great place to both group and solo.
Closed Thread