Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Important > News & Announcements

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 03:08 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmwitt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so mages wont really be a solo class anymore since they can no longer Chain pets??
Ummm why would you not be able to chain pets?
It was at this point I decided to no longer be kind to the casuals as they have extreme short term memory. They did this to themselves, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maner View Post
No one in A/A cares that you aren't getting pixels. In fact after the last suspension wave the attitude is to stop letting the casual guilds get anything even remotely of value.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:27 AM
Planar Protector

Talking about classic things, why can't we cast on boat? The distracted thing was added after kunark for sure, unsure when through, and obviously you gets interupt when the boat moves, but when the boat is at stand still, or instant clicks or song should be useable... Used to play ae songs with my bard on vallon zek...
Old 09-11-2019, 03:30 AM
Planar Protector

Thanks, Rogean. This seems like a very reasonable decision.

Recreating a classic feel and experience 20 years after classic actually ended isn't trivial. We all want to go back 20 years, to our childhood (well, at least those who are 30 y/o or older I suppose), but you can't, whatever you do.

So it will always be an imperfect experience - you simply don't enter the same river twice.

Things like 3rd person view, target cycle hotkey, pet window, fast zoning, stable servers, good knowledge of the game aren't classic, but they help having a server with a lot of population.

Nothing is sadder than an EQEmu server with no pop.

There's no doubt that there will always be people advocating a return of even more drastic, classic features to P99, such as the stone UI, removal of target cycling, enforcement of full-screen, removal of camera chase view, lock to 5 FPS at 800x600, etc etc. But these die-hard classic advocates, all put together, respectfully, represent a tiny, tiny portion of the total user base, probably not even 1 percent.

Most of us just want to have a chill casual experience recalling the good old days back in 2000 when we could simply play EQ all day without worrying about tomorrow, when life seemed infinite.

Big props to all the team for allowing us to do just that, for free (!), for the last 10 years.
Old 09-11-2019, 03:41 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimmwitt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
so mages wont really be a solo class anymore since they can no longer Chain pets??
You can still make a hotbutton in the socials tab with "/pet get lost" and click it while casting. This is working, just tested it.
[60 Troubadour] Lasterbalk <Riot>
[56 Preserver] Aithne Oakforest <Riot>

Solusek Ro / Bristlebane retired:
[80 Vah Shir Rogue] Katran <Magna Charta>
Old 09-11-2019, 03:45 AM
Fire Giant

> Pet bars return with caveat
Awesome, that works. Cheers for the compromise! Understandable that there's a line between classic and "modern classic" - makes decisions tough, sometimes.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:01 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katran [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You can still make a hotbutton in the socials tab with "/pet get lost" and click it while casting. This is working, just tested it.
or even just typing out "/pet get" while the new pet summon is casting. Plenty of time for it.
Old 09-11-2019, 04:51 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katran [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It always confounded me that buttons in the abilities bar are able to do so much more than the exact same button in the hotkeys bar.

I know that disparity in functionality is classic, but, like, why? Was this a design choice? Was there some compromise in integrating the hot button window? Were the abilities window meant to be as limited as the hotbar buttons, but as an oversight were left to be clickable much more of the time or vice versa?

Such are the mysteries of Everquest.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:09 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It always confounded me that buttons in the abilities bar are able to do so much more than the exact same button in the hotkeys bar.

I know that disparity in functionality is classic, but, like, why? Was this a design choice? Was there some compromise in integrating the hot button window? Were the abilities window meant to be as limited as the hotbar buttons, but as an oversight were left to be clickable much more of the time or vice versa?

Such are the mysteries of Everquest.
Lol, I'm willing to bet that it was one of those things that wasn't caught until wayy later, then it's probably "too late" with code stacked and stacked on top of each other. Probably needed a revamp, was too much code to unbury to make it worthwhile. Betting the classic devs just said f it.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:10 AM
Banned

Congrats pet classes.
Old 09-11-2019, 05:38 AM
Large Rat

Thank you!
Closed Thread