Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 10:33 PM
Large Bat

Default Getting started on p99 as a Rogue.

Just reinstalled after a looong hiatus from the old days of live EQ ( I actually have an active sub but the current iteration of live is hardly the same game ) and I'm just here looking for some advice on basics for leveling and gearing.

Started a Barb Rogue, currently level 3 still using my trusty dagger* but essentially I'm just looking for some guidance on what I should be working toward. Weapon / armor quests that are reasonably doable for a half naked rogue, or should I just be leveling off blues / light blues until I can afford better gear for the time being? I imagine there are weapons that are substantial upgrades that get sold for very reasonable prices due to how common they are but I haven't even been to EC yet since that's quite a run and I don't actually have the money to do that yet.

Name is Deepbreaths if anybody wants to message me ingame, even if its just to say hello. The social experience that is EQ is what I really miss so I'm happy to meet any new people [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 11-03-2014, 12:15 AM
Planar Protector

Don't worry about getting gear from quests. Whatever cheap weapon you can find in EC is going to vastly outclass anything you can get from a quest at your level. You can farm up one or two hundred plat relatively easily as described here. Beg a port to EC when you feel like getting a weapon (/who all druid 39 60, /who all wizard 39 60, send people tells and ask politely, explaining that you're new to the server, people will be happy to port you for free), see what people are selling, and find something cheap but useful.

Basically, what you're looking for in a primary weapon is this:
1) Piercing weapon (so you can backstab)
2) High damage (so your backstabs do a lot of damage)
3) Low delay (so you get more benefit from damage bonus, although at low levels this won't be as important)
4) Magic weapon (most weapons you'll find in EC are magic, but just make sure; you won't be able to hit a lot of stuff, like ghouls, without magic weapons)
What you're looking for in a secondary weapon is just anything you can put in your secondary slot with a good damage/delay ratio. They don't have to be piercing and it doesn't matter if the damage is high or the delay is low as long as the ratio is good. The secondary weapon isn't as important as the primary.

For armor, you can try and find a blacksmith to make you a suit of banded - a full suit costs about 85pp and is some nice AC (but no other stats). But I'd just focus on weapons; your armor isn't as important. Generally speaking, your mission armor-wise, once you have good weapons, will be to get your STR stat up high.

In terms of leveling, you'll wanna start grouping pretty soon. Rogues are very poor soloers unless they're very well geared. Crushbone, EC orcs, and Blackburrow are all popular spots starting at level 5 or so.
Need a port or a rez? Hit me up on IRC!
Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 AM
Large Bat

Yeah to be completely honest I'm level 4 and already starting to feel like its a bit of a struggle haha, but thank you much for the advice, I may just try to find a port now so I can follow the plat farming methods. The spiders in everfrost don't drop silk and the skeletons aren't very common. That and I'm a bit tired of the vengeful mobs aggroing from quite far away forcing me to run all the way back to guards on a semi-regular basis.

Thanks again!
Old 11-03-2014, 08:36 AM
Aviak

Jagged Chokidai Spine is a great rogue starter weapon if this is your first character. Cheap but still effective early on.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Jagged_Chokidai_Spine
Old 11-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Fire Giant

I would recommend heading to EC ASAP. You can get buffs at the tunnel which will help with leveling. Sometimes, although not too often, people do give away items. You might be able to snatch up a decent weapon or some armor to start with.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 PM
Sarnak

Have to agree, your goal is to get to EC. you're not going to be able to afford any weapons, but you can get free buffs. that will help you to solo until you can group.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:20 PM
Large Bat

Yup I'm currently level 9, made my way to NK from Qeynos hills at 5 and spent the money I had on a port and I met some really cool people in EC, doing well now!
Old 11-04-2014, 12:28 AM
Fire Giant

Make sure to get a bind in West Freeport! Type /char to see your bind point.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:16 AM
Planar Protector

Don't know if you've figured it out but strafe running is a little faster than most mob speed.

If you get in trouble and gotta run, make sure to strafe.

Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 59 Shaman
Lemonspoon Icebeaner - 52 Enchanter
Yumyums Inmahtumtums - 60 Enchanter
Old 11-04-2014, 04:51 PM
Large Bat

Thats a great tip, its definitely something I use while sneak hiding at low levels and while ducking.
Closed Thread