Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Planar Protector

Default Did you ever notice what year it was?

I never really thought about what year Everquest was in. Then while I was looking at some screenshots I noticed that its somewhere approximately between 3100 and 3199.

I haven't really looked through all my SS's but I did look through enough that I saw that date circle back around in them, so I figure maybe its just always somewhere between those two numbers. Am I wrong? Meaning its like Y2K once we hit 3199 the next year ticks back to 3100. (I think??)

What's the significance of that year in the norrathian calendar? Is there any?

Anywho, I was wondering how long it would take from my characters perspective for the expansions to come out? How old are the farmers in the karanas? how old am I?

Ok well, I am [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] or 5.3 years old (Wow! I'm a youngling!) So now that I got that cleared up, what is time like in EQ compared to IRL?

(my math skills are very very bad so there must be a decimal point somewhere where it shouldn't be with these coming calculations. So please correct me if I am wrong.)

1 Everuest day lasts 72 IRL minuets.

Starting from the ✞HOLY✞ year of our lord Brad 3100

+1 EQ Year: 3101
Irl Minuets 26,280 (I seriously think my basic math is wrong here)
Irl Days 18.25
IRL years 0.5

+50 EQ Years: 3150
Irl Minuets 1,314,000 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Irl Days 912.5
IRL years 2.5

+500 EQ Years: 3600
Irl Minuets 13,140,000 (HOW IS THIS MATH CORRECT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Irl Days 9,125 (WHAAAT?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
IRL years 25 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME??)

Ok so, what Im seeing here is that, I am either retarded, or since p99's creation the year must have been around, what... (someone else do this math for me Im just guessing) 2300?.. or does the game cycle through the years like I thought?

I'm... gonna double check this screenshot stuff...

Ok obviously this was last May, and at the time the year of our lord ✞Brad✞ was 3138:
[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Now this is today:

So yeah, am I crazy or is that a rolled back year?

And if it is, unless my math is wrong (how do i fix??) then like, shouldn't.. it not have gone through all those years since last May?

How the hell does the date in this game work? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Is all of this totally wrong and did the server start at year 0?
Old 08-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Planar Protector

The game seemingly resets its Norrath time when there's a hard server reset. I believe it starts at 3100-something (I forget exactly). I don't know that the date serves any function except to pair alongside the founding dates listed on the signs for several of the in-game cities as a means of illustrating that the world is OLD (some of those cities are a good thousand years old, and others probably older still) and things change only slowly. There could be additional out-of-game lore regarding this subject but I don't care enough to have ever looked it up and at any rate anything that doesn't appear in-game shouldn't strictly be regarded as canon anyway.

Norrath time is sped up by a factor of twenty. 20 game hours per realtime hour (3 minutes per in-game hour), 20 game days per realtime day, etc.

Danth
Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I never really thought about what year Everquest was in. Then while I was looking at some screenshots I noticed that its somewhere approximately between 3100 and 3199.

I haven't really looked through all my SS's but I did look through enough that I saw that date circle back around in them, so I figure maybe its just always somewhere between those two numbers. Am I wrong? Meaning its like Y2K once we hit 3199 the next year ticks back to 3100. (I think??)

What's the significance of that year in the norrathian calendar? Is there any?

Anywho, I was wondering how long it would take from my characters perspective for the expansions to come out? How old are the farmers in the karanas? how old am I?

Ok well, I am [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] or 5.3 years old (Wow! I'm a youngling!) So now that I got that cleared up, what is time like in EQ compared to IRL?

(my math skills are very very bad so there must be a decimal point somewhere where it shouldn't be with these coming calculations. So please correct me if I am wrong.)

1 Everuest day lasts 72 IRL minuets.

Starting from the ✞HOLY✞ year of our lord Brad 3100

+1 EQ Year: 3101
Irl Minuets 26,280 (I seriously think my basic math is wrong here)
Irl Days 18.25
IRL years 0.5

+50 EQ Years: 3150
Irl Minuets 1,314,000 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Irl Days 912.5
IRL years 2.5

+500 EQ Years: 3600
Irl Minuets 13,140,000 (HOW IS THIS MATH CORRECT [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.][You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
Irl Days 9,125 (WHAAAT?? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.])
IRL years 25 (ARE YOU KIDDING ME??)

Ok so, what Im seeing here is that, I am either retarded, or since p99's creation the year must have been around, what... (someone else do this math for me Im just guessing) 2300?.. or does the game cycle through the years like I thought?

I'm... gonna double check this screenshot stuff...

Ok obviously this was last May, and at the time the year of our lord ✞Brad✞ was 3138:

Now this is today:

So yeah, am I crazy or is that a rolled back year?

And if it is, unless my math is wrong (how do i fix??) then like, shouldn't.. it not have gone through all those years since last May?

How the hell does the date in this game work? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Is all of this totally wrong and did the server start at year 0?
Death is but a door, time is but a window.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

and soil is but a nip. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 08-25-2019, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Ok so, out of curiosity, what do people think?

What year do you think Norrathians went to the moon in Luclin?

What year do you think they first set ground into the icey shores of velious?

What about live today, what year do you think that is? (wait, is there a canon year for live eq?)

Do you think that all eq gameplay takes place approximately in the year 3100? Or do you think time has carried on in live?

This is stupid but Im enjoying asking myself these questions.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

This is neat:

Norrathian Timeline
October 11, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Age of Scale

Veeshan the Mother Dragon deposited her brood on the continent of Velious, which began the Age of Scale when dragons ruled the earth.

Elder Age

The age of the alliance of the gods and the creation of the races of Norrath.

During the Age of Scale, Brell Serilis met with The Great Mother Tunare, Prexus, The Oceanlord, and Rallos Zek, the warlord. Brell told of Veeshan's discovery of the new and potentially powerful world and he proposed that they accept an alliance of sorts, to which all save Rallos Zek agreed, ignorant of the fact that Brell had already released some of his creations into the Underfoot of this new world.

The planet that would be called Norrath was divvied up between these beings of power for the purpose of keeping the Wurmqueen in check. Each would create a race of beings to watch over Norrath and keep a vigilant eye on the schemes of Dragonkind. Brell claimed the bowels of the planet and created the Dwarves, stout and strong, deep beneath the mountains of Norrath. In the abysmal depths of the oceans Prexus left his children, the Kedge, hearty aquatic beings of great mental power and stamina. And on the surface of Norrath did Tunare create the Elves, creatures of limitless grace and beauty, and Rallos Zek the Giants, fierce and formidable beings, intent upon the defense of their lands.

Age of Monuments

The rise and fall of the creatures of Rallos-Zek, the coming of the last of the gods, and the creation of the Barbarians.

Rallos-Zek's creations, the ogres, became a powerful race and challenged the world of Norrath. When they eventually knew defeat, the Warlord himself led a second invasion. The war that ensued shook the heavens and angered the greater gods. Through their combined might, Rallos Zek was finally thwarted and forced back to his domain, after which a great barrier to the Planes of Power was erected, denying entry to both the lesser gods and mortals as well. And then, in what some view as spite and others justice, the gods cursed the Warlord's creations. Thousands of Ogres were slain and their empire collapsed around them. The Giants were spread from one end of the earth to the other, forced to flee their homes as the gods brought snow and ice to their previously lush lands. And the goblins were also cursed, but no writings remain of their punishment as they no longer keep records of their history (which is perhaps some indication as to the severity of their curse).

The last of the gods came to Norrath. Mithaniel Marr, god of Valor, and Erollisi Marr, goddess of Love, created the Barbarians, a hardy race who settled the cold and rugged northlands, near the ruins of the Giant empire. Being the youngest race, they were generally unwashed and rugged, possessing very few social graces. And while they too had a warlike culture, there were those amongst them who began to believe in something more.

Age of Blood

The last of the ancient elven cities.

By this time the other civilizations of Norrath had either long since declined, or were well on their way, and this small minority of Barbarians saw an opportunity to triumph where the others had failed. Perhaps this was a seed of wisdom planted by the Marr Twins, or perhaps it was only by chance, but as the Barbarians spread out across the lands, warring with both each other and any other race encountered, this tiny movement continued to grow. And so even amidst desolation and war, there was hope.

During the Age of Blood came the last curse of the gods, as Solusek Ro, Lord of Flame, arched the spine of the serpent mountains, bringing heat from the burning sun to the ancient forest. The rivers ran dry, it rained less each year, and while the great elven druids fought long and hard, using their powerful magics to combat the change, they could only delay the inevitable. Slowly the forest gave way to desert, and eventually even great Takish-Hiz crumbled and the elves were forced to flee Tunaria, leaving much of their greatness behind.

Lost Age

The rise of the Combine Empire and the founding of Erudin, home to the magical arts.

This next period of Norrathean history as it relates to many of the races is the least known. It is surmised by the more knowledgeable historians that while the elder races regrouped and reestablished themselves, a small group of Barbarians were suddenly transformed both physically and intellectually. Most believe this to be the last major and direct act of divine intervention, and perhaps the reason so little is known about this period is that the gods wish it to be so, deciding afterwards that they would have less to do with their creations. In any case, this small and enlightened group were the fathers of the Human race, and they rapidly gained a foothold throughout the lands, studying the lost art of geomancy. The Combine Empire, as this lost race of Humans is called, spread throughout the known world, but then died even more quickly than it grew, and for reasons still unknown. And while they are the ancestors of every Human on Norrath and their relics and ruins still litter the lands from Odus to Faydwer, little history of this period remains.

After the fall of the Combine Empire, the remnants of mankind dwelled mostly in the center of Tunaria, inhabiting primarily the vast and fertile plains of Karana. Villages appeared and prospered, several reaching the size of towns, and two even became cities. To the west a strong and noble band of Humans, lead by Antonius Bayle the First, founded Qeynos under the lofty principles of law. Freeport, to the east, became an active and dangerous port of call for all who dared to venture into the Ocean of Tears. Humanity, much to the disdain of the elder races who watched from afar, remained strong, even daring to rename their home after one of their own instead of one of the gods. The great continent of Tunaria would forever more be known as Antonica. This is not to imply, however, that humanity was at peace. Competition was fierce, and when resources grew scarce for one reason or another many groups abandoned the promises and alliances of their past and fought. A few leaders spoke out against the violence, urging the masses to remember why they had fled the cold north. Others reminded them of their former glory and the might of the Combine Empire. These leaders insisted that humanity adhere once again to those principals to which all had agreed. Explorers and adventurers returned from afar with tales of elves, dwarves, and other strange creatures, as well as descriptions of ancient abandoned cities. A few even came back with limited knowledge of sorcery and the mystic arts. And when that discontent minority of leaders heard all of this, they became both jealous and determined.

A small, frail man of great intellect called Erud led this group, and he formed them into a council. They quickly became irritated, even disgusted, by their fellow man. Leaving a small network of spies behind, the remainder of Erud's followers fled the city of Qeynos and boarded a small fleet of ships. They sailed to the west and landed upon the barren coast of the island of Odus. The land was sparse and uninhabited and quite appealing to the council and their people. They quickly built a city of their own, dissimilar in almost every way to both Qeynos and Freeport, for it was almost entirely a towering castle. Erudin it was called, and within it the scribes and scholars, who called themselves High Men, gathered and analyzed reports, captured books and scrolls, and other artifacts brought to them by their spies. The first human mages since the Combine Empire were born – wizards, sorcerers, and enchanters occupied the great halls of Erudin and grew immensely in both power and knowledge.

Age of Enlightenment

The rise of the human mages and the discovery of Necromancy.

Within Erudin the scribes and scholars, who called themselves High Men, gathered and analyzed reports, captured books and scrolls, and other artifacts brought to them by their spies. The first human mages since the Combine Empire were born – wizards, sorcerers, and enchanters occupied the great halls of Erudin and grew immensely in both power and knowledge. Thus began the Age of Enlightenment.

It came to pass some years later that a small group of Erudites discovered the lost art of Necromancy. They were branded heretics and great conflict arose. For the first time in several hundred years, the Erudites fought. They engaged in a civil war not entirely dissimilar to that which they had loathed and fled from back on the mainland. But there was one very significant difference – they did not use swords and bows, but rather magic, and the result was terrible. Lives by the hundreds were lost, great buildings and structures destroyed, and eventually the heretics were forced to flee Erudin, to hide and regroup in the southern regions of Odus. In one final battle, great mystic energies were released and an immense hole leading to unknown depths beneath the earth was created. Into the sides of this chasm the heretics built their own city which they called Paineel. And while both sides still seethed with anger and hatred towards one another, their fear of what the last battle had wrought has kept any further conflict at bay. Thus began the Age of Turmoil.

Age of Turmoil

The current age of Norrath.

The Erudite civil war was over, and the heretics had fled to Paineel. While both sides still seethed with anger and hatred towards one another, their fear of what the last battle had wrought has kept any further conflict at bay. Thus began the Age of Turmoil, the present age in the land of Norrath.

No dates though [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Im still looking for some hard dates. The above was from the IGN wiki: https://www.ign.com/wikis/everquest/...e_of_Monuments
Old 08-25-2019, 09:50 AM
Planar Protector

"Rallos-Zek's creations, the ogres, became a powerful race and challenged the world of Norrath."

Its kinda funny if you think about how the ogres were once this mighty warrior race created by the god of war...

...and now (______ years later) they're like these cute little humpty dumpties.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Planar Protector

How much of that stuff is sourced from era-appropriate, in-game sources? Some of what's posted there seemingly contradicts highly visible in-game sources. For example, Qeynos clearly far predates the age of a few human rulers (the Bayles) since we have a specific year for its founding available (2052--over a thousand years old). If that story is also from an in-game source it could be interpreted as the "founding" of the Qeynos city-state as a military/political entity rather than solely referring to the city proper itself (similar to the difference between, say, the city of Venice and the Republic of Venice city-state). If it's from an out-of-game source then the story should be ignored as non-canon.

Sticking to 20 years gametime = 1 realtime year, and if EQ opened circa 2100 in March '99 earth-time, it'd have been something over twenty years later before Kunark was discovered, and more than another decade before they found a good route to Velious. Human characters who were in early adulthood at EQ's opening would've been dying of old age during the Luclin era, with some small few lasting into Planes of Power era. I don't know that the game ever makes it clear just how long the long-lived elven races live for, so it's possible that older members of those races might still be alive centuries later.

I don't think of Ogres as particularly cute. In effect they're 9 foot tall cannibal monsters that weigh probably on the order of a metric ton. They're encumbered only by their stupidity.

Danth
Old 08-25-2019, 07:43 PM
Planar Protector

plus part of their curse was that their butts itched constantly.
Old 08-26-2019, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Ogres are cannibals? Never heard that before ...
Closed Thread