Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Guild Discussion

View Poll Results: What should the Roleplay Guild Name be?
In Tenebris Nos Esse - In Darkness We Exist 7 28.00%
Vox Dei - Voice of God 1 4.00%
Vox Populi - Voice of The People 4 16.00%
Magnum Opus - Great Work 1 4.00%
Ignotus - Unknown 6 24.00%
Simul Sicut Unus 2 8.00%
Black Lotus 4 16.00%
Fellowship Of The Black Lotus 8 32.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 10:43 AM
Aviak

((
Because the population here is so low, I propose things be kept simple at first. Two rules:

1) Follow the server's naming policy.
2) OOC must be indicated as such in guildchat.

Regarding OOC, it might help to keep in mind that much of what passes for normal chat can still be considered "in-character." Consider:

A) Hail, Lord Aegnarion! Care for a swig? <hands the soldier a beer>
B) Anyone want to join me in Crushbone?
C) OMG, this noob totally just trained on me! He probably voted for <insert political buffoon here>.

A and B wouldn't require an OOC indicator, but C would.

Regarding factions, I say simply allow them to form ad hoc within the guild. If it grows enough and there's interest, split later. Convenience can easily be justified in-character. Consider:

I play a dark elf shadowknight and I have the opportunity to kill orcs with Aegnarion, a half elf paladin. Rather than pass up the opportunity, I simply justify it thusly:

Vellatri prefers to be a dark puppetmaster working behind the scenes. She sees that this pawn has a flaming sword that could be a useful tool in crippling the defenses at Crushbone, and that he has the energy and willingness to do so. This would undermine the efforts of the Neriak warrior's guild and the unworthy king. She doesn't have to like him, she just likes to use him.

See how easy that was? Come to think of it, a similar manipulative justificaiton could be adopted for the formation of my kind of guild. Yes, Aegnarion?
))
Old 10-30-2012, 02:40 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellatri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
((
Because the population here is so low, I propose things be kept simple at first. Two rules:

1) Follow the server's naming policy.
2) OOC must be indicated as such in guildchat.

Regarding OOC, it might help to keep in mind that much of what passes for normal chat can still be considered "in-character." Consider:

A) Hail, Lord Aegnarion! Care for a swig? <hands the soldier a beer>
B) Anyone want to join me in Crushbone?
C) OMG, this noob totally just trained on me! He probably voted for <insert political buffoon here>.

A and B wouldn't require an OOC indicator, but C would.

Regarding factions, I say simply allow them to form ad hoc within the guild. If it grows enough and there's interest, split later. Convenience can easily be justified in-character. Consider:

I play a dark elf shadowknight and I have the opportunity to kill orcs with Aegnarion, a half elf paladin. Rather than pass up the opportunity, I simply justify it thusly:

Vellatri prefers to be a dark puppetmaster working behind the scenes. She sees that this pawn has a flaming sword that could be a useful tool in crippling the defenses at Crushbone, and that he has the energy and willingness to do so. This would undermine the efforts of the Neriak warrior's guild and the unworthy king. She doesn't have to like him, she just likes to use him.

See how easy that was? Come to think of it, a similar manipulative justificaiton could be adopted for the formation of my kind of guild. Yes, Aegnarion?
))
[[ You made a very big important point there, I will definitely not be under any circumstances allow stupid names to join. I take character names pretty seriously, whilst I don't expect all to research and have a meaning behind theirs, at least make it fantasy based/sounding..

Secondly your example was a pretty good one. That is the kind of thing I'm talking about as to why I want OOC indicated. It doesn't sit right with me for you to say A in character then say C OOC but not indicating it.. in some situations it will be harder to tell if you genuinely are in character or OOC... like B for example.

Third, I don't think my character would allow you to think of him as a 'pawn' and manipulate him, he is smarts [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]]]

Brother Hayle shouts, 'All hail Aegnarion, wielder of Soulfire!'

Follow my Adventures through Norrath!
Old 10-30-2012, 03:12 PM
Aviak

((
My overall point with the guildchat example is that speaking plainly isn't necessarily out of character. I was mostly addressing Ephirith's concern:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephirith [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
One problem is people's styles of roleplaying can differ dramatically. Me, for instance... I write stories occasionally on the forums but I very rarely ever roleplay in-game. It's also questionable to enforce a certain style of speech: why would someone call Kuriak m'lord when for the bulk of his career he was a wretched squire, pawn, knave, and a member of a lower order of iksar. Frankly, speaking in Ye Olde Englishe isn't relevant to my perception of most of EQ lore.
Things like "I'm busy hunting bears," "Anyone selling a decent 1-hander for paladins," or "How was the raid," can all be considered in-character, in my opinion. They're more or less in keeping with something you might expect a NPC to say. It's not like you have to actively change the way you speak just to remain in character. Simply avoid things that are obviously immersion-breaking.

In my experience in a guild that had a similar policy, it was enough to deter most unnecessary garbage. Avoiding talk of politics, TV, dewdspeak, or other trash is a big reason why some might feel the draw to a roleplay guild. Necessitating the use of OOC indicators for immersion-breaking chat makes it possible to discuss OOC things like game mechanics if necessary, but usually prevents it from getting out of control.

One can allow oneself to be immersed in the world without putting on a performance. Of course, colorful language and large imaginations can be strongly encouraged, even if they're not mandated.
))

Yes, of course you're VERY smart, Aegnarion, Wielder of Soulfire. <nods sagely>
Last edited by Vellatri; 10-30-2012 at 03:16 PM..
Old 10-30-2012, 04:59 PM
Sarnak

An RP guild would be awesome! I would definitely be down to join.

I do have some reservations though with trying to mix evil and good together too much. How can a follower of Mithaniel Marr group with a child of Innoruuk? Or better yet, how could a paladin of Rodcet Nife ever be around a follower of Bertoxxulous? They are just too polar opposites. I guess the characters in the guild would have to have some animosity towards one another if we were to keep everything unified, but if I am playing a healer of Rodcet Nife, in order to stay in character, I could never condone the actions of a necromancer of Bertoxxulous as they want to spread disease and blah blah blah you all know the back story.

There are exceptions of course. I have RPed as a necromancer and my friend as a paladin and we RPed that we were brothers and we had some complicated back story about our father being slain by the undead etc. to tie it together, but in general, it would be hard to make such a bind to hold a very open RP guild together.

If the majority wants to make a unified RP guild, I would make an agnostic character just to be apart of it. Probably a half-elf bard, but I am almost positive I would lapse into something along these lines http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...uTo7zKM8#t=17s

I like the idea of having a Good and Evil guild though. I would have characters for both of them. If a lot of people had characters in both, we still have the numbers without weakening the immersion too much.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:39 PM
Planar Protector

Cool idea but mixing good and evil ruins the immersion, thus defeating the whole purpose of RP.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:41 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinkum [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Cool idea but mixing good and evil ruins the immersion, thus defeating the whole purpose of RP.
[[ Kinda hard when the population wouldn't support a full good or evil guild... but I agree personally... I really would like an all good guild.
@Lexi I agree it doesn't sit right, but still it would be hard to create a following of just one side... I will have to see what I can brainstorm.]]

Brother Hayle shouts, 'All hail Aegnarion, wielder of Soulfire!'

Follow my Adventures through Norrath!
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Aviak

Ok why not make a Grand adventurers type guild its been done in many a fantasy novel yes its harder to roleplay but why not i mean its been done have everyone allowed in it and have some people despise each other but because your working towards the same goal its ok just this once
Old 10-30-2012, 05:46 PM
Planar Protector

I suppose it depends on your goals and vision. Do you want this guild to be a raiding guild? If so, then it is clear that you have to mix good and evil (you're going to need Shamans and the like).

If you're just looking to RP in guildchat, make friends and XP together then that's another story. There was a guild on this server right when Kunark launched that was Iksar-only, they never raided or anything serious, but it was what it was.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:48 PM
Aviak

((
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexical [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
How can a follower of Mithaniel Marr group with a child of Innoruuk? Or better yet, how could a paladin of Rodcet Nife ever be around a follower of Bertoxxulous? They are just too polar opposites.
Chains. Duh.

Seriously, though, I wouldn't expect the guild (the game mechanic) to be the same Guild (in-character group) that every player belongs to. Does that make sense? At least to begin with, we can simply use the game mechanic to unite like-minded players while their unlike-minded characters have their own informal factions if they so desire. The characters do not have to acknowledge the existence of the guild.

This seems to be a good way to start because this may turn out to be only a small bunch of people. Splitting into two tiny groups prematurely might kill off one, leaving no real place for characters of that alignment. It may also be hard for the evil group to find enchanters and bards, for example.
))
Old 10-30-2012, 06:05 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellatri [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
((
This seems to be a good way to start because this may turn out to be only a small bunch of people. Splitting into two tiny groups prematurely might kill off one, leaving no real place for characters of that alignment. It may also be hard for the evil group to find enchanters and bards, for example.
))
I understand that our numbers would be small at first, but I figured if we started a good and an evil guild simultaneously while still having some public medium for the two guilds to talk to one another. It would have the same unifying effect without having to be under the same banner and thus spoil the immersion. For example, everyone in both guilds could hang out in an IRC channel and find groups or w/e that way. It could also be the OOC medium the guild wants. The two guilds also wouldn't affect raiding that much because Good and Evil can always work together to slay a dragon.... well unless you follow Veeshan, but who the heck follows Veeshan?

On a side note, will there be a vote on what to name the guild(s)?