Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 10:56 AM
Fire Giant

With 41℅ haste, my paladin seems to be doing approximately 35-38 dps against dark blue mobs in classic zones with my 47/41 2hb. Against the same mobs, my 24/22 1hs does closer to 32-35 dps (excluding the proc). The 1hs has far more consistent dps while the 2hb can be hilariously variable.

Against green mobs with low AC, the 2hb is way better (dumb sand giants don't know what hit them), but generally 2h weapons do seem less effective than you'd expect. I'm sure this gets even worse as mob level and AC increases.

I'll keep both weapons in my bags and swap out at random to keep things interesting, but I've gone so far as to update my Magelo to reflect the 1hs as my primary weapon. I should note that the superior fashion rating of the sword played a big role in that momentous decision.
Old 10-24-2016, 12:56 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
With 41℅ haste, my paladin seems to be doing approximately 35-38 dps against dark blue mobs in classic zones with my 47/41 2hb. Against the same mobs, my 24/22 1hs does closer to 32-35 dps (excluding the proc). The 1hs has far more consistent dps while the 2hb can be hilariously variable.

Against green mobs with low AC, the 2hb is way better (dumb sand giants don't know what hit them), but generally 2h weapons do seem less effective than you'd expect. I'm sure this gets even worse as mob level and AC increases.

I'll keep both weapons in my bags and swap out at random to keep things interesting, but I've gone so far as to update my Magelo to reflect the 1hs as my primary weapon. I should note that the superior fashion rating of the sword played a big role in that momentous decision.
Interesting, from what you said the 1HS did better vs low-AC mobs than I would have expected. Just goes to show how weak 2H are right now imo. I would be interested if you ever do a test against higher-AC mobs.

Also, don't forget that shield ac is another benefit to the sword and board. If you able to get your hands on a high-ac shield like the Sevalak one or NToV one you will notice a pretty huge boost in worn AC, simply because the shield is the only slot in EQ where you get ALL the ac from the item even if you're above the softcap,
Old 10-26-2016, 01:14 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Interesting, from what you said the 1HS did better vs low-AC mobs than I would have expected. Just goes to show how weak 2H are right now imo. I would be interested if you ever do a test against higher-AC mobs.

Also, don't forget that shield ac is another benefit to the sword and board. If you able to get your hands on a high-ac shield like the Sevalak one or NToV one you will notice a pretty huge boost in worn AC, simply because the shield is the only slot in EQ where you get ALL the ac from the item even if you're above the softcap,
Got any evidence this is the case/was the case in classic eq? Pretty sure the concept of shield ac was added way later.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:00 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by koros [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Got any evidence this is the case/was the case in classic eq? Pretty sure the concept of shield ac was added way later.
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that Shield AC applies on P99. What point in the timeline it was added on classic/live is another question. Maybe try checking old patch notes or Steel Warrior forums and see exactly when it was added.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Fire Giant

Do we actually know where the soft cap kicks in? The best info I could find was in this forum thread, but I don't know if any of that is true on P99. I had heard AC was borked on this server a long time ago so never really focused on AC as an important stat. Might be time to revisit some of my gear now that it seems to be fixed, but I'd be very interested to see how close to the soft cap my paladin is already.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:24 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage Truthbearer [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Maybe, but I'm pretty sure that Shield AC applies on P99. What point in the timeline it was added on classic/live is another question. Maybe try checking old patch notes or Steel Warrior forums and see exactly when it was added.
Sevalak shield definitely adds a ton of visual ac

I think i was gaining 97 visual ac from equipping it but its been a while since i looked
Old 10-26-2016, 03:04 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallanor [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Do we actually know where the soft cap kicks in? The best info I could find was in this forum thread, but I don't know if any of that is true on P99. I had heard AC was borked on this server a long time ago so never really focused on AC as an important stat. Might be time to revisit some of my gear now that it seems to be fixed, but I'd be very interested to see how close to the soft cap my paladin is already.
I think the AC softcap on live was supposed to be really low, supposedly only around 300 AC for plate classes. See this thread: http://reborninfire.proboards.com/thread/37

If that is true on P99, then you'd add up all your Item AC and anything above the first 300 will be penalized by 55% (Warriors) or 66% (Knights), except for shields which you would get 100% of the AC from.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
I think the AC softcap on live was supposed to be really low, supposedly only around 300 AC for plate classes. See this thread: http://reborninfire.proboards.com/thread/37

If that is true on P99, then you'd add up all your Item AC and anything above the first 300 will be penalized by 55% (Warriors) or 66% (Knights), except for shields which you would get 100% of the AC from.
Interesting. 300 does seem pretty low, though I'm only at 230 before factoring in the shield. Room for improvement!
Closed Thread