Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-05-2017, 09:29 AM
Sarnak

Question Where did all the platinum come from?

I had a discussion with a friend yesterday about where the p99 blue and red economy came from when the server first launched. The server firsts who rushed to 50 then 60 and got geared out of course had access to the top item camps in Classic and Kunark and later Velious..but the items wouldn't be worth much to sellers until buyers had enough plat to meet demands. According to the p99 wiki, item prices in general have been rising since the server's launch but was it always 10pp per stack of bone chips, if you get my drift?

My buddy mentioned a glitch/exploit regarding a banker in rivervale back in 1999 live..if you gave him something like 50 gold and hit "change" he would give you back 50 plat and so on and so forth. This was apparently a thing in live until it was patched out and I am not sure if this was even a thing on project 1999. Did everyone just farm vendorable plat such as seafuries for months on end to amass hundreds of thousands of platinum and then control the market from this emulation's inception on both servers?

I do recall at one time in 2015 there was a glitch with the necromancer guards in West Cabilis that [unnamed guild] exploited to generate a ton of platinum but this was reversed by the server staff here.

Perhaps a long time player can shed some light on how people had over 1 million PP in the bank around 2010-2011 on project 1999. (Not regarding item duping/RMT because the platinum has to be there in the first place for there to be an economy of buyers and sellers.)
Last edited by kgallowaypa; 04-05-2017 at 09:31 AM..
Old 04-05-2017, 09:38 AM
Planar Protector

Seafuries were better at the time and people were averaging about 1k per hour there. Do that for 1000 hours and you have 1 million plat. But that's just one person. Consider the whole population of the server getting vendorable plat in the form of gargoyle eyes, gems, fine steel weapons and even just coin drop from giants over the course of a summer and it's not hard to see how millions of plat come into the economy and stays there with no significant plat sinks in the game.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:39 AM
Planar Protector

I'd have to stop and think about best money per hour in raw plat. I know Seb NG is gonna get you 1k/hr on a bad day, more if you can pull the disco bugs too. I see chanters soloing it all the time.

At that rate you're gonna have hundreds of thousands of platinum on the server inside of a month, just from that one camp. I'm sure there are others.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:53 AM
Planar Protector

The more interesting question is how many millions of plat worth of copper, silver and gold have been destroyed over the years? Or left to rot?
Old 04-05-2017, 10:02 AM
Planar Protector

There's lots of little plat generators as you level up just from having bag space to carry to vendor. Fine steel, high quality ore, gems, bronze armor all add up. Add in zonewide random loot like truesteel which is 350p off kaesora mobs, 'bad' drops off named vendoring decently, it all adds up.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:03 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Seafuries were better at the time and people were averaging about 1k per hour there. Do that for 1000 hours and you have 1 million plat. But that's just one person. Consider the whole population of the server getting vendorable plat in the form of gargoyle eyes, gems, fine steel weapons and even just coin drop from giants over the course of a summer and it's not hard to see how millions of plat come into the economy and stays there with no significant plat sinks in the game.
Raid guild recharging items is a decent plat sink. They spend dozens of K recharging their members each week and that plat goes poof, ask an awakened officer to estimate how many millions of platinum they have taken out of circulation sometime....
Old 04-05-2017, 10:05 AM
Sarnak

Here is a snippet of the server pop on a Saturday roughly 7 years ago from today on project1999.org at the time - https://web.archive.org/web/20100404...oject1999.org/ So with about 511 active, I wonder how many were in EC on mules bartering goods around..maybe a population of 300 active players at the servers inception? I assume maybe a handful were very hard-core and took live spots and allakhazam notes before the wiki was substantial enough to just farm out stuff and amass the plat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Assume a full time employee could play about 20 hours a week between 6pm -11pm and a few hours on the weekend, that would net around 25 hours a week strictly farming. I am pretty sure that persons brain would be melted if he/she needed to do seafuries for ~ 40 weeks to break that 1 million plat barrier.

Another snippet from August of 2010 where the FBSS was selling on average on these boards for..$17,000 Platinum. Theres also some random guy selling *infinite* supplies of Cloak of Flames lol

https://web.archive.org/web/20100825...splay.php?f=27
Last edited by kgallowaypa; 04-05-2017 at 10:13 AM..
Old 04-05-2017, 11:29 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Another snippet from August of 2010 where the FBSS was selling on average on these boards for..$17,000 Platinum. Theres also some random guy selling *infinite* supplies of Cloak of Flames lol

I think the seller was making a joke because there was a server rollback. He had sold one, server rolled back, so he had it again to sell (I assume the plat from the first transaction was rolled back as well). The guy selling the FBSS for 17k mentioned the same thing.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:52 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgallowaypa [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Here is a snippet of the server pop on a Saturday roughly 7 years ago from today on project1999.org at the time - https://web.archive.org/web/20100404...oject1999.org/ So with about 511 active, I wonder how many were in EC on mules bartering goods around..maybe a population of 300 active players at the servers inception? I assume maybe a handful were very hard-core and took live spots and allakhazam notes before the wiki was substantial enough to just farm out stuff and amass the plat.

Assume a full time employee could play about 20 hours a week between 6pm -11pm and a few hours on the weekend, that would net around 25 hours a week strictly farming. I am pretty sure that persons brain would be melted if he/she needed to do seafuries for ~ 40 weeks to break that 1 million plat barrier.

But it's not just one person at sea furies. 5 people at sea furies were getting around 1k per hour and those 5 didn't necessarily stay there 24/7, but they were camped quite heavily around the clock. The economy doesn't care who is holding the plat, the plat is in the economy regardless. Besides, sea furies is just one camp and an insignificant portion of the new plat being generated. I just picked that as example of how quickly 1 million plat can come into the economy.

Those 511 at prime time did not make up the full population of everyone who logged in that day. Some come, play for a bit, then go. There could be 511 people on at any given time, yet the server might have seen 5000 unique players, all generating new coin for the economy, even if it's just a few gold from selling rusty weapons, do that day in and day out and it'll add up fast.

And it only makes sense that the plat will accumulate in EC, because that's where people go to buy and sell. The first thing a noob does who scraped together 20 plat for a weapon is either go to EC to buy one, or buy it from someone else who will eventually take that 20 plat to EC with them, so they can buy an upgrade for themselves.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:07 PM
Sarnak

Seafuries
Closed Thread