Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 08-14-2022, 06:16 PM
Orc

Default Leveling up from 1 to 12 as an necromancer human - close to FREEPORT

I will be honest, I looked into many guides but they only give information PAST lv 12, like, everyone only mentions past lv 12 locations ( https://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=332314 )

And is in this level range where I suffer the most and need help cuz I'm a noob in classic EQ. Only played live EQ(have a lv 66 necro there) and in Vaniki server which allows me to do the tutorial with Gates of Discord experience rate and after the tutorial go to the Fields of Bones, a place which I can't reach in p99(and don't wanna to play as an Lizard)

Sesserdrix's guide also skips this levels. Which is exactly where I'm having huge troubles leveling up, getting almost no xp

Quote:
"These levels are slow and grueling, and there is really no perfect spot. I suggest finding whatever way through this you can. If you have access to power leveling, these are the levels to push through. You do not have the mana sustainability to effectively fear kite, you do not have roots, nor a charm. You're going to be blundering around getting any experience you can."
https://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix%27s_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Gui de#The_First_12_Levels

I tried :
  • North Desert of Ro
  • Freeport sewers
  • East Commonlands
  • Restart in Qeynos
  • Qeynos sewers
  • North part of Qeynos

And the game continues being NOTHING but frustrating. I usually rage quit and delete my char to not start again only to try p99 again and be frustrated in a cycle.

Any way to get into Field of Bones without having to play as an Lizard and bind myself there?

If the awnser is not, sorry but I think that I will not play P1999. IS too frustrating in every place that I tried to play as an necro. And I already have enough frustration IRL.
Old 08-15-2022, 03:21 AM
Planar Protector

Wizards and druids can take you to emerald jungle and bind you outside kaesora in field of Bone. Near the half elf is good. Be warned - its hard to vendor or bank. There is a gauntlet of mobs to run to get to pit.

Instead of field of bone have you tried Qeynos hills / black burrow?

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Last edited by Jimjam; 08-15-2022 at 03:24 AM..
Old 08-15-2022, 04:23 AM
Fire Giant

If your finding 1-12 frustrating you won't enjoy leveling beyond that. 1-12 can be done just in ec very fast killing random trash mobs
It only gets slower after 12, p99 is not fast leveling like on live.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:58 AM
Orc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Wizards and druids can take you to emerald jungle and bind you outside kaesora in field of Bone. Near the half elf is good. Be warned - its hard to vendor or bank. There is a gauntlet of mobs to run to get to pit.

Instead of field of bone have you tried Qeynos hills / black burrow?
I will try there, I rather worship Innoruuk but if he can't give me a way to ascend my knowledge for the dark arts, I will find someone else who will teach me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If your finding 1-12 frustrating you won't enjoy leveling beyond that. 1-12 can be done just in ec very fast killing random trash mobs
The problem is not the low XP per kill. I can live with that, in fact, in Vaniki server, I"m lv 38 and the XP / kill in this server is just a BIT higher than classic.

My problem is only having low density areas with lots of "greens" and "reds" and nothing to kill. Also, necros only get poison bolt as an useful offensive spell till lv 11. Is in lv 12 where they can cast heat blood and a huge slow in the enemy. Before that, attempting to use an pet in any encounter isn't worth since the pet will outDPS you and eat 50% of the XP.

The guide which I posted mentions FoB as the greatest advantage of Iksar. Did you played as an necro? You will be using melee a lot in in the beginning, even in the ultra fast to level up live.
Old 08-15-2022, 09:56 AM
Planar Protector

Qeynos

Level 1-3 newbie ground, kill decaying skeletons.

Level 4-12 qeynos hills and blackburrow, collect gnoll fangs and turn them in for massive exp.

Freeport

Level 1-3 newbie ground

Level 4-12 kill single orc and wolf in East Freeport and collect belts, boring but easy. Or get into orc group in EC.

Gfay

Level 1-3 newbie ground

Level 4-12 crushbone or steamfont

Odus

Level 1-3 if evil in newbie ground

Level 4-12 leave odus, just need to learn how to get into the qeynos catacombs from boat and then exit in the newbie ground, get bound too.

Level 1-12 - If good, leave Odus, get bound in qeynos and use the qeynos leveling path.
Old 08-15-2022, 10:51 AM
Planar Protector

Try get your hands on a decent melee weapon and a bunch of tanky gear. Really helps push thru the first 8 levels.

Gorgen (Blue) - Agnostic Troll Warrior of the XXXI Dung

Old 08-15-2022, 10:57 AM
Planar Protector

FP 1 -5 mass kill with lvl 4 pet in the southern part of FP with the orcs and wolf get lots of chips

then coytotes and kitties in N ro

then spiders beetles and undeads until like 12-18 or so once u can kill the big beetles and big spiders ur set

then oasis till 20

then go wherever you damn well please

this is the best way to experience the game
Old 08-15-2022, 11:59 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatChapp [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I don't think that's their issue. The issue is that East Commonlands is a garbage starting zone. The only redeeming quality is that you can frequently get huge buffs at the tunnel to kill the few mobs you can find that out-level you, but that's still a waste of time compared to any starting zone that has good early hand-in quests.

It has the same problem a lot of early zones have, the level ranges aren't gradual enough. Mobs are basically like, level 1 or they're level 6, so you hit these awkward gaps where things are either too hard to kill or they're giving virtually no experience.

Leveling in EC early on is a huge, huge waste of time. You level substantially faster in Butcherblock Mountains grinding Decaying Skeletons for bone chip hand ins and aviak talon handins (rarer), gets you to level 7 or 8 in a few hours solo unbuffed and a ton of spare coin.

Really, if you're not starting a character in an area with easy high XP quest hand-ins, you're going to have a pretty slow, miserable time starting unless you're twinked out, and from the sound of it, OP isn't twinked out.

Sadly though as a human necro I don't know of many good options for you. Dark Elves and Iksar have substantially better starting areas for Necromancers, by a wide margin.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:05 PM
Orc

Did the Qeynos fang quest and OMG. 4 Gnoll fangs for about 40% xp at lv 6. Finally found a good place to level up.

Another question. Does my conjuration skill increases the chances of conjuring an higher level mob? And when I reach lv 20, worth investing huge sums of money to get specialization - conjuration as high as possible ASAP?
Old 08-16-2022, 12:32 AM
Fire Giant

No, pets are summoned randomly within the level range of the pet spell. You'll have to get comfortable either not caring what level pet you summon or dismiss them and resummon them until you get the highest level one. Eventually you can't tell by conning them though.

And no, absolutely do not ever spend money on training things like Conjuration or Specialized Conjuration. They'll naturally max out because all you do is cast spells.