Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Old 09-08-2022, 10:20 PM
Large Bat

Default noob here, was thinking of rolling a ranger or a shaman.

i like both the ranger and shaman theming a lot.

however, my favourite race in the game is barbarian. on the other hand, i am interested in pulling and maybe tanking in groups. i want to be on the frontlines, not just sitting down getting carried by the group. can shaman play the way i want or will i just be stuck sitting? also, how hard is it to find groups as a ranger? seems like people might not care for a ranger if they can get any of the normal tanks.
Old 09-09-2022, 12:16 AM
Fire Giant

With Torpor a shaman can hard-carry most groups. However once you get to this point a shaman doesn't really need to group with anyone anymore (can solo most things at this point) unless you have a monk or warrior buddy and want to smash harder things.

As a new player any level of gear playing a shaman is going to contribute more to a group, simply because they are a healer..... even with garbage gear you still have a mana bar, any +mana regen from your group, your cannibilize mana, and heal spells. However they spend a large portion of the leveling experiance (Sitting, getting more mana, and healing) simply because its far more mana efficent, slowing mobs only becomes more mana efficient in the later levels 50+. Also nearly every caster in this game during the leveling experiance except bard will find themselves sitting doing nothing but getting more mana a decent chunk of the time... thats just how casters in this game works.... That said once shamans have Torpor they are NEVER sitting, they can be extremely active and front-lines at that point

As a new player a ranger is probably going to be just another melee dps and will not be filling the "tank slot" unless there is no other option. They CAN tank, but assuming new player gear levels there is going to be lots of monks,wars,pal,sk's that are going to tank well before you do just to be mana efficient

Summary - As a new player don't expect to be the all-star immediately regardless of class. Shaman's are almost always going to be a major part of a group....rangers not so much unless they are an amazing ranger or well-geared. Rangers being a melee/hybrid are gear dependent. Shamans at end-game are expensive, spells cost lots of plat but in terms of group synergy and overall solo-power way stronger than rangers.
Foxlich [60 Necromancer] Foxplosion [60 Wizard]
Foxstab [60 Rogue] /Foxcharming [60 Enchanter] / Foxfrenzy [60 Warrior]
Last edited by Foxplay; 09-09-2022 at 12:19 AM..
Old 09-09-2022, 01:54 AM
Fire Giant

Ranger can tank fine 1-50 more or less. Just stack HP and AC. They are also excellent group pullers, esp. in outdoor zones. Track and harmony are chef's kiss. Some people will give you shit, but if you're good, plenty will love you. I had an absolute blast with my Ranger. 50+ is less fun as many of the group hunting spots are indoors and your defensive skills start to fall off compared to other classes. Classes are balanced a little differently 1-50 vs 51-60, which is a little tricky. Ranger is a fine raid class at 60 though, so it gets better.

Shamans when they solo sometimes tank after slowing the mob. It is one style of soloing, which is more effective the better gear you have. However in a group they will definitely not tank. They are powerful soloers at level 60 with a lot of money worth of gears and spells, but aren't a fun raid class. You mostly just buff people and heal melees.
Last edited by Keebz; 09-09-2022 at 01:56 AM..
Old 09-09-2022, 09:00 PM
Large Bat

thanks for the information, i ended up trying out a monk instead because theyre less gear reliant and feign death sounded really fun! im having a good time, username is Jukenpo if anyone sees me out in the wild
Old 09-10-2022, 02:14 PM
Fire Giant

Monk is a great choice bud. You on green?
Old 09-14-2022, 08:04 AM
Orc

[QUOTE=Foxplay;3502790]With Torpor a shaman can hard-carry most groups. However once you get to this point a shaman doesn't really need to group with anyone anymore (can solo most things at this point) unless you have a monk or warrior buddy and want to smash harder things.

Can't wait to reach that point. Honestly Shaman is a lot of fun (even though you do sit a lot). I have 0 regrets about maining a Shaman. Ranger is kind of the meme class of P99, as it doesn't really come into its own until Luc/PoP (if I recall). Don't let that deter you, because I know a lot of people who main a Ranger seriously an love it.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfOfOdin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Ranger is kind of the meme class of P99, as it doesn't really come into its own until Luc/PoP (if I recall). Don't let that deter you, because I know a lot of people who main a Ranger seriously an love it.
When I started my Ranger, I had to ignore the rumors, and I'm glad I did because Ranger is so fun.

You just have to keep your expectations low. They aren't a powerhouse class. I tried fear-kiting animals in OT at level 51 and was having trouble...so they're not the best solo. But then again neither are Rogues. Or any melee class.

However, Rangers do not get enough love for their ability to pull. Harmony isn't a spell - it's a super power.

I will still argue that Rangers surpass Monks when it comes to pulling. I could walk into Mistmoore Castle, choose any mob I wanted from inside, and walk it out without a problem. Surgical pulls. Granted, only useful in outdoor zones, but still.

Rangers are like Rogues with a few beneficial spells (like SoW)
Old 09-17-2022, 06:34 AM
Large Bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebz [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Monk is a great choice bud. You on green?
yes, my character name is Jukenpo