Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Old 09-10-2022, 09:45 PM
Sarnak

Default Next gear for druid and shaman

I've got a druid up to 37 and a shaman up to 23, both decently kitted out with newbie gear, and now I'm starting to make enough plat to think about bigger upgrades. What should I look out for next?

I know the proper min-max perspective is to say gear doesn't matter, just start saving up for the expensive stuff like fungi tunic, JBB, Torpor, etc. But I don't expect to play either of these characters much past 50, and I'm certainly never going to raid or spend much time in the endgame. I'd much rather steadily get slightly better gear over time than just bank all my plat for the future.

For the shaman, seems like Silver Chitin Hand Wraps and a Poison Wind Censer are the right upgrades. I have no idea what I should target next for the druid, other than perhaps some jewelry upgrades and something for the Back slot.

Any suggestions? Magelo links in sig.
Old 09-10-2022, 11:32 PM
Planar Protector

For your Shaman you are on the right path. SCHW and Poison Wind Censer will give you the best bang for your buck, aside from the expensive stuff already mentioned.

I don't play druids, so I am not as helpful there. Mana items are always good, and a https://wiki.project1999.com/Luminescent_Staff would help with soloing. 6K is pricey for you, but still cheaper than the expensive Shaman items.
Old 09-11-2022, 11:31 AM
Planar Protector

https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping_a_Shaman and https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping_a_Druid have a lot of suggestions, but fundamentally if you're doing this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbrown [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'd much rather steadily get slightly better gear over time than just bank all my plat for the future.
you are swimming upstream, with the classes you chose at least. That strategy makes much more sense for melee characters.

For both Shaman and Druid (but especially Shaman) all the power comes from "big ticket" items like the JBB, your spells (not just Torpor, but several other high-level ones are expensive too), your epic, etc. If you don't save up for (say) a JBB, you'll notice it's absence ... but I can pretty much guarantee you'll never notice the difference in DPS from a new melee weapon (you'll just kill the mobs 0.01% faster). (Of course, you can't use the JBB until 45, so before then it's obviously not important, and the same is true of epic and spells.)

Druids are less gear dependent, but again "stat gear" (ie. slow/steady upgrades) don't really help them much. For them the big ticket items (which are much cheaper and more attainable) are the Goblin Ghazugi Ring and (at 45) the Luminescent staff.

So look, this is a game and you should have fun, and if acquiring +5 more Wisdom is fun for you, go for it. But if you want to make your character noticeably better in the game, you're going to have to save up, or farm items yourself (the Goblin Ghazugi Ring is even farmable at your level, if you're patient enough).

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-11-2022, 01:06 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping_a_Shaman and https://wiki.project1999.com/Equipping_a_Druid have a lot of suggestions, but fundamentally if you're doing this:

you are swimming upstream, with the classes you chose at least. That strategy makes much more sense for melee characters.

For both Shaman and Druid (but especially Shaman) all the power comes from "big ticket" items like the JBB, your spells (not just Torpor, but several other high-level ones are expensive too), your epic, etc. If you don't save up for (say) a JBB, you'll notice it's absence ... but I can pretty much guarantee you'll never notice the difference in DPS from a new melee weapon (you'll just kill the mobs 0.01% faster). (Of course, you can't use the JBB until 45, so before then it's obviously not important, and the same is true of epic and spells.)

Druids are less gear dependent, but again "stat gear" (ie. slow/steady upgrades) don't really help them much. For them the big ticket items (which are much cheaper and more attainable) are the Goblin Ghazugi Ring and (at 45) the Luminescent staff.

So look, this is a game and you should have fun, and if acquiring +5 more Wisdom is fun for you, go for it. But if you want to make your character noticeably better in the game, you're going to have to save up, or farm items yourself (the Goblin Ghazugi Ring is even farmable at your level, if you're patient enough).
Silver Chitin Hand Wraps and a Poison Wind Censer are the best way to level from 1-40 as a Shaman. JBB isn't usable until 45, as you say. Shamans are good at melee for a priest class. They have the same weapon skill cap as Warriors from levels 1-50. They make up for not having double attack and the main hand damage bonus by being able to haste and strength buff themselves. Slow tanking and meleeing is superior to root rotting until your 40s, when you need to start fighting level 40 mobs. Level 40+ mobs get a big boost to their AC/HP/Attack, so meleeing becomes a lot less effective for a Shaman. You can just sell the SCHW and Poison Wind Censer when you need to buy JBB. Their prices are already really low, so you aren't going to lose much later on by reselling them.

Once you hit 45 you will be using JBB nonstop if you have it, and you won't be doing melee anymore. The most you will do is have auto attack on, spamming JBB while face tanking mobs. You will get a hit in between JBB casts.
Last edited by DeathsSilkyMist; 09-11-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Old 09-11-2022, 01:27 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Silver Chitin Hand Wraps and a Poison Wind Censer are the best way to level from 1-40 as a Shaman. JBB isn't usable until 45, as you say. Shamans are good at melee for a priest class. They have the same weapon skill cap as Warriors from levels 1-50. They make up for not having double attack and the main hand damage bonus by being able to haste and strength buff themselves. Slow tanking and meleeing is superior to root rotting until your 40s, when you need to start fighting level 40 mobs. Level 40+ mobs get a big boost to their AC/HP/Attack, so meleeing becomes a lot less effective for a Shaman. You can just sell the SCHW and Poison Wind Censer when you need to buy JBB. Their prices are already really low, so you aren't going to lose much later on by reselling them.

Once you hit 45 you will be using JBB nonstop if you have it, and you won't be doing melee anymore. The most you will do is have auto attack on, spamming JBB while face tanking mobs. You will get a hit in between JBB casts.
None of that changes the fact that OP won't notice a difference if they upgrade the gear to get +5 more in a stat, or even if they upgrade their melee weapon. Instead of dying in 50 seconds, the mob will die in 49.4 seconds [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 09-11-2022, 02:26 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
None of that changes the fact that OP won't notice a difference if they upgrade the gear to get +5 more in a stat, or even if they upgrade their melee weapon. Instead of dying in 50 seconds, the mob will die in 49.4 seconds [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I agree stat pieces are not very relevant 1-40, other than max HP items and some AC.

But meleeing is considerably faster than root/rotting, because you are spending a lot less mana, and not getting hit very hard due to mobs being weaker from 1-39, especially with slow.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:09 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Yeah, fair enough. I guess I'll just leave the shaman in mostly banded armor then. I'm definitely not patient enough to farm the Ghazugi Ring. I've found the Halfling hide racial ability to be pretty reliable, especially in a macro that auto-targets me when it fails so I'm set up to cast Invis.
Old 09-11-2022, 04:14 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathsSilkyMist [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
But meleeing is considerably faster than root/rotting, because you are spending a lot less mana, and not getting hit very hard due to mobs being weaker from 1-39, especially with slow.
It's also a lot more interesting to me. Root rotting is sitting around waiting for the mob to die, then sitting around waiting to med up. I'd rather be standing up and swinging a club.

Thanks for both of your perspectives.
Old 09-11-2022, 09:40 PM
Planar Protector

For the druid (a lot of these would apply to shaman too):

Thurg wrist / chest, Earring of Woven Bark, Coldain Skin Boots, Othmir Fur Cloak, Obulus Death Shroud, Skyfury Scimitar, Frozen Orb

oh rip you didnt go tunare, no free DS gloves for you, shame because they're so so good for charming
Old 09-12-2022, 05:55 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxigen [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
For the druid (a lot of these would apply to shaman too):

Thurg wrist / chest, Earring of Woven Bark, Coldain Skin Boots, Othmir Fur Cloak, Obulus Death Shroud, Skyfury Scimitar, Frozen Orb

oh rip you didnt go tunare, no free DS gloves for you, shame because they're so so good for charming
That along with losing the root neck is pretty large. Maybe worth re-rolling over.