Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 06:01 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Rogue or monk DUO

I have been blessed with a girlfriend that loves everquest in general and we have been happily playing p99 for over 2 years now that being said we duo almost all the time together getting xp and looting corpses dry. We have been quite happy with my necromancer and her druid but now she wants to play a dps melee class that would complement my necromancer on our adventures!

So far we are considering a Monk or a Rogue. Considering my necro can fear mobs and has some slight healing abilities to help mitigate any damage she may take which class would be the most dps considering a mob always being in fear mode?

naturally a rogue can freely back stab away when a mob is in fear mode. But is it enough or equal to that of a monk? I have never played a monk but i Do know they get mend and really cool kicks that are decient dmg let me know your guys thoughts!
Old 08-25-2016, 12:48 AM
Fire Giant

They are both solid dps. Neither are ideal, though. Fear kiting sucks as a melee.

If you're going that route though, I'd recommend monk. They can mitigate better and self heal, and when that doesn't work you can both fd. Depending on the mobs (and gear) the monk could possibly tank with you healing too.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:49 AM
Fire Giant

rogue outdoes the monk in damage far and away, but the monks ability to tank combined with your ability to heal + debuff (albeit not much, but the heartflutter/asystole/cessation line) would make the monk a better choice imo. + both FD, you can root adds, can screaming terror/fd + her sneak pulling you could pull off some clean breaks on otherwise difficult camps.

I just can't see fear kiting being as useful as you are imagining. the scenario I outline seems much more viable.
Old 08-25-2016, 04:13 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesop [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
rogue outdoes the monk in damage far and away...

I just can't see fear kiting being as useful as you are imagining. the scenario I outline seems much more viable.
I have chased mobs on my rogues. It sucks. The rogue likely won't outdamage a monk in most situations here. Both classes will have issues with missed attacks due to hit box, but the monk will always do full damage where the rogue can waste a backstab due to the mob turning, fear wearing off, etc. Monk doesn't require positioning for kicks and claws and strikes.

As to your second point, I agree. Chasing mobs gets old. It's fine for pets or the occasional runner, but all day, every day...no thanks. Monk can do much better in this duo.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:04 AM
Planar Protector

Monk will definitely bring more to the table than rogue.
Cerras - Hierophant // Dharkan - Warlock
Kirua - Assassin // Veuve - Gravelord
Tornade - Warder // Fikko - High Priest
Dikkenek - Warlord // Barraki - Crusader
Old 08-25-2016, 07:19 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

how much damage do the claws kicks and other special attacks on a monk do? which ones share the same cool down timer? which one is the absolute best to use?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:50 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Also what are some good monk weapons to look out for? I see gearing a monk is relatively cheap to be competitive from what read so far
Old 08-25-2016, 09:26 AM
Sarnak

Chasing a snared/feared mob is pretty darn easy. One of my favorite duos 50+ when leveling up my Rogue was with a Bard, Necro, or Enchanter and fear kiting. Of course I did solo up to level 40 with instill doubt and NO SNARE on both my rogue and monk, so I guess my perspective is different than some lazier people.

That said, Monk is just a much stronger class than Rogue outside of the moderate DPS advantage when the rogue can backstab. Both of you being able to FD makes getting to tough camps a cinch, and the monk can tank about as well as a knight.

Life's hard when you're stupid.
Old 08-25-2016, 09:39 AM
Fire Giant

staying in a feared mobs hit box is easy...just strafe along side the mob, can still land backstabs from there as well...did that duoing ice burrowers with a bard on monk, and duoing fear kiting with a necro on my rogue...
Old 08-25-2016, 09:41 AM
Planar Protector

Definitely Monk, but fear kiting nonstop as melee is a boring and annoying way to level.
Closed Thread