Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:35 AM
Planar Protector

I'm wanting to edit my post to say its nerfed now. Ill annotate the video later
Old 07-14-2017, 11:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caiu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Way to fuck up a good thing p1999!
LOL
Old 07-14-2017, 11:54 AM
Fire Giant

its just like regular eq, if you manage to take advantage in honest ways they ban the quest, the quest been here forever? but was never famous, once it get famous, it get nerfed.
Old 07-14-2017, 12:51 PM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocode [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
its just like regular eq, if you manage to take advantage in honest ways they ban the quest, the quest been here forever? but was never famous, once it get famous, it get nerfed.
The quest is a part of the Karana Bertox plague event, and will be going away as soon as the Chardok 2.0, et al patch is released.

That said, it was absolutely justified in being nerfed. The game has bugs, or unintended features, if you will, like any other bit of software. Folks figured out how to take advantage of the mechanics and exploited the shit out of it. So, it got the nerf bat. I'm not condemning anyone for taking advantage of that (this is a fucking game after all), but there is certainly no cause to blame management for taking the exploit away.

There are workarounds, of course, but why take the development cycles when a quick value change can be done on the fly?
Old 07-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brocode [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it was a mistake the devs made sure, but in almost every other case if a bug was there in classic, the P99 team keeps it. That's how P99 works: it's about re-creating the past, not "fixing" it.

IMHO the "nerf" wasn't just because the quest was popular, it was because one of two things happened. Either:
  • when they first coded the quest they screwed up and made the quest give too much XP (more than live did), like they did with gnoll fangs or WL giants faction. This sort of thing is bound to happen given the fractured Wayback machine info they're using, and the supposed "nerf" wasn't a nerf at all, just them fixing a mistake to make things more classic
  • it had do with the player fights: the one time staff seems willing to make an exception to the "keep it classic" rule is when keeping it classic would make life difficult for the staff (eg. the un-classic "AoEs only hit 25 mobs at once" change)

So maybe they did it to fix a mistake, or maybe they did it to save staff sanity, but I highly doubt it was just because it was popular. There are far too many examples of popular "wrong but classic" things like item recharging in the game that would have been removed if the staff only cared about nerfing what's popular.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Last edited by loramin; 07-14-2017 at 01:21 PM..
Old 07-14-2017, 02:38 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by loramin [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it was a mistake the devs made sure, but in almost every other case if a bug was there in classic, the P99 team keeps it. That's how P99 works: it's about re-creating the past, not "fixing" it.

IMHO the "nerf" wasn't just because the quest was popular, it was because one of two things happened. Either:
  • when they first coded the quest they screwed up and made the quest give too much XP (more than live did), like they did with gnoll fangs or WL giants faction. This sort of thing is bound to happen given the fractured Wayback machine info they're using, and the supposed "nerf" wasn't a nerf at all, just them fixing a mistake to make things more classic
  • it had do with the player fights: the one time staff seems willing to make an exception to the "keep it classic" rule is when keeping it classic would make life difficult for the staff (eg. the un-classic "AoEs only hit 25 mobs at once" change)

So maybe they did it to fix a mistake, or maybe they did it to save staff sanity, but I highly doubt it was just because it was popular. There are far too many examples of popular "wrong but classic" things like item recharging in the game that would have been removed if the staff only cared about nerfing what's popular.
The Both the pre-nerf XP and the nerf are classic. The research we did before it was implemented showed that it was meant to give the whopping XP and was nerfed in the July 24th patch. The sudden explosion of people doing it here served as a reminder that the nerf was overdue.

I don't recall seeing posts or threads where people were dragging Jarlen Meadowgreen to the zoneline and snaring him, however. Not that it wouldn't have been possible... but Verant/SOE likely would've done something about it even sooner.

From June to July of 2001 (pre-nerf) the quest should give ~half a yellow per turn in at level 12. Was it giving much more than this?
Old 07-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Kobold

I found out the other day that its not really nerfed you just need to find the right in keeper to give your breads to. but you would need a porter to get you there, I don't have gate yet so it really not doable for me yet so i will do the nk one till 12th as i would need port to Gfey and port to NK there you go I spilled the beans

https://www.twitch.tv/p99_dude

F@$k it, Dude, let's go bowling
Closed Thread