Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2016, 11:37 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Default Trying again!

Hey guys!

I have played on the server in the past but only for brief stints, playing around with different race/class combinations before eventually quitting because I felt like I couldn't play my one true love, ranger!

So I scraped together what I had off my old characters and got a set of banded hear and got to level 14 last night, going at a decent pace! My question is this, now that ranger soloing is somewhat viable with fear kiting and no xp penalty (thank you velious!) is there a guide or does anyone have any recommendations for great outdoor zones for fear kiting animals? I'm in the karanas atm but there is a lot of danger in those zones that you always have to be aware of.

Cheers!
Old 06-26-2016, 12:01 PM
Planar Protector

Full disclosure: never played a ranger.

If you are worried about adds when kiting, you need to just pull to a safe spot and don't always spam fear.... let fear break and let it chase you back towards the safe area you were fighting from the outset. The first fear rangers get is short lasting so you should not have too much of a problem with "over fearing".

The only other place that jumps out at me for that level range you get fear would be the mammoths out in everfrost.... kind of PITA to get out there and get back, though. But from what i recall there is a large level range of them out there and you can probably head out there the day you get your fear spell and stay until you are in your 30s.

the maybe off to OT? I dunno. there sure seems a ton of rhinos and other crap running along there and you can probably stay in that zone until maybe even up to 50ish.
Old 06-26-2016, 12:28 PM
Planar Protector

Ranger soloing was viable before... that said it is way better now! Fear kite as you mention, plus better bows are available.

You can probably stay in Karana till 50! Griffons/Rabid Griffons still good xp on my 48 ranger.

That said, Iceclad Ocean has some snow cougars that are worth killing. You can use your new fear kite abilities and get a couple of nice cougar claw earrings. After Snow Cougars you can do Dire Wolves if you aren't sick of fear kite.

Mammoths got a little nerfed, their spawns are less predictable now.

Rangers are a great class in classic content, so you should be welcome in any groups outside Kunark, and will do alright even in some of the lower mid end Kunark stuff (City of Mist).
Old 06-26-2016, 01:17 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Thanks for the responses!

I thought bow kiting was super slow compared to fear kiting? Is there any cheapish droppable bows from velious i should look out for? I know I gotta save for the Woodsmans' Staff too, some even mention another sword with a DoT proc, forget the name...

Since i'll be killing animals for the most part, do the pelts sell well? Need to make cash for these items somehow!
Old 06-26-2016, 01:54 PM
Planar Protector

Silver Swiftblade is probably the best purchase for you at this stage of your EQ life. ignore the nonsense about DW doing more damage and whatnot. I've seen them selling for next to nothing.
Old 06-26-2016, 02:29 PM
Fire Giant

i have a silver swiftblade that i have literally been unable to give away for the past few weeks. send a tell to metatroll or yiudar and it's yours. i'd take some snake eggs if you have em...
Old 06-26-2016, 02:54 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruger [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Thanks for the responses!

I thought bow kiting was super slow compared to fear kiting? Is there any cheapish droppable bows from velious i should look out for? I know I gotta save for the Woodsmans' Staff too, some even mention another sword with a DoT proc, forget the name...

Since i'll be killing animals for the most part, do the pelts sell well? Need to make cash for these items somehow!
Yes, bow kiting is much slower, but sometimes you'll get into fights you can't win by fear kiting or facetanking. Can't advise you on specific bows. Woodsmans' staff is great (but my ranger uses Wurmslayer and Lupine dagger instead for lolz). Perhaps the other sword you are thinking of is the swarmcaller (procs slow)?

Low quality pelts can be turned into leather padding (stackable and valuable to people raising smithing). MQ and HQ pelts are valuable to tailors, especially HQ bears (weight reducing hand made backpacks).
Old 06-26-2016, 04:06 PM
Aviak

A player by the forum name of Ivory has written a lot about bow kiting and bows in general.
Here's Ivory's thread: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=243942
And here's a follow up thread with discussion about bow DPS and viability by forum's user Cecily with help from Ivory: http://www.project1999.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245562
Both threads are good reads and they made me consider a ranger because it sounds like a fun play style.
Old 06-26-2016, 04:32 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Yeah, I just got myself one super cheap yesterday, I thought that it has no or next to no damage bonus as you level up though?

I'll take a read at those threads, love stats and math breakdowns!
Old 06-26-2016, 07:04 PM
Decaying Skeleton

A great place to fear kite would be South Karana. Almost no KoS mobs, other than the occasional gnoll and cyclops. The elephant calves would be a good start, working your way up to bull elephants.
Closed Thread