Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Starting Zone

Closed Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
Sarnak

Default Wizard Race - New Player

Hey gang!

Making my 7th return to the P99 server for another alt [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] I'm gonna play Wizard.

Wanted to see if anyone know if race mattered much for this class? Will I be sad if I hit 60 as a race other than Erudite / High Elf? Which race benefits the most from race specific quests / armor? faction?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:23 PM
Fire Giant

Speaking as a human wizard, eye patch/handlebars or go home.

In all seriousness though, every race has its advantages, and the min-max choice isn't as clear as it would be for some other classes (though you could certainly narrow it down to a few). There also aren't any make-or-break quests/drop-ables for wizards for one race over another, or at least not that i've seen. Imbued Platinum Fire rings are nice for Sol Ro worshippers, but I think (not sure) every race can choose Sol Ro for wizards - this comes with some extra negative faction in some places though. For example, an agnostic DE wizard starts dubious in freeport while a Sol Ro DE wizards starts off KoS.

Here's a general breakdown of some of the major pluses and minuses:

Erudite: Highest starting Int, but since you'll need 5 points in agility it's really only a 3 or 4 point advantage (i.e. practically nothing) over Dark Elf/Gnome. Shit strength for carrying stuff.

Dark Elf: Second highest starting Int, otherwise roughly the same stats as gnome. You get hide, which can be nice for going afk, but otherwise isn't too useful for a wizard since you don't charm kite and you get invis.

Gnome: Third highest starting Int (only 1 point different from DE), otherwise about the same stats. You get tinkering as a fun tradeskill that can eventually make some profitable items (including rebreathers, which would be useful since wizards don't get an enduring breath spell). You're the only small size wizard, allowing you to make jokes about dangerous things in small packages etc etc (please don't). You also are able to peak through walls with camera angle tricks, or so i've heard, which is handy for navigating dungeons and banking in some places where you might have ruined your faction for one reason or another.

High Elf: Next highest int, still not far behind the others. God-awful strength for carrying stuff early on, which can be annoying at times. Starting area near major lowbie hubs (CB, Unrest, etc) for convenience.

Human: Lowest starting intelligence, by a lot (about 20 points behind the others on average). This means you will need slightly better gear than your Gnome or DE counterpart before being able to quad a set of mobs with a given health total if you're running out of mana from full. However, the difference is not gigantic, especially if you have enough gear to get into the 200+ range. For example, at the moment my -20 int hit for being human costs me about 80 mana since i'm over my 200 soft cap. One quad spell costs 330ish mana. That 80 mana wouldn't be enough to get another quad in (unless I was already close to the threshold), but it would be enough to cast gate or root, which could mean living instead of dying. On the plus side, you get to be an extra special snowflake with a bad ass mustache or eye patch. You also get significantly higher starting strength, so you can strut around your Erudite/High Elf friends carrying 5 extra backpacks and bench pressing ogres while melee-ing between nukes (only recommend this for professional battle wizards). 15-20 strength may not seem like a lot, but if you're quadding mobs (like kelethin guards) that drop fine steel/long swords and stuffing them into 70% wr bags because you can't afford tink bags, that extra strength translates into 2-3 extra quads before needing to port back to sell, which saves a lot of time.

In short, it doesn't really matter aside from personal preference. But don't go human unless you can live with seeing a lower number next to your int score and reconcile the fact that it doesn't make a big difference.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Last edited by Shodo; 06-28-2016 at 03:26 PM.. Reason: Forgot a thought.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:33 PM
Sarnak

Thanks for the tips!

Where do you suggest I put my points into as a gnome?
Old 06-28-2016, 03:41 PM
Fire Giant

25 int 5 sta is the standard I believe. I do 5 str personally just because I notice the annoyance of not having it way more than I would notice the extra 10hp 5 sta will at at level 60 (much less the 1hp it will give you at level 1). Definitely 25 in Int though, regardless of where you put the other 5, unless you have reason to believe your int will be capped early on due to major twinkage.
Maamdak Battlebeard - 48 Dwarf Rogue
Crunkasaurus Rex - 49 Ogre Shaman
Mendak - 51 Halfling Druid (Green)

<Paradox> RIP
Old 06-28-2016, 04:15 PM
Fire Giant

More important, religion.

Either go agnostic to not be kos to more factions or Solusek Ro so you can take advantage of an uber player made ring that's cheap.

http://wiki.project1999.com/Imbued_Platinum_Fire_Ring
Old 06-28-2016, 05:42 PM
Planar Protector

I would suggest not playing Wizard if you are playing on Blue server. It's really quite pointless.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:47 PM
Planar Protector

Obviously you need to pick a gnome.

First off, gnomes are awesome...they are gnomes.

Second, gnomes can see through walls!! And fit through gates without opening them!!! Or even get into the hole without a key!!!!!!

Third, gnomes are from Ak'anon....probably the greatest city in all of Norrath (did you know it was home to a dragon once? But now it is home to the gnomes!!!).

Fourth, gnomes are part of a secret cabal plotting to take over the world. Most other races don't realize this, but ever wonder why gnomes are in Velious and in Sol A? .....No? Good! Cuz it's none of your business unless you are a gnome!!!!!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:18 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Great on red though.
I wouldn't say "great". They are better on Red for a variety of reasons, but in terms of combat in this Velious age it's still an underwhelming life against anyone who is geared. Resists, HP pools, and melee damage all increased with Velious, plus healer capability. All a Wizard can do against anyone who is geared is use Lure. The amount of damage that puts out is inferior to melee damage, it's not sustainable, and you as a Wizard are far squishier on top of it all.
Old 06-28-2016, 06:19 PM
Planar Protector

Human, following Erollisi Marr... You are an agent of love, ending the pitiful lives of hateful creatures, freeing them and those they prey upon from suffering.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Sarnak

After creating a wizard (Etrys) and getting him to level 2! You guys are making me second guess my decision to be a wiz during Velious era.

I'm looking for a mindless class that's needed and underpopulated [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] Are rogues overpopulated? rangers? What's useful in velious that's not a cleric/enchanter and I don't need a brain for?
Closed Thread