Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Green Community > Green Server Chat

View Poll Results: Should Rogean use a classic UI?
Yes 35 68.63%
No 16 31.37%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2019, 09:28 AM
Sarnak

Default Classic-esque UI options are available. Should Rogean do it?

These are all available on EQinterface and work.

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
OR
OR
Old 09-22-2019, 09:30 AM
Planar Protector

Not one of those looks even remotely classic.

Danth
Old 09-22-2019, 09:36 AM
Planar Protector

I would love this if it was forced. Love love love! This. But you have to be able to swap between this and velious. That is classic mechanics.

The black screen is like a first pass version of one of these anyway heh what I think is this is better than black screen. Although you have to have a spell book that would fill up that whole area lol so maybe that would be insanely dumb looking idk

IDK That bottom one looks so good IMO and I think it looks very "remotely" classic. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

As someone who loves old games but not bad play control, I would prefer this to official classic 6 buttons and 640x480 forced UI but hey I'm cool with no pet windows and for others that's where they draw the line, but this, this is where I would draw the line, personally. It's the perfect hybrid of classic feel, and modern controls, without giving the player too much power. That said I'd want the giant spell book for 1-35 in there [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Last edited by Jibartik; 09-22-2019 at 09:42 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 09:41 AM
Sarnak

There is really no true way to get classic UI unless someone has an original disk laying around and wants to rip the .xml files for an .xml guru to pour hours of time into. These are ready to go working UIs available now.
Old 09-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibartik [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
-=IDK That bottom one looks so good IMO
I disagree. To me it looks like some person's fuzzy, partially-remembered interpretation of the original. Look at those spell icons! There's no character "mirror", elements are sized incorrectly (or shouldn't exist at all)...it's sort of vaguely classic-ish but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind the original interface, but only if it's really the original. Those things--ain't.

Danth
Old 09-22-2019, 09:47 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree. To me it looks like some person's fuzzy, partially-remembered interpretation of the original. Look at those spell icons! There's no character "mirror", elements are sized incorrectly (or shouldn't exist at all)...it's sort of vaguely classic-ish but that's about it.

I wouldn't mind the original interface, but only if it's really the original. Those things--ain't.

Danth
yeah those spell icons got to go of course lol

But like, seriously would you like the original interface if it was 640x480 on your big ass 4k monitor? this little gameboy screen? Am I going to have to go buy an old monitor to play eq on waitaminuet.. (opens ebay tab)

but seriously, eventually we're going to have to admit there are lines to be drawn and some creativity is going to be needed. Right? I mean 1 chat window? Are we prepared for that?

That said, Im willing to go all the way with you guys just hold my hand [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 09-22-2019, 09:52 AM
Planar Protector

I don't have a 4K monitor (what's the point, my middle-aged 20/40-at-best vision isn't good enough to gain any advantage from HD anyway). Don't those monitors allow force-scaling of smaller resolutions to utilize the entire screen? My present monitor does that on older games like Age of Empires II that run in limited resolution. I still enjoy that game just fine. 1999 was a good year for gaming.

Also, see my note in the other thread, but the original velious UI does actually function more or less normally on modern monitors, as a quirk of how it was coded (no way it was deliberate). We've seen no indication of the original "periscope window" UI being simulated for "green," only the Velious UI, so it seems that's the "line" being drawn. That's good enough.

---------------------------------------

EDIT: I still have an original, circa 1990-ish game boy in perfectly function condition. It sat in the bottom of my dresser drawer for many years. I take it out from time to time. The screen's a little harder to see than I recall from thirty years ago, and the games are easier than in memory, but its still plenty usable. The daughter likes it, although she likes her modern tablet (with minecraft, of course) considerably more. Going back further, my first video game system was a mid 70's-era PONG clone in all its black and white, beep-beep sounds, glory. Atari VCS (later known as the 2600) was a considerable upgrade, then later the NES felt like it changed the world. Much later I only got into EQ because it was a game the wife and I could both play well, as opposed to flightsims/etc where she couldn't acclimate to. Point being: I can tolerate a lot [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

Danth
Last edited by Danth; 09-22-2019 at 10:12 AM..
Old 09-22-2019, 09:58 AM
Sarnak

I am curious if we're going to be forced to use velious UI or if the default_old will be available? I hope we have a third options along the lines above.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM
Planar Protector

This is what I would like would be for instead of a black window it changes UI mode to this:

The controls I remember/had were:

E was set to change UI from: 1. That UI 2. The current Green UI bars 3. No UI and it would cycle through those.

F was set to swap camera mode: 1. outside camera view one 2. outside camera view two 3. Other camera etc etc (there were like 4 or 5) ( really dont remember the order)

But there was no mousewheel cam view, but there were all those other camera position views (maybe not the one above that you could look down and up with?)

But yeah, that's hopefully the destination. I'd love when you meditate, for it to swap to that UI with the closed spell book. And then when you turn off meditate, it swaps back to your previous set UI (which is how I remember it working on live in 1999)

I love mousewheel but I also used to tap F constantly and it did the job just fine.

But if it were up to me it'd be the UI that I shared above and 10 hot buttons, mousewheel and parascope cam modes available but that's my custom content server that doesnt exist.

But the classic stuff, yeah I hope we get those modes here.
Old 09-22-2019, 10:17 AM
Planar Protector

Interestingly, the mostly black screen with a smallish spellbook in the middle is also what happens on the genuine (trilogy) Velious client when you meditate. That's because the spellbook itself does not scale with resolution. There have been in the past some people who would've liked to see P99 move to the Trilogy client, but it seems like it's getting there the other way 'round.

Danth
Closed Thread