Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

View Poll Results: You have been selected for additional screening.
This flimsy mask will surely protect me. 44 20.66%
I have or wish to have the Coronavirus. 24 11.27%
I have some other virus; HIV or maybe viral Meningitis. 7 3.29%
I am already dead. 67 31.46%
On my way to Vegas, Randall Flagg is calling. 32 15.02%
Mossad agents are dancing again. 39 18.31%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 05:56 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Domo [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
This is not a political topic.
Sure is! You can read back the previous 140 pages or just take my assurance.

Quote:
I understand that you are worried about your job and money you're losing right now,
Roleplay out this scenario for me:

You are in charge (and also feel like you're in charge). You can introduce measures to prolong the lockdown which an expert tells you is going to save 100,000 lives. Another expert tells you that as a result, the unemployment rate will go up 12%. A third expert opines that for every 1% rise in unemployment, we can trace an additional 6000 suicides and the resulting inability to pay for medical procedures will result in another 14,000 people dying. The lack of money will also result in a worse diet, leading to a long-term rise mortality rate, which will have to be amortized over time, but whose exact numbers will be unknown until much later. All that unemployment is also going to fuel a crime rate increase which will kill a certain number of citizens and incarcerate others. A fourth expert tells you all those previous figures are subject to a 30% variance because those other guys are dumb.

Different classes of people will be affected by your decision differently. You decision will certainly be seen as political. Do you go for the best short-term outcome and destroy a country for decades or do you take the initial hit and power through the succeeding waves in order to have a better future for the next two generations? How many people do you kill, and who do you kill?
Old 04-22-2020, 10:43 AM
Planar Protector

[You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2020, 10:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Virus got my buddy's dad. Sad day.
Sorry to hear that pal. We lost a member of our congregation a few weeks ago, she was old and had other health issues, but still, made it more real [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2020, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I understand you're not from america and I respect that. I never stated america in anything I said. Your dislike for trump has nothing to do with this topic.

The fact is people have recovered,.. Keeping healthy people at home is a dictatorship.

BUT BUT BUT BALER the public health responsibility we have!!!
I'm not saying we throw caution to the wind and not test temperatures/Simptom,. or deliver contaminated goods to elderly people.

But to keep healthy people at home is destroying the world economy, not just a single country.

They won't care, because its Orange Man Bad, and Mericans Bad, until the effects of famine and permanent dietary shifts settle in. Merica feeds the world, and Merica is currently undergoing fundamental erosion in the food production supply chain right now.

Stay tuned.
Old 04-22-2020, 11:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baler [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Starving to death vs getting antibodies from an illness.

You measure which matters more/

People are brainwashed into the coronavirus now.. I was causing a fuss when it wasn't even on the radar and NO ONE listened to me. But now that people are "educated" they think they know what's best... Making fun of hard working people is not fun nor a joke.

Literally every R-tard online right now is making fun of people who go out in public without a mask that want to work.

Watch the opening ceremony for the 2012 olympics in London, again.

Its opens with a fast forward shift from agrarian times to the beginning of the industrial revolution, then progresses into the technological era, which quickly manifests into empty stadium seats, filled with hospital beds, viral minions erupting from a tunnel beneath a 5G tower, and Boris Johnson confined to a hospital bed. It makes references to the second star on the right (peter pan wistfully sleeping life away in neverland) and holographic projection is utilized to turn the entire stadium into a holographic coronavirus.

Seems eerily foretelling of a plandemic. Of note, the character of Boris Johnson in the hospital bed, before a large team of nannys reprresenting the nanny state descending upon the children in their hospital beds predates the actual election of Boris Johnson by 3 years.

Election, indeed.

Long live the queen
Last edited by Gwaihir; 04-22-2020 at 11:25 AM..
Old 04-22-2020, 11:23 AM
Planar Protector

I mean...tough times call for tough choices. One big problem with this virus is we just don't know a lot about it. We might get some studies that get published with some factoid that it lives on surfaces for 2 hours, then 8 hours, then 14 days, but again we're in the early stages of gathering knowledge on this disease. Most diseases we've had years to study them in the medical community. But people like to know things, so when a study comes out people in the media often parade it as fact, when we all know we can get biased studies out that say a lot of things. Some people can really abuse their "authority" and present themselves as somehow knowing more than other people.

Example, back in early March someone I know who is a nurse tried to tell me that covid was "nothing to worry about" and that I should really be concerned about measles coming back (measles is a scary as fuck disease though, we just happen to have like a vaccine for it.) "It (covid) can't live outside a human host for more than 2 hours." Right as she was telling me this I couldn't help but think that there's no way she could know this shit, the disease is too new for anyone to be certain of this crap, but her family and friends probably trust all that she says as fact because she's in the medical field.

As far as policy goes, this not knowing is really daunting. We can't even get politicians to agree on things when they know the consequences of the policies they're trying to enact. Most people probably agree that the virus is more contagious and less lethal than the reported case death rates, but the magnitudes of which are still unknown. Even so, what are we up to 45,000 dead (USA) even with all the social distancing, most schools canceled, almost no one flying, large gatherings canceled, people washing hands like crazy and wearing masks. We don't even know how long previous people who have been infected will have sufficient antibodies to fight off a future infection, so maybe herd immunity might not be a great strategy. Maybe this will be a new seasonal flu type thing trying to guess what the right strands are.

Back to Blackbellamy's previous post, it's kind of like that but even those scenarios proposed are only possible scenarios. 100,000 dead, but is that with or without social distancing? Without mass gatherings? The unemployment one, did they attempt to isolate if that was the case with what may possibly only be temporary unemployment? I mean the only 20/20 vision we have is looking back, and we'll probably get some decent control groups (like Brazil) to see how the responses to this virus fared versus others.

There's so many different variables here to work through it's tough, the biggest one is people. Some people look at this virus and think "well if there's no one telling me I can't do things it's probably fine." For example when the social distancing guidelines came out without the orders, many parks were crowded as all hell. But then those same people when mandated to stay home might think "fuck this bullshit you can't tell me what to do, this is America."

Honestly I'm no epidemiologist or any kind of expert, but my opinion on what was going to happen in the states was that 1) the spread wouldn't be quite as explosive as in Italy due to a younger age, people more spread out, not as many smokers, not as touchy feely culture, and we banned large gatherings about the same time as them so earlier in the spread relatively speaking. I do think it will be more prolonged though, due to it reaching places a little slower, minimal social safety net for people losing jobs, people not wanting to go to the hospital because of the exorbitant costs, doctors and nurses getting laid off, people over their heads in debt, and a good chunk of the population just won't want to listen to extended social distancing guidelines or orders.
Old 04-22-2020, 12:09 PM
Planar Protector

denial
anger
bargaining
depression
acceptance

in that order. fascinatingly ppl incl me are documenting the journey in this one thread
Old 04-22-2020, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Virus got my buddy's dad. Sad day.
witnessed. sorry. [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Planar Protector

The five stages of grief can actually occur in any order, and not every stage might occur in some individuals.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:34 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Watch the opening ceremony for the 2012 olympics in London, again.

Its opens with a fast forward shift from agrarian times to the beginning of the industrial revolution, then progresses into the technological era, which quickly manifests into empty stadium seats, filled with hospital beds, viral minions erupting from a tunnel beneath a 5G tower, and Boris Johnson confined to a hospital bed. It makes references to the second star on the right (peter pan wistfully sleeping life away in neverland) and holographic projection is utilized to turn the entire stadium into a holographic coronavirus.

Seems eerily foretelling of a plandemic. Of note, the character of Boris Johnson in the hospital bed, before a large team of nannys reprresenting the nanny state descending upon the children in their hospital beds predates the actual election of Boris Johnson by 3 years.

Election, indeed.

Long live the queen
PM BJ was mayor of London at that point.
Closed Thread