Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Melee

Closed Thread

Old 11-30-2014, 06:20 AM
Sarnak

Default Ranger Twink Advice

So, after leveling an Enchanter to 60 about a year ago, quitting for 6 months, and coming back recently, I stripped the gear off my Enchanter to level a Magician to 30, and a Necro to 30. And, eh, wasn't really enjoying it as much as I thought I would.

When the servers are back up, I'll be twinking a Ranger with all of the funds I've been able to scrounge up selling all my caster crap. I intend to make this Ranger a Wood Elf, what would you put your starting stats into?

This is what I've come up with so far. Items highlighted in green have already been acquired. Any input is greatly appreciated.

---

Ears - Black Sapphire Electrum Earrings X2 / Diamondine Earrings X2? / Forest Loops X2?
Fingers - Platinum Fire Wedding Rings X2
Neck - Black Sapphire Platinum Necklace
Head - Sebilite Scale Cap / Executioner's Hood
Face - Mask of Wurms
Chest - Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate / Tree Weave / Ivy Etched Tunic / Sebilite Scale Coat
Arms - Sebilite Scale Vambraces
Back - Hooded Black Cloak
Waist - Sash of the Dragonborn
Shoulders - Sebilite Scale Mantle
Wrists - Hardened Clay Bracelet / Hero Bracer
Legs - Sebilite Scale Leggings
Hands - Gauntlets of Potence
Feet - Dwarven Work Boots
Primary - Silver Swiftblade until 20 >>> Woodsman's Staff
Secondary - N/A
Range - Rain Caller
Last edited by Nisei; 11-30-2014 at 07:02 AM..
Old 11-30-2014, 09:18 AM
Sarnak

Honestly? Throw some +HP rings on, equip a decent 1h weapon (such as GJB, sword of skyfire, etc.), and either fungi / ceremonial iksar, and you're good to go until 50ish.
Pick up haste when you can, and that's about it.

I wouldn't worry too much about a top-line bow - it's mostly just for pulling until 51, at which point it suddenly becomes reasonable damage.

As for sebilite scale - depending on how close Velious is to releasing, I'd either stick with that or farm up some ry'gorr chain (which is awesome twink armour).

Happy hunting.
Old 11-30-2014, 12:53 PM
Sarnak

I can't afford a Fungi, and my intention is to have the best possible gear with the amount of plat that I have. I want to stretch out this plat as far as it can go, as this will be my new main.

I was thinking about selling the Ceremonial Iksar Chestplate around level 20-25, and selling Sash of the Dragonborn to buy an RBG.
Last edited by Nisei; 11-30-2014 at 03:56 PM..
Old 11-30-2014, 05:15 PM
Sarnak

Just scoped out your gear list. you've got it down pat. for head slot you might consider the hammer head helmet from kedge. I would do the diamondine earrings.

As for starting stats, STR is really clinch during those low lvls. dex is cool but you wont be using much proc weaponry or bowing that it makes much diff. I'd honestly say go stamina, the extra HP is going to be good for solo, youll have 200+str with that set anyway. and the stamina is nice later too.

Don't knock a pair of jboots on a ranger if you plan to solo until 39. or stock up on sow potions.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Sarnak

if youre going to buy anything for over 40k get the tolans BP and have the ability to port from lvl 45+
Old 11-30-2014, 07:15 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost182 [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
if youre going to buy anything for over 40k get the tolans BP and have the ability to port from lvl 45+
I'll probably pick one up in my 50s when I get bored and sell Quillmane cloak loot rights.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:58 PM
Planar Protector

i strongly recommend not playing a ranger. Maybe a bard instead. I quit after spending 300k on a ranger twink, just came back and sold all his gear. ranger is incredibly boring and not particularly fun seeing or doing anything.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i strongly recommend not playing a ranger. Maybe a bard instead. I quit after spending 300k on a ranger twink, just came back and sold all his gear. ranger is incredibly boring and not particularly fun seeing or doing anything.
Not interested in playing a Bard, I already leveled one on Live.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:29 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingme [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Funny, I strongly recommend playing a ranger. Especially in the Velious era.

Call of ___ line of spells boost your dps even higher than it already is; Call of the Predator is an awesome self/group/raid spell, boosting +ATK; Cinder Jolt finally giving them a reliable means of aggro reduction (regular Jolt sucks); panic animal allows for fear kiting of animals, allowing Rangers to solo places others wouldn't dream of (i.e. WW); Weaponshield giving you a nice invulnerability - generally long enough for a tank to regain aggro without you dying; and the nice ratio bows (i.e. 33/35) combined with Trueshot discipline adds up to 2 minutes of pure, unadulterated, slaughter.

Added on to the already amazing lineup of abilities and spells, such as SoW, camo, tracking, snare, root, lull, sneak, slow (via Earthcall from epic), regen (chloroplast)....yeah, Rangers are in their prime in Velious. And to make it even sweeter, the hybrid xp penalty should be going away in this era.
Old 12-01-2014, 03:35 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaramis [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
slow (via Earthcall from epic)
Don't forget [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.] for the rest of us scrubs.
Last edited by Nisei; 12-01-2014 at 03:38 PM..
Closed Thread