Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Priests

Closed Thread

Old 03-25-2021, 09:57 PM
Sarnak

Question Server tick questions for Canni & Regen

Hey everyone, I am unsure on which tick I should stand and start a cast once meditate kicks in. Here is what I see in steps as an example:

1.) A "tick" begins at lets say 350 mana or hp for green server
2.) In 6 seconds the next "tick" occurs and this amount rises to 364
3.) A second later the amount drops to 359 and stays there until the cycle repeats.

At which point is a tick considered complete? I would imagine it would be step 2, but while casting the amount drops.

Is the meditate/sit regen based on the 2nd or 3rd step in the example above?

Thanks for any input or insight!
Old 03-26-2021, 12:57 PM
Scrawny Gnoll

Its kinda hard to explain, but when it comes to canni dancing you have the server tick, but you also have the client tick. The point where you see you mana "back tick" from 364 to 359 is the client tick.

The server tick is easy to find, you sit and wait for your mana to tick up.Then you have the client tick...

The client ticks usually doesn't line up with the server tick, if you're trying to dance and you aren't sitting during the client tick, you won't get the full amount from Canni. On my shaman if I'm not sitting during the client tick I only get 2% mana gain per tick, while if I am sitting during both the server tick and client tick then I get 3% mana.

The problem with the client tick is that it tends to "move around". Sometimes the client tick happens just before the server tick, sometimes the client tick happens right in the middle between server ticks.

If I don't know where the client tick is, then I cast canni right after the server tick and see what my mana gain is for the tick, if I get 3% then everything is great. If I only get 2% then I try casting Canni 2 seconds before the server tick to see if I get the 3% mana gain. Its something you have to play around with and you will get a feel for it. As far as the 2-3% mana gains.. YMMV, depending on your mana pool.
Last edited by Falditin; 03-26-2021 at 01:14 PM..
Old 03-26-2021, 01:38 PM
Planar Protector

As soon as you see your mana go up (not from cannibalize), that is the server tick. When I used to canni dance, I danced every other server tick. It is difficult to do it every server tick, as the mana gains from canni can happen very close to the sever tick, or happen on top of it. Doing it every other server tick allows your mana to settle, so it is easy to see the next server tick.
Old 03-27-2021, 06:48 AM
Sarnak

i believe client tick is irrelevant to the amount of actual mana you can use (this is noticeable when trying to cast a X mana cost spell, while your client shows your mana is at X+1 = the cast fails)
Old 03-27-2021, 05:48 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
i believe client tick is irrelevant to the amount of actual mana you can use (this is noticeable when trying to cast a X mana cost spell, while your client shows your mana is at X+1 = the cast fails)
Yes, Everquest is a server authoritative game. This means all the data you send to the server gets checked by the server first to make sure it is valid. If you tell the server you want to cast a spell, and the server sees your mana isn't sufficient, the cast will not go off.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:55 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashedd [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Just from observation of playing, which I'm not sure of the mechanics as to why..

But lets say the server tick starts at 0 seconds, the client tick is at 4 seconds then the next server tick is at 6 seconds.

You get the server med tick at 0 seconds then you stand up and cast canni which you are standing during the client tick at 4 seconds. The client tick sees that you aren't sitting and back ticks your mana given from the server tick at 0 seconds

Just as a side note, druids who med and scoot during a quad, if they only sit for the server tick and not the client tick, they lose the mana gained from the server tick. I could make a fraps video of showing this happening for days..

Back to the point, if you are casting canni during during the client tick at 4 seconds you lose the mana gained at 0 second mark. The next server tick at 6 seconds, everything normalizes like Shamwow stated and you will get all of the mana you lost back. If you do this you can only canni dance every other med cycle.

For the most part this is fine, you can only canni for so long, but if you need to get mana back quickly and/or have a bard with regen song going you will miss a lot of potential mana from only canni dancing every other cycle.
Closed Thread