Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 10:19 AM
Sarnak

Default Are AE groups 50+ still a thing?

I remember being involved in some AE groups several years ago, we'd pull Chardok for instance. Does this still happen? Is it viable?

If it still is, I have a 54 Chanter I'd like to try and set some AE groups up for if anybody would be interested in grinding out some levels and less importantly some loot.

Thanks!
Powerful 51 Iksar Monk
Last edited by Lickum; 03-19-2019 at 10:19 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-19-2019, 10:20 AM
Planar Protector

Some people still try it in KC
Old 03-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legidias [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Some people still try it in KC
Try? Did a mechanic change?

Also, only KC? Is there a reason?

I appreciate you educating me, I've been gone since about 2011.
Powerful 51 Iksar Monk
Old 03-19-2019, 10:35 AM
Kobold

After a change 2-3 years ago, PBAE spells (including stuns) only land on up to 25 mobs at at time. You'll see people doing AE in velk's and dragon necropolis, too.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:48 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiogenesThaDogg [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
After a change 2-3 years ago, PBAE spells (including stuns) only land on up to 25 mobs at at time. You'll see people doing AE in velk's and dragon necropolis, too.
Ah, a limit on the mobs, still doesn't sound too bad, 25 is a lot of mobs.

I'm currently level 54 (almost 55), does this put me in level range of doing these AE groups in DN? I'm sure I remember Velks being appropriate level for me.
Powerful 51 Iksar Monk
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Kobold

It's usually bards kiting DN for themselves or for PL or guild AE groups; I haven't seen a pickup AE group in DN before. If it's a group, it's bards kiting mobs in circles snared while others AE and AE stuns aren't as essential as they used to be. That's not to say you couldn't find people willing to do it, of course.
Last edited by DiogenesThaDogg; 03-19-2019 at 11:06 AM..
Old 03-19-2019, 11:02 AM
Planar Protector

That type of AE is usually bard AE kiting. Geneally thats the focus now isntead of wiz / ench blasting AE.
Old 03-19-2019, 11:17 AM
Planar Protector

I think the problem is that there's no clear and obvious place to do it anymore ... ie. there's no more Chardok (thankfully). As you pointed out, killing 25 mobs at once can still net a group a lot of XP, but there are issues:
  • you have to find somewhere that's out of the way (if your pulls mess with other people you will get in trouble for zone disruption)
  • wherever you go has to let you control your number of mobs (no more just running through the zone grabbing everything: if you pull even 30 mobs by accident then that's 5 mobs beating on your group which aren't being stunned by your Enchanter, and that won't end well)
  • you have to avoid problematic mobs (eg. ones that snare your puller)

I would imagine there are places that match the above criteria out there: after all, on live people AoEd plenty of non-Chardok places (eg. a friend of mine did late night Sebilis AoE groups during the Kunark era) ... but finding them would require some exploration and experimentation, which means bringing your own group. Also the rewards of doing all that aren't all that great compared to a standard group (as great as it is to kill 25 mobs at once, there's huge downtime in-between) ... so mainly it just seems to me like a good idea if you and your IRL friends happen to be a Cleric, Enchanter, puller, and three Druids/Wizards, and are looking for a fun and different way to level up.

Loramin Frostseer, Oracle of the Tribunal <Anonymous> and Fan of the "Where To Go For XP/For Treasure?" Guides
Anyone can improve the wiki! If you are new to the Blue server, you can improve the wiki to earn a "welcome package" of up to 2k+ platinum! Message me for details.
Old 03-19-2019, 02:18 PM
Planar Protector

I bet you could still AoE in Seb. I'm surprised I don't see it done as often. ABC or Disco strike me as great camps to pull 25 mobs and not interrupt other ppls camps.

Kellian Cove (60 Wood Elf Rogue)
Parra Doxx (55 Barbarian Shaman)

“This man is using his mind as a weapon …and woe be tide the creature who
steps into his garden" -Finch

Old 03-19-2019, 02:50 PM
Planar Protector

Classically Seb was the first place I did any AE groups. Cleric bard enchanterx2 wizardx2.

Cleric starts around NG pull area, DAs and aggros everything down into D1 pulling the train into frenzy scarab room. Second pull is all of behind disco1 pulled onto the stage of disco2.

Could swap out bard for another enchanter as well.