Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 09:27 AM
Aviak

Default How Taunt Works

I was just wondering if anyone knows the specific mechanics on how taunt functions.

Back when I played classic, I never played a tank, therefor, I was always under the assumption that taunt was just a means for building aggro.

However, recently, I have been told that taunt simply resets a mobs aggro and sets the taunter to +1 above everyone else.

With this latter information in mind, wouldn't that mean a tank would only taunt when they lose aggro? I had always believed that taunt was spammed to keep aggro high...

I don't have a tank still... but really curious about the matter.

Xegony:
Saezuru Matsudai - 65 Wood Elf Bard

Old 06-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

Taunt does indeed move the user's position on the hate list to the very top +1. Just make sure to plow all of your high-threat/high-damage abilities into the boss AFTER you hit taunt, not before. This will allow you to extend the threat buffer you have between you and your party. If you unload all of those abilities BEFORE you hit taunt, it's possible that you've wasted a big opportunity to generate threat by following it with a taunt that merely puts you at PARTY+1, rather than PARTY+1+ABILITIES.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Fire Giant

taunt puts you on #1 of the hatelist..
hatelist:
1. Test1 has 1500
2. Warrior has 5
-> successful taunt:
1. Warrior has 1501
2. Test1 has 1500

taunt works on mobs which are lower level than you == blue/lightblue or green con
and it doesnt have a fail message
thats about it with taunt

[50 Warrior] Rumzuck Umbatsch (Ogre) <Remedy>
[34 Druid] Vito Corleone (Wood Elf) <Europa>
[35 Necromancer] Torak (Dark Elf) <Europa>
[13 Shadow Knight] Rumzerg (Dark Elf) <Europa>

EQEmuLauncher
Have your files up to date, switch between servers nice and easy, and more!
http://moestaverne.com/

Old 06-17-2010, 09:52 AM
Kobold

If Taunt only worked on mobs lower level than you, how we're tank switches possible? Not that I'm saying I know you're wrong, it just seems that couldn't be the case.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If Taunt only worked on mobs lower level than you, how we're tank switches possible? Not that I'm saying I know you're wrong, it just seems that couldn't be the case.
He is talking at this era in the game... They revamped taunt march 6, 2001 they patched it:
-- Level 60 players with the taunt skill will now have a chance to
taunt creatures that are level 60 to 65. Previously, players could only
taunt creatures below their level.

Then AE taunt was added in luclin with AA points, and it allowed a no-fail(not 100% sure of that) way to get taunt from a mob.
Old 06-17-2010, 10:19 AM
Planar Protector

Tank switches came in for velious i think.

The way i assumed taunt worked was that it could still work on even and higher cons, but just failed a lot more. Usually with tank switching the other tank would start building aggro whilst the other tank's defensive was winding down, when it wound down either the mob would switch to the new tank via taunt, or the current tank would die and the new tank would be the mobs next target based on the aggro list.

But yeah, spamming taunt doesn't seem to be the way to go, taunt to get aggro, bash , kick or w/e afterwards.

I enchant things...
Old 06-17-2010, 10:21 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spirell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Then AE taunt was added in luclin with AA points, and it allowed a no-fail(not 100% sure of that) way to get taunt from a mob.
Yep, AE taunt was instant no fail aggro on all mobs in the vicinity. had a 15 min reuse iirc. It was a very useful ability.

I enchant things...
Old 06-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Kobold

So then with the version of the game we have, Taunt can work against any level mob or no?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:03 AM
Sarnak

Send a message via ICQ to Qaedain Send a message via AIM to Qaedain Send a message via MSN to Qaedain

Taunt only works on mobs that are lower level on P99.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:28 AM
Kobold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogwell [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
So then with the version of the game we have, Taunt can work against any level mob or no?
When the timeline hits march 6, 2001, I imagine the devs will change the code on Taunt... but since they are trying to be true to classic, right now taunt only works on lower level mobs.

Velious went live December 6, 2000, so about 4 months after velious releases if they are being 100% accurate.
Closed Thread