Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:41 PM
Banned

Default Just a FYI re Knight starting stats since this comes up frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
It's the same idiots that argue putting all points in to stm on Knights is the way foward.

Yah...that extra 80hp (aka less that 1 hit at 60 vrs general mobs) is going to help over the extra 200+ mana.

3880hp, 2300 mana knight vrs 3800hp, 2500 mana who you think got more wiggleroom?

Hint:
The one extra:
Increase Hitpoints v2 by 175 per tick x4 times (Paladin)
Decrease Hitpoints by 332 (L49) to 338 (L50) (Shadowknight)

Edit: Factor in that STR and STM are the easiest stats to get over or close to the 200 mark without buffs for knights too
Old 01-30-2019, 07:06 PM
Planar Protector

My 58 paladin could use a bit more mana than he could use a bit more hp.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-30-2019, 08:02 PM
Planar Protector

So yeah, for a knight's job I'd argue wis vs intelligence **could be a better stat investment than stamina.

**you have sufficient med time or mana regen to use the extra.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/s...43&postcount=2

Old 01-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Fire Giant

So does this mean erudite is the master race for a sk?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:14 PM
Planar Protector

Except wis/int are dependent on numerous factors and stamina is not. If you experience lag or go linkdead, all that mana means nothing. If you get blinded, bash stunned or push interrupted, same difference. If you're hauling ass to the zoneline as a paladin, the only spell you'll have time to stop and cast is divine aura which costs all of 10 mana. For a shadow knight, the obvious choice is to feign death which is 60 mana.

In terms of min/max, there are more returns from int/wis than sta, but those returns mean nothing if you're dead. Also, if you have C2 than your mana bar isn't going to be empty really ever. With multiple FT items on at all times, the argument starts falling apart as well.

Admittedly, there have been times when I wished I put more, if not all points into int/wis, but there have also been times when I've survived with less than 60hp to spare.

Threads like these are proof that another BotB needs to occur at some point, not that pvp is a good indicator of pve skill. But the knights who win probably will be ones who put all of their starting points into agility, charisma, or dexterity but have a crown of narandi, deepwater bp, flowers, etc.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-30-2019 at 10:19 PM..
Old 01-31-2019, 02:15 AM
Planar Protector

Sta all the way, int is not maxxed but well past 200,other important stats are maxxed in raid but sta always lacks behind...
Old 01-31-2019, 05:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Except wis/int are dependent on numerous factors and stamina is not. If you experience lag or go linkdead, all that mana means nothing. If you get blinded, bash stunned or push interrupted, same difference. If you're hauling ass to the zoneline as a paladin, the only spell you'll have time to stop and cast is divine aura which costs all of 10 mana. For a shadow knight, the obvious choice is to feign death which is 60 mana.

In terms of min/max, there are more returns from int/wis than sta, but those returns mean nothing if you're dead. Also, if you have C2 than your mana bar isn't going to be empty really ever. With multiple FT items on at all times, the argument starts falling apart as well.

Admittedly, there have been times when I wished I put more, if not all points into int/wis, but there have also been times when I've survived with less than 60hp to spare.

Threads like these are proof that another BotB needs to occur at some point, not that pvp is a good indicator of pve skill. But the knights who win probably will be ones who put all of their starting points into agility, charisma, or dexterity but have a crown of narandi, deepwater bp, flowers, etc.
The consensus on red99 is all int/wisdom for Knights.

When you talking about the sort of gear you want for FT then you're stamina and strength should be almost be near the 200 mark, or close too it. Unless you're running around with N crown and bronze Armor which is possible.

What you fail to mention in your post is how many times you have died when 1 heal, or 1 more life tap could have saved you, or you were forced to zone/FD because the addition Lifetap heal could have turned the fight in your favour. I would wager that the 80 extra hp ( which you will cap naturally with gear and lose the value of it) has worked out far less in your favour than if you had an extra lifetap or heal.

I knight generally either BURNS his mana to save a fight, or floats in to keep agro ( FoL/DC), having an extra 200+ mana give or take you haven't maxed INT/WIS is when it falls in favour for those burn times - also for SKs fearkiting, 80HP isn't worth squadliy doodle compared to the 200 potential mana.

Also if you have your INT/WIS near cap you can adjust your gear to suit your other stats.

A smart knight goes all int/wisdom ( give or take the 5 agi thing, but if you twinking that wont matter really)
Last edited by White_knight; 01-31-2019 at 05:23 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 09:42 AM
Planar Protector

The consensus on blue is that red doesn't have enough players for a consensus. I'm willing to believe it though, but then paladins are different in pvp where I imagine fights can go sideways quicker and player character "adds" can't just lock onto you the way a mob can. There are places to hide, creative ways in which to buy time, which is key to this argument.

Mana is what you potentially have at your disposal; health is what you actually have. Your mana bar allows for more options, which is attractive, but it can't be depleted as quickly as your health bar. If everything in camp is under control, save for the occasional hiccup, mana is better.

There is some truth to your argument, but again, it does not factor in the time required to cast, with mobs that know your precise loc. Heals require a fair amount of uninterrupted time. Lifetaps are even worse, taking longer to cast and having a decent chance of being resisted, partially if not outright.

I can remember having to duck a lifetap in order to death peace instead because the cast time meant taking more damage than the lifetap would take back, if it even landed. I can remember using the quested fast-cast lifetap only to have it resisted, followed by death. Heals are more reliable, but then paladins don't have access to fsi. That isn't to say lifetaps and self heals haven't bought time for a late torpor/cheal, but they required time which created more risk than using divine aura or feign death and letting a monk offtank momentarily.

Knights have some very useful spells, but nothing so amazing to where I would rather have a complete mana clicky versus a complete heal clicky. There just isn't the same "oh shit" moment that arises when a hybrid tells the group "oom" as when the cleric or enchanter says that. What happens when I'm oom as a paladin/sk? The necromancer coughs up some of their mana.

Mana is potential but it's wasted if you don't create enough distance or don't have enough time to use it. If you're blind, you aren't casting anything that isn't hotkeyed and even that will be inefficient. If root breaks/resists repeatedly, on a significant train, you're dead with mana to spare. If you're being summoned, your mana really isn't going to save you. If the enchanter is dying to adds, you can heal/root/stun all you want but they only have so much rune/health so it's more about your reaction time and their skill/resist rate. Best bet is to aggro their charm hasted pet and try to survive the onslaught (and good luck getting more than one heal off on yourself). A deeper mana pool isn't going to save the enchanter, loh however will. Again, an instant spell effect that can be clicked or "cast" while moving is what swings most fights. If the enchanter dies, you can rez them and duel for theft of thought and you'll still have enough mana to continue tanking and, if not, there's always dw bracer.

Feign death? Until death peace enters the spellbar, that's your one chance at survival; if and when it fails, you will be wishing you had more hitpoints because the incoming mobs will destroy you before you can recast it (though 60 extra hitpoints usually aren't enough). "So just back against a wall and lifetap them in the meantime." Assuming you'll have mana to feign after, that still assumes lifetap will land in time and that it won't be resisted. Might as well just keep an Ivandyr's Hoop in your bags in that case. Those lifetaps equate to how much int overall? And they're instantaneous. That will swing a fight far more than the last drop of mana in your pool.

If it is really all about mana, than no one should ever roll a half elf paladin because it isn't min/max. By the same argument, no one should ever roll a ranger anything...except when they want to prove people wrong / play in hardcore mode.
Last edited by Ennewi; 01-31-2019 at 09:52 AM..
Old 01-31-2019, 10:15 AM
Planar Protector

Also, iirc there's supposedly a limit in the works for mana because our pools aren't currently classic.
Old 01-31-2019, 11:30 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
If it is really all about mana, than no one should ever roll a half elf paladin because it isn't min/max. By the same argument, no one should ever roll a ranger anything...except when they want to prove people wrong / play in hardcore mode.

Also, iirc there's supposedly a limit in the works for mana because our pools aren't currently classic.
On live rolled half elf paladin w 10 points each into wis & str, worked out fine (pure casual never raided.) Because it bugged me to be "below average" in a primary stat. Can't recall ever having a group wipe because my paladin went oom, and while death is (almost) always a case of insufficient hp groups don't wipe because of 60 hp on the tank. Here did same, worked out fine because paladin was pretty weak in Kunark era raiding here, mostly healed non-Iksar necros and ate death touches, joined in the "everybody heal Xxxx", occasionally tanked trash in sky when warriors were being lazy (made a cleric for Velious.)

Don't think that mana limit will affect hybrids, just maxxed casters, although I suppose there may be a hybrid or two who've pushed mana that high just to do it.
Closed Thread