Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Class Discussions > Tanks

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 12:53 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennewi [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Also, iirc there's supposedly a limit in the works for mana because our pools aren't currently classic.
The mana pool cap in the works is a cap for everyone, although few to no hybrids would ever reach it. What you're thinking of is the classic-era hybrid mana pool (hybrids originally had zero mana until level 9, and effectively always had mana pool equivalent X levels below their caster counterparts) which was removed as part of the velious-era hybrid upgrades. P99 is presently at or near correct for velious hybrid mana pools, although the mythical "green" server would need the era-appropriate changes.

I don't see 20 points of any stat mattering all that much. Any discussion here is, at best, debating fractions. Arguments can be made for strength, stamina, intelligence/wisdom, or even some of the other stats, depending on the specific situation for the user.

Danth
Old 01-31-2019, 01:04 PM
Planar Protector

25sta is not much, but 125hp means a lot when raiding... Putting points in dex or str is foolish as these will be capped, str maybe just with gear, dex definitely with buff... Int is harder... But less important than hp in the end...
Old 01-31-2019, 04:10 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaev [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
On live rolled half elf paladin w 10 points each into wis & str, worked out fine (pure casual never raided.) Because it bugged me to be "below average" in a primary stat. Can't recall ever having a group wipe because my paladin went oom, and while death is (almost) always a case of insufficient hp groups don't wipe because of 60 hp on the tank. Here did same, worked out fine because paladin was pretty weak in Kunark era raiding here, mostly healed non-Iksar necros and ate death touches, joined in the "everybody heal Xxxx", occasionally tanked trash in sky when warriors were being lazy (made a cleric for Velious.)

Don't think that mana limit will affect hybrids, just maxxed casters, although I suppose there may be a hybrid or two who've pushed mana that high just to do it.
Ah, correct. Only those with 4k mana would notice the mana cap by the looks of it.
https://www.project1999.com/forums/a.../t-284177.html

There are quite a few threads on this topic and it's interesting to see what side of the fence people fall on. Purecasters and priests probably laugh at us, whichever we choose, because the hp/mana being argued over isn't a lot.
Old 01-31-2019, 04:33 PM
Sarnak

I personally dumped nearly all my points into dex, on both my knights.
Old 01-31-2019, 08:23 PM
Planar Protector

I dumped 5 points into Agil and 20 in Str with my Eru Pally. Arguably dumb but twinking on a budget helped me wear high AC armor without many other stats. Even now with budget gear my unbuffed STR is like 140 star and with the gear I carry I’m like 105/140 until encumbered.

IMHO, there are ideal and less than ideal paths go go but hps are always welcome; I’d trade the points at this point but am far from capped in most grind groups. In the lower levels being able to carry some extra fine steel to sell though sure made life easier. All the pally races are closer than the SK ones. If the little sk’s can justify their decisions (I believe they can) 20 points isn’t going to make or break the class.

Edit: realized this is red focused. Yea mana often wins duels and I can see how in PVP it would as well. In typical grind/solo work on blue I rarely run around with a full gas tank so long as mana doesn’t become a limiting factor it seems there is always enough to finish the job. I also don’t raid and see my mana bar strictly as a wave of healing meter, that too I could see changing things up for.
Last edited by Snaggles; 01-31-2019 at 08:46 PM..
Old 02-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaleth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I personally dumped nearly all my points into dex, on both my knights.
I've often thought of trying this too, have you found it helps?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Banned

CHA for me
Old 02-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by White_knight [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I've often thought of trying this too, have you found it helps?
Personally, yes though I am sure the returns for me are a bit low atm due to an unbuffed value of 136 Dex. But I had talked to a Botb paladin who swore Dex was the best Stat to dump points into due to the benefit of procs over time.

Both knight classes benefit from this, and I believe there is at least one thread here in the tank section that states those benefits more eloquently than I can. The proc rate of stuns for paladins keeping agro, plus the DD undead procs could be beneficial. And when the Jeldorin comes out with the long awaited for Chardok 2.0 update, the self healing proc will come in very handy. SK's life tap procs, from spells.and weapon procs increase due to higher dex. Some others here can give the return rate based on dex and ratios, but I believe the procs rate are based per minute rather than how often you attack, so more procs would go off per swing on a slower weapon.

I will try to find the thread and post a link here. But personally, I have never regretted putting points into Dex, but I am also running a human, who is middle of the road anyway.
Old 02-01-2019, 03:58 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaleth [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Personally, yes though I am sure the returns for me are a bit low atm due to an unbuffed value of 136 Dex. But I had talked to a Botb paladin who swore Dex was the best Stat to dump points into due to the benefit of procs over time.

Both knight classes benefit from this, and I believe there is at least one thread here in the tank section that states those benefits more eloquently than I can. The proc rate of stuns for paladins keeping agro, plus the DD undead procs could be beneficial. And when the Jeldorin comes out with the long awaited for Chardok 2.0 update, the self healing proc will come in very handy. SK's life tap procs, from spells.and weapon procs increase due to higher dex. Some others here can give the return rate based on dex and ratios, but I believe the procs rate are based per minute rather than how often you attack, so more procs would go off per swing on a slower weapon.

I will try to find the thread and post a link here. But personally, I have never regretted putting points into Dex, but I am also running a human, who is middle of the road anyway.
This is something I've wondered about, but haven't tested at great length. Ultimately, the main deterrence for rerolling all dexterity came from this thread, specifically the post by Haynar. Also, I've noticed procs occurring more frequently by turning auto-attack on/off between swings, but never bothered to confirm those suspicions.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 PM
Sarnak

Yeah, I saw that thread to and in fact was the one I was thinking of. But a paladin on this server gave a list of reasons it was the stat I should dump my points into. He took second in the botb tournament at the time, being undefeated in all duels vs SK's and pallies prior to the competition taking 2nd place in the end by choice (he wanted Knight Gadwin) rather than Crusader. He chose it on live as well as a paladin and he never regretted it.

I really wish he still played, a decent guy and well knowledged. But hey, how can we argue with Haynar? I still don't regret it though, would most likely do it again if I re-rolled a human knight in another server. I would like to see the returns on a full dex buff with dex heavy gear to see if it indeed as good as Gadwin said. The procs would be glorious (if dex worked as intended).
Closed Thread