Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2019, 04:18 AM
Planar Protector

*self and previous target.

Thats how my client is set up. Tidl was cycle through closest npc for me.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:24 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimjam [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Sadly? Its an mmo! You're meant to be taking the other players into dungeons to farm items with them, not do everything solo and treat those players as npc vendors to buy the spoils of your soloing...
Still fun though, especially when you want to explore some of the dungeons that aren't popular. But I get your criticism.
Old 10-22-2019, 06:23 AM
Fire Giant

it's not too bad just setup key for closet target better then click target lol

they need to remove scroll out camera too.. should be first person other then using f9
Old 10-22-2019, 09:15 AM
Aviak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I disagree on some points. For me, this change makes for ‘the wrong kind’ of challenging, especially in the context of normal group grinding.

I love the enchanter class. It’s always been my favourite, to be the group’s safety net, always mindful of every danger, keeping track of each mob, and intuitively knowing when shit is about to hit the fan before it actually does. That’s the challenge of the class that I love. That’s the skill that makes “good CC rare to find”.

Taking away that difficulty, for the difficulty of clicking on pixels by shimmying around and mashing my mouse button, is not my idea of fun. It’s also not my idea of skill. It trades the intensity and difficulty of managing the dangerous circumstances of battle, for the arbitrary frustration of poorly designed controls. It’s “difficult” in the way that old NES games are difficult, rather than the way Dark Souls is.

I’m a casual player who never made it past 55. Not on my pre-Kunark enchanter, nor my P1999 enchanter. I just love the game, love playing with friends, and love the challenge of holding down a hurricane of mayhem with mind magic. I don’t care about cash farming, or the speed at which I can lock down mobs. I just want to have fun. This change makes the game much less fun.

This is also an accessibility issue. Gamers with physical disabilities, even issues as common as arthritis, are now being disabled from playing the game that they love. My RL friend has MS. He tried playing on beta with tab targeting gone. For him, it’s now truly and completely unplayable.

We were really stoked to play together in a static group of 4 other RL friends. We’ve been waiting for the green server for years. We’ve been vibrating with excitement since it was announced. Now, we’re all questioning whether or not we’ll play, if he can’t be part of it. And I’m sure he’s not alone. How many people have to be excluded from playing altogether, so that a small number of privileged people can have a more narrowly defined gameplay loop?

I understand the striving for the “truest classic experience”. I’m on board with 99% of it. But this one, I don’t agree with.
You admit its harder and yet deny it requires more skill. I'm also confused about your claim that it is poorly designed, as opposed to what? The real life experience of casting spells and fighting monsters? Ive got a solution for you: don't play it.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
I'm also confused about your claim that it is poorly designed, as opposed to what? The real life experience of casting spells and fighting monsters?
Uhh, yeah! Have you ever tried to do this IRL? I cannot even beat my cat and it cons green.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:34 AM
Sarnak

But remember guys classic EQ wasn't harder at all, we were all just a bunch of idiots who didn't know how to play.

Tab targeting definitely not classic. Will be tough to adjust to, but c'est la vie. Not the end of the world. Not putting a damper at all on my excitement for green.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:43 AM
Planar Protector

EQ is not suddenly unplayable because target cycling is no longer in game. You can still Tab target the nearest NPC, which is perfectly functional for most situations and classes. Removal of target cycling was mostly just an Enchanter nerf. Most other classes were not majorly impacted. The idea that a disabled person who was playing fine before, but now suddenly can't play at all is nonsense. At the very worst maybe they can't break difficult camps solo as an Enchanter anymore? But neither will many other fully-abled Enchanters for that matter. He can always play another class. Pretty sure a quadraplaegic who controls the mouse with his tongue could play a grouping Mage, for example. P1999 is probably the most handicapped accessible MMO out there due to the abundance of low APM classes.
Old 10-22-2019, 09:51 AM
Aviak

Treehorn also changed his comment to include the personal information about his friend... The comment i read only mentioned disabled people in general. Maybe the devs would work out an exemption for your friend... theyre pretty understanding fellows.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:46 AM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mead [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
My apologies good sir.

I always took pride in efficiency and being able to manage dangerous situations quickly. And most of the people I gamed with during my time did as well. It was fun being with top performers. And it allowed you to get shit done other people couldn’t if they weren’t performing at the same levels. It also gave people the opportunity to be better. This is a step in the wrong direction for a community that already has no shortage of baddies playing. Good for your classic purist stoner tho.
You could have just said "good for stuce"

Astuce [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]

<3 Mead
Old 10-22-2019, 11:56 AM
Scrawny Gnoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d_glasses [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
You admit its harder and yet deny it requires more skill. I'm also confused about your claim that it is poorly designed, as opposed to what? The real life experience of casting spells and fighting monsters? Ive got a solution for you: don't play it.
Which is harder, to cook spaghetti, or compose a violin concerto? Which requires more skill?

Now cut off your hands, and try to cook the spaghetti.

Cooking spaghetti without hands is hard in a different way. That doesn’t mean it requires more skill. It means it requires more endurance for frustration.

But I guess I’m the asshole for wanting to play violin. Some seem to have forgotten that the attitude of “if you don’t like the changes I want, don’t play this game”, is how we ended up with Luclin and PoP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexenu [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
EQ is not suddenly unplayable because target cycling is no longer in game. You can still Tab target the nearest NPC, which is perfectly functional for most situations and classes. Removal of target cycling was mostly just an Enchanter nerf. Most other classes were not majorly impacted. The idea that a disabled person who was playing fine before, but now suddenly can't play at all is nonsense. At the very worst maybe they can't break difficult camps solo as an Enchanter anymore? But neither will many other fully-abled Enchanters for that matter. He can always play another class. Pretty sure a quadraplaegic who controls the mouse with his tongue could play a grouping Mage, for example. P1999 is probably the most handicapped accessible MMO out there due to the abundance of low APM classes.
There’s a Karana of difference between a person living with disability to manage through one or two pulls, and sustaining through 30+ minutes at a time. My friend can barely grip a mouse. He can make a left click, but not with precision. Click targeting for him is a major challenge. He was playing on a mage.

I agree that EQ, with tab targeting, is an extremely accessible MMO. That’s one of the reasons we all played Blue in the first place.

Quote:
Treehorn also changed his comment to include the personal information about his friend... The comment i read only mentioned disabled people in general. Maybe the devs would work out an exemption for your friend... theyre pretty understanding fellows.
I didn’t want to tell his story without permission. It was a really hard emotional thing — there’s not many games he can play so he was really looking forward to green. The reason he was happy for me to include more personal details, is specifically that there are many more people like him who either won’t be able to play, won’t be able to play nearly as much, or for whom playing will be an exercise in painful frustration, because of the removal of tab targeting.

It is what it is.
Last edited by Treehorn; 10-22-2019 at 12:21 PM..
Closed Thread