Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > Blue Community > Blue Server Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 10:46 PM
Planar Protector

EQNext looks like a cheep Korean WoW clone so I'm already completely disinterested in playing it.
Old 09-06-2013, 10:55 PM
Sarnak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kika Maslyaka [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
on a nightmare level maybe with retarded buffed up difficulty, that doesn't scale...

You don't deserve to play good games if you don't play them properly. This is a classic EQ emulator server. Bitching about shit being inaccessible is fucking retarded.

You're bad and you should feel bad. D3 is the best Diablo game ever made, and it isn't even close.

Also, a dude.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:14 AM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And a lot of you guys sound like inexperienced teenagers unused to the long history of anticipation/disappointment that is the games industry. Some of us have been around long enough to recognize empty rhetoric when we hear it, and to recognize the early design signs of failure. None of this is new; it's all gone down many times before. EQ Next has mediocrity written all over it from several perspectives, and with a couple of exceptions (the voxel tech is potentially fantastic, and the AI talk is exciting if completely empty at this point - I've been involved in trying to build something very similar to what they are double-rainbowing over, and I can almost guarantee what ships will be a shadow of all their grandoise panel speak). Those of us making the call would love to be wrong, but we're not. Let's refer to this discussion 6 months after the game ships and see.

By they way, you have a hundred games like that already at your disposal. You don't need to wait for a Sony version of Disney MMO in a vague, bastardized fantasy universe to start playing.

P.S. in regards to polling the player base for core design ideas, it just shows they lack a strong cohesive vision. It sounds great on paper, but produces really pretty horrid games. The absolute first sign of a potentially great game is the antithesis of this idea. Afterall, as someone once said (and as I have found to be true over and over again), a camel is a horse designed by committee. One designed by a database of PR percentages and fanbois is going to be an impressive frankenstein of fail.
Polling the player base could be for several reasons, but ultimately it's to sell more copies at release. "We care, we listen, we want to make the game you want!" It doesn't necessarily mean that they will add any of that crap (especially because they seem to have Fable syndrome /wrists).

I would love to see them come out with a decent non-cartoon MMO that actually has half the play value of classic WoW or classic EQ. Will anyone do it? Probably not, at least not anyone with $$$ to throw at it and some grand marketing to not only make a quality game with minimal bugs, but also attract a large player base.

The very thing you talk about, waiting to see how the game is 6 months after release, is the main reason games are now designed visually and marketed toward the younger generations. They will push to get the game at release and will help cover the cost of making the game and hopefully add some profits. If the game is fun (at least to some degree) and has very few bugs, word will spread and then 6 months down the road you will probably buy it as well.

Not saying that waiting is a bad thing, but the business model demands more money and they gotta eat too!
Old 09-07-2013, 12:33 AM
Fire Giant

Yeah I agree. However, I wish game companies would leave me out of their business models. I don't care. If the game is good I'll play it. If it's not, I won't. You don't hear car manufacturers or clothing companies, or musicians, or movie makers harping on about how they need to eat and so trying to convince me of how I need to pay them a particular way. Just make the game because it's a good game. If they want to turn everything enjoyable into a business model and expose the revenue stream to me at every turn, they should go package food or something else mundane.

It's high time games companies took care of their own financial crap, stopped dumping it on the players, and started making what is worth making. The reason the industry is in such a nosedive right now is because all this marketing bullshit and money making motivation has strangled the creativity out of almost everything. The games suck as a result, and players are catching on to the fact and have stopped buying.
Last edited by t0lkien; 09-07-2013 at 12:36 AM..
Old 09-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Planar Protector

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0lkien [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
And a lot of you guys sound like inexperienced teenagers unused to the long history of anticipation/disappointment that is the games industry. Some of us have been around long enough to recognize empty rhetoric when we hear it, and to recognize the early design signs of failure...
Played EQ from it's release in 1999 and tried multiple other MMO's. I was disappointed with other hyped up MMO's like Vanguard for example, but it didn't turn me into a grumpy old fart set in my ways. MMO's are not my life, if EQNext bombs, sure I'll be disappointed, but I'll just move on with my life. But congratulations on being the Nostradamus of MMO games on being able to recognize the early design signs of failure, maybe you should go work for SOE *rolls eyes*.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM
Aviak

Quote:
Yeah I agree. However, I wish game companies would leave me out of their business models. I don't care. If the game is good I'll play it. If it's not, I won't. You don't hear car manufacturers or clothing companies, or musicians, or movie makers harping on about how they need to eat and so trying to convince me of how I need to pay them a particular way. Just make the game because it's a good game. If they want to turn everything enjoyable into a business model and expose the revenue stream to me at every turn, they should go package food or something else mundane.

It's high time games companies took care of their own financial crap, stopped dumping it on the players, and started making what is worth making. The reason the industry is in such a nosedive right now is because all this marketing bullshit and money making motivation has strangled the creativity out of almost everything. The games suck as a result, and players are catching on to the fact and have stopped buying.
Totally agreed. I've been out of the "beta testing while I pay" for some time now.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:32 PM
Fire Giant

Too many care bears now a days. Everyone votes they want contested content, but then they cry when it's actually implemented. Don't get your hopes up.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:28 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCB [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Literally everything you have ever typed on this forum has made me want to punch you in the face IRL.

This is infinitely nicer than my original rant I had posted here.
Time to step away from the keyboard, put down the mouse, and go outside then?
Old 09-08-2013, 01:39 AM
Fire Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by eqravenprince [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
Played EQ from it's release in 1999 and tried multiple other MMO's. I was disappointed with other hyped up MMO's like Vanguard for example, but it didn't turn me into a grumpy old fart set in my ways. MMO's are not my life, if EQNext bombs, sure I'll be disappointed, but I'll just move on with my life. But congratulations on being the Nostradamus of MMO games on being able to recognize the early design signs of failure, maybe you should go work for SOE *rolls eyes*.
The tone of my post was ironic in response to the post I linked BTW. MMO's are part of the modern era of gaming. Games have been going since the 70's, and the cycle has been the same, is what I'm saying. Anyone who waited excitedly through years of development and then months for the released product to appear on shelves and THEN suffered disappointment knows what I'm talking about. People are complaining about others writing the game off so early (peppered with the usual forum insults - congratulations on doing the same), so I'm pointing out why that is so.

But I get it, you guys just want to rant and flame and scatter hyperbole without any solid discussion. Fair enough, this is the internet. Flame on.
Last edited by t0lkien; 09-08-2013 at 03:00 AM..
Closed Thread