Project 1999

Go Back   Project 1999 > General Community > Off Topic

Closed Thread

Old 05-27-2018, 06:56 AM
Fire Giant

Default Classic Everquest II Server

How does the idea of a classic EQ II server sound after p99 blue reaches its final patch I know I would love something like this, I would love to hear your thought.

Zekay 60 Torpor Shaman - <Guild>
Old 05-27-2018, 07:01 AM
Banned

Would support... but they released a true progression server with original coding a couple of years ago. They'll likely do this regularly.
Old 05-27-2018, 07:54 AM
Sarnak

Ya know I never got to play EQ 2, was it any good?
Old 05-27-2018, 09:01 AM
Sarnak

Meh...

I did play EQ2 beta, and then for a few months when it went live. I can't put my finger on it, but it was missing something big for me. I couldn't stay hooked. It had fast travel, but you had to discover the locations first which made it not entirely immersion breaking...

There were some really, really neat dungeons but they ended up feeling like a grind. Which being a fan of P99 you'd think I would enjoy but I didn't. I didn't like the skills or spells system at all. They had heroic spells and skills which involved casting the same few spells and skills over and over so you trigger a big boom bonus spell or skill. That was neat for a short while.

Most of the open world zones felt bland and empty. Like... Lazily bland and empty. That Zek zone was just a cluster fuck, imo. Nek forest is really neat though! I also recall when EQ2 went live that you needed to quest for a key to enter Nek, and that was neat. Never checked out the raid scene, maybe that was fun.

They promised voice over for all NPC's and then gave up on it. They had some true talent for the voice overs too. That was too bad.. Most quests didn't immerse me. Many felt like kill x number of this, and x number of that, then collect x of these.

I wouldn't play classic EQ2, and I doubt much of the P99 population would enjoy it either.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:05 AM
Planar Protector

I would at the very least give it a try

I do like the set and setting of EQ - I never gave EQ2 a proper go way back when, so I would try it now
Old 05-27-2018, 09:46 AM
Planar Protector

Will it be just as buggy and terrible as the real EQ2 release? [You must be logged in to view images. Log in or Register.]
There is a reason it never got super popular.

Also this thread belongs in Off Topic. Server Chat is for Everquest and Project 1999 discussion. everquest 2 Does Not Equal everquest.
Told this to Rogean, Nilbog & Menden.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:49 AM
Fire Giant

EQ2 looks like ass
Old 05-27-2018, 09:59 AM
Sarnak

I think you helped me pinpoint my disdain for EQ2. I expected EQ 2.0 and got EQ2. EQ2 did not feel like Everquest.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:12 AM
Fire Giant

I kinda enjoyed EQ2 but it never really was the same appeal as EQ1 to me. PvP was fun with all the different builds you could make like the melee warden.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM
Fire Giant

They didn't get around to fixing most of EQ2 until the first expansion or so, so vanilla would be terrible.

EQ2 was pretty fun, despite the more WoW-like model where quests took the place of grinding mobs for experience. I suppose that can be considered a good thing, but it really did put the game on rails a bit.

I loved the classes and ability to do fairly long quests to switch faction to get the race/class combos you like. The models, capes, mounts and armor were well done as well. Epic weapon particle effects were cool for the most part. Brigand comes to mind.

Raids were thoughtful and challenging! Most raids required guilds to practice encounters a ton before beginning to be successful. Veeshan's Peak comes to mind in Kunark, and there were some doozy encounters in subsequent expansions all the way up until...

...Velious, where they broke the game by completely re-itemizing and changing the statistical mechanics. So, all the tricked-out cool BiS raid gear you have? Pretty much null and void for your slog to the next level cap. Of course, equipment replacement on a new level cap is inevitable, but BiS previously had enough overlap to give you a leg up on the next set of raid encounters.

Blah blah blah, many folks ended their EQ2 adventures there. I am sure there was some cool stuff in there, but with that abrupt end to meaningful progression, there just wasn't much of a carrot to keep chasing.

Player housing and guild housing/features were fun, as was the tradeskill system (after they fixed a few death bugs (yes, death bugs)).

Most of the raid content was instanced, so most of the competition was progress-based as opposed to simply all content going towards the zergiest or unemployediest. There was open world stuff to kill, but it wasn't required for gear progression.

PvP was instanced and really fun (IMO) once they implemented and fixed. It also eventually had special gear you could purchase using a PVP-dollars sort of mechanism, which was perfect for alts to gear up. I'm not sure how regular server-PVP went as I never tried.
Closed Thread